Sailing the Karina C

Vessel Name: Karina C
Vessel Make/Model: Spencer 35
Hailing Port: Nanaimo, B.C.
Crew: Jay + Anita Bigland
About: We are a crew of 2 ready to take on adventure on the Pacific Coast. We have returned from sailing to Mexico from 2010-15.
Extra: email us at jayanitabigland@gmail.com
25 July 2023 | Home port
25 July 2023 | Home Port
12 July 2023 | Poet’s Cove
21 May 2023 | Home port
14 August 2022 | Home port
20 July 2022 | Home port
15 April 2022 | Nanaimo Home
14 April 2022 | Nanaimo
13 April 2022 | Saltspring Yacht Club
12 April 2022 | Van Isle Marina
11 April 2022 | Van Isle Marina
09 April 2022 | Van Isle Marina
08 April 2022 | Van Isle Marina
07 April 2022 | Sidney Spit Marine Park
06 April 2022 | Montague Harbour
05 April 2022 | Clam Bay
30 March 2022 | Home Port- Nanaimo
10 February 2022 | Mill Bay
06 September 2021 | Home port
31 July 2021 | Home port
Recent Blog Posts
25 July 2023 | Home port

Ode to Old Age

We made it back in time to do a little work on a project we have going in the back yard: a retaining wall. We have bought 4 palettes of bricks and we are about to lay them. We've hired a young man who is a very good worker and he has been ever so helpful. Today I (Jay) went to the ophthalmologist's office [...]

25 July 2023 | Home Port

Poet's Cove to Home

Heading N on Trincomali Channel

12 July 2023 | Poet’s Cove

To Poet’s Cove

Beautiful costumes at Mexican Festival

21 May 2023 | Home port

First Big cruise of 2023

Jay & Anita at Tod Inlet

14 August 2022 | Home port

August Cruise

Rion and Michelle Berg at Gowland Point

20 July 2022 | Home port

Out for a couple of weeks

In late June, Anita’s shoulder and my eye healed sufficiently to make a little journey on Karina C.

More La Cruz

25 December 2011 | Marina Riviera De La Cruz
Jay/ Warm
The Cross (La Cruz) of Huanacaxtle (of Huanacaxtle [tree])


12/18
Feeling 100% there days. Went to the fair today and Anita is getting a custom fitted swimsuit in hot pink (o La la!).
Tonight, we are probably heading over to Anna Banana’s for the jam session at 1700. Once I get to quaff a couple of beers, we are heading back to Karina for supper, movie and to bed. The weather continues to be in the mid 80s F. We are not swimming these days as there is so much music going on in the evenings, we don’t have time during the days.

Later

Anna Banana’s turned out to be a bust. They have a regular band there, so there is no jam session as we would understand it. We were just as happy to go for a walk and went back to our neighbour and made plans for a carol session with the kids next week.
12/19
The carol sessions is taking shape. I will put together some songs and we will rock and roll with the kids tomorrow. Then, at 1600 every afternoon, we will carol from 1600-1700.
We were offered a gig at a local restaurant to play next Saturday evening (Christmas Eve). We get a buffet and drinks so, for Mexico, it is a pretty good looking deal. We don’t have work visas, so all we can do is swap service anyhow.
Anita did some housecleaning on Karina and the place looks great today. She did that while I was out BSing and making plans for the kids carol gigs.
12/21
Today is the shortest day of the year. From here on, it just gets better. The temperature is in the low 80s and the sun is shining. We went in to MEGA this morning. Christmas sales were abounding. We have enough breakfast cereal and pop to keep us afloat until well into the new year. I get pretty near all the booze I can handle when I play at the various bars and restaurants here in town. Life is good here. Because we had such a huge load of food from MEGA to lug back to the boat, we took one of the vans. I paid the driver a little extra as we occupied the entire back row with our groceries. It was a slow day and, fortunately, he didn’t have to turn away any rides because of our load of groceries.
12/25
Lovely morning. We went over to The Octopus’s Garden restaurant last night and played some music for an hour. We were happy to play for the T shirts they produce. They have excellent designs and are of good quality material. After the restaurant gig we went back to the marina and BSed with the crew of Amaranth (the 2 Bills and a Joyce). We played music until 2200 and then went to bed.
This morning we got going a little late and headed for the market at 1000. Anita picked up her custom made hot pink swimsuit. 500 pesos. She looks great! At the end of the market we noticed some dancers walking towards the market, so Anita hustled back to the boat and got the camera while I practiced my craft (BS).
After we watched the dancers for a while, we went over to Anna Banana’s and watched a great guitar player. He has just returned from studying in Spain for an extended period. He is truly a remarkable young musician. The side musicians were excellent too.
Life around here has been a lot of fun. Lots of music. Not enough time for sailing. So sailing has lost out …. for a while. The weather has been warm (high 70s F). Not hot enough to inspire us to go swimming. When it has been warm enough, the wind gets up and the waves discourage us from leaving the marina.
Tonight we are heading over for Christmas supper at Full and Bye (Dick and Anne). New years we are invited to a rooftop party. With the number of Mexicans out shooting guns into the air at midnight, we are not sure we want to go! We will probably take a chance.
Last Wednesday night we went out with Bill and Jean (Mita Kuuluu) and listened to the Banderas Bay Jazz Allstars. Great music. Although the style was radically different from our Tuesday crew, the band and music reminded me of the wonderful Tuesday afternoons I have enjoyed with Marv, Gerry, Kevin, Mike and Ray. I do hope you guys are doing well and ready for me to rejoin the group in the spring. The sax player is virtuosic and obviously uncommonly talented but I kept missing Gerry’s lyrical lines. Bryan Savage had a metal mouthpiece and a square chamber that made the Alto Sax sound a very hard instrument. The piano player was great and was very lyrical as well as gentle. A good and interesting counterpoint to the sax. The bass and drummer were very competent as well.
This afternoon I am in quest of wifi. The marina’s wifi is pathetic. I managed to squeeze a call to Mom yesterday. It is annoying to not be able to contact our family while we are down here.
Comments

About & Links