Sailing the Karina C

Vessel Name: Karina C
Vessel Make/Model: Spencer 35
Hailing Port: Nanaimo, B.C.
Crew: Jay + Anita Bigland
About: We are a crew of 2 ready to take on adventure on the Pacific Coast. We have returned from sailing to Mexico from 2010-15.
Extra: email us at jayanitabigland@gmail.com
25 July 2023 | Home port
25 July 2023 | Home Port
12 July 2023 | Poet’s Cove
21 May 2023 | Home port
14 August 2022 | Home port
20 July 2022 | Home port
15 April 2022 | Nanaimo Home
14 April 2022 | Nanaimo
13 April 2022 | Saltspring Yacht Club
12 April 2022 | Van Isle Marina
11 April 2022 | Van Isle Marina
09 April 2022 | Van Isle Marina
08 April 2022 | Van Isle Marina
07 April 2022 | Sidney Spit Marine Park
06 April 2022 | Montague Harbour
05 April 2022 | Clam Bay
30 March 2022 | Home Port- Nanaimo
10 February 2022 | Mill Bay
06 September 2021 | Home port
31 July 2021 | Home port
Recent Blog Posts
25 July 2023 | Home port

Ode to Old Age

We made it back in time to do a little work on a project we have going in the back yard: a retaining wall. We have bought 4 palettes of bricks and we are about to lay them. We've hired a young man who is a very good worker and he has been ever so helpful. Today I (Jay) went to the ophthalmologist's office [...]

25 July 2023 | Home Port

Poet's Cove to Home

Heading N on Trincomali Channel

12 July 2023 | Poet’s Cove

To Poet’s Cove

Beautiful costumes at Mexican Festival

21 May 2023 | Home port

First Big cruise of 2023

Jay & Anita at Tod Inlet

14 August 2022 | Home port

August Cruise

Rion and Michelle Berg at Gowland Point

20 July 2022 | Home port

Out for a couple of weeks

In late June, Anita’s shoulder and my eye healed sufficiently to make a little journey on Karina C.

The best and worst of La Cruz

14 January 2012 | Marina Riviera De La Cruz
Jay/ Hot
Last Monday we went for a ride on the zip lines up in the hills behind Puerto Vallarta. We started to get an idea of how much trouble we were in for when the “bus” we were on was really a modified F 350 with bench seats. Just when our bums got numb, we turned around and were struck by the fact that we were the oldest people on the bus by at least 25 years. After an hour and a half bus ride through PV and up into the hills, we got off in the hilltops. We were greeted by a very professional bunch of Mexican guides who hooked us up with harnesses and small pulleys for travelling the zip lines.
We then hiked up to the first zip line and were promptly hooked up to a line and sent on our way down a zip line. I was second and before I knew it, I was flying through the air and roaring down the zip line looking 100 feet down into the jungle. We went on 11 zip lines and, by the time we were around, we were having a pretty good time.
At the end, our guide Raphael, set us on some donkeys and we were on our way back to the top of the hill. We had a small meal and were soon on the numb bum bus back to Bucerias. It was a great day.
The rest of the week has been musical and slowly getting ready for the trip North. We washed Karina front to back and ran the motor for a few minutes yesterday.
1/14
Got a late start today. Went for a long walk and visited the WC. Last night we went to see an “unbelievable” show. It was Los Lobos Salteras. 2 girls were performing. The first set started over an hour late after the girls finally got set up. They had candles in paper bags all over the place. That should have been a clue as to what was about to happen.
The first set consisted of the 2 girls singing. One would put out a beat box sound with their mouth and a microphone. The other would sing. The thing that kinda got my attention was how far down in pitch they would go from where they started. The lyrics were unintelligible.
However, that was a pleasure compared to the second set. My attention was galvinized when the smell of gasoline came from backstage. With no fire suppression other than the wide eyed restaurant owner holding a CO2 backstage, they proceeded to bobble and drop flaming bits attached to a chain and a flaming hula hoop. Bill and Jean were with us at the show. Bill immediately chose discretion over staying in the front row. As the hula hoop was dropped twice: once just in front of us and another time into the PA system, I was beginning to wish they would start singing again. My attention was riveted as I was watching every move to see where the next accident was going to happen. Blessedly, the performance was over after what seemed like an eternity. Anita kept her drink to use as a fire extinguisher. As the candles in the paper bags burned down the bags caught fire and there were little spot fires all over the place to deal with.
The entire evening was redeemed by an excellent singer/guitarist who came on after the girls finished.
BTW- here is a link to the Joe Banana Band performing at the Britannia Pub last Tuesday night. The trumpet player (Pete) got off in the wrong key and decided to keep it that way. The sound is terrible. Anita was her usual excellent. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckwSYWvgBag&feature=related
Comments

About & Links