Sailing the Karina C

Vessel Name: Karina C
Vessel Make/Model: Spencer 35
Hailing Port: Nanaimo, B.C.
Crew: Jay + Anita Bigland
About: We are a crew of 2 ready to take on adventure on the Pacific Coast. We have returned from sailing to Mexico from 2010-15.
Extra: email us at jayanitabigland@gmail.com
25 July 2023 | Home port
25 July 2023 | Home Port
12 July 2023 | Poet’s Cove
21 May 2023 | Home port
14 August 2022 | Home port
20 July 2022 | Home port
15 April 2022 | Nanaimo Home
14 April 2022 | Nanaimo
13 April 2022 | Saltspring Yacht Club
12 April 2022 | Van Isle Marina
11 April 2022 | Van Isle Marina
09 April 2022 | Van Isle Marina
08 April 2022 | Van Isle Marina
07 April 2022 | Sidney Spit Marine Park
06 April 2022 | Montague Harbour
05 April 2022 | Clam Bay
30 March 2022 | Home Port- Nanaimo
10 February 2022 | Mill Bay
06 September 2021 | Home port
31 July 2021 | Home port
Recent Blog Posts
25 July 2023 | Home port

Ode to Old Age

We made it back in time to do a little work on a project we have going in the back yard: a retaining wall. We have bought 4 palettes of bricks and we are about to lay them. We've hired a young man who is a very good worker and he has been ever so helpful. Today I (Jay) went to the ophthalmologist's office [...]

25 July 2023 | Home Port

Poet's Cove to Home

Heading N on Trincomali Channel

12 July 2023 | Poet’s Cove

To Poet’s Cove

Beautiful costumes at Mexican Festival

21 May 2023 | Home port

First Big cruise of 2023

Jay & Anita at Tod Inlet

14 August 2022 | Home port

August Cruise

Rion and Michelle Berg at Gowland Point

20 July 2022 | Home port

Out for a couple of weeks

In late June, Anita’s shoulder and my eye healed sufficiently to make a little journey on Karina C.

Still at the marina

23 December 2012 | Marina de La Paz
Jay/ Warm
Merry Christmas from La Paz!
12-23
We are finally in slip 130. We moved over a couple of days ago when the previous tenant moved out. It's a little cooler here and the bugs are not as bad. Bruce and Judy (JUCE) are a couple of boats down from us.
Our racing team has dwindled down to just me and Captain Brad. One guy has sailed off to Puerto Vallarta, one guy is leaving for Equador, and the other is heading for Fiji. Such is the lot of living in such a transient spot as La Paz. We will have to consider augmenting the crew for the next race next month. Brad brought Scaramouche into Marina Cortez for a week to change batteries and clean up his boat. The work is going well, but the marina has very poor facilities. The docks are anchored with no pilings. It's not likely to survive a summer hurricane and the owners are fatalistic about the situation.
We went to church today. Another good service at Crossroads Church. (http://www.crossroadslapaz.org/welcome.asp)
The Bluewater Cruising Association always mentions they are composed of dreamers doers and doners. There is more than the usual allotment of dreamers here in La Paz:
"Brenda" and "Mac" are young dreamers at the marina. They have recently bought their first boat and are preparing it for French Polynesia. They have a 2 year old onboard as well. I have not seen the 2 year old with a life jacket on. They were gushing about their plans. I asked about their plans for the passage. They didn't know about posting a bond once they get to the Marquesas (a $1800 per individual expense). They were also unaware that joining the Pacific Puddle Jump provides and exemption for the bond posting. No SSB or HAM radio. Dunno what they will do for weather information. This is just one example of the many folks we meet in this town. Most are much more practical. However there are those people who are determined to keep knowledge and experience from standing in their way.
Dodger Danny has been working diligently. He has completed the sail cover and is working on the main parts of the dodger and bimini. By Monday he will have the forward part of the dodger completed. The top of the bimini is next. I will take a picture when things are completed. I like the colour. It's way better than the old colour.
I have been busy with musical projects. Jam sessions and church music have been occupying our time lately.
We have been doing a little preliminary planning for the water tank. Brad has made some suggestions that make sense. I will be looking for some indoor/outdoor carpeting to be a bed for the water tank. That should keep the tank from wearing too badly.
Comments

About & Links