Sailing the Karina C

Vessel Name: Karina C
Vessel Make/Model: Spencer 35
Hailing Port: Nanaimo, B.C.
Crew: Jay + Anita Bigland
About: We are a crew of 2 ready to take on adventure on the Pacific Coast. We have returned from sailing to Mexico from 2010-15.
Extra: email us at jayanitabigland@gmail.com
25 July 2023 | Home port
25 July 2023 | Home Port
12 July 2023 | Poet’s Cove
21 May 2023 | Home port
14 August 2022 | Home port
20 July 2022 | Home port
15 April 2022 | Nanaimo Home
14 April 2022 | Nanaimo
13 April 2022 | Saltspring Yacht Club
12 April 2022 | Van Isle Marina
11 April 2022 | Van Isle Marina
09 April 2022 | Van Isle Marina
08 April 2022 | Van Isle Marina
07 April 2022 | Sidney Spit Marine Park
06 April 2022 | Montague Harbour
05 April 2022 | Clam Bay
30 March 2022 | Home Port- Nanaimo
10 February 2022 | Mill Bay
06 September 2021 | Home port
31 July 2021 | Home port
Recent Blog Posts
25 July 2023 | Home port

Ode to Old Age

We made it back in time to do a little work on a project we have going in the back yard: a retaining wall. We have bought 4 palettes of bricks and we are about to lay them. We've hired a young man who is a very good worker and he has been ever so helpful. Today I (Jay) went to the ophthalmologist's office [...]

25 July 2023 | Home Port

Poet's Cove to Home

Heading N on Trincomali Channel

12 July 2023 | Poet’s Cove

To Poet’s Cove

Beautiful costumes at Mexican Festival

21 May 2023 | Home port

First Big cruise of 2023

Jay & Anita at Tod Inlet

14 August 2022 | Home port

August Cruise

Rion and Michelle Berg at Gowland Point

20 July 2022 | Home port

Out for a couple of weeks

In late June, Anita’s shoulder and my eye healed sufficiently to make a little journey on Karina C.

Still in Evaristo

31 December 1969 | San Evaristo
Jay/ Warm
Walking with friends in San Evaristo.
Later in the afternoon the neighbour moved to a poorer spot (in my regard as to the safety of Karina) without any discussion. So we resolved to move over to Salinas on the S side of Isla San Jose. Soon after getting underway we noticed the wow back in the propshaft. It is sad since that is what we spent so much money on this winter over at the Berkovich yard. After brief consideration we have resolved to head for the barn from Puerto Escondido. From there we will slowly decommission Karina and take the propshaft and mixing elbow back to Canada where someone who knows something about these things can make it right. I will hire a Mexican to snuggle into the sail locker and winkle off the elbow and the propshaft. That job will take ½ of the day. The rest of the day will be the usual decommissioning procedures. We will spend the night at the marina and get going early the next morning(04/09).
Salinas was a nice spot. Soon after getting the hook down the alarm went on the engine. It turned out to be a plugged water intake. 3 hours later we had the intake cleared by blowing air from the dive tank into the water intake. Once that was done, we promptly proceeded to destroy the remains of the infastructure of the cooling system by breaking the wingnut off the salt water filter. I managed to drill into the plastic wingnut and drive a screwdriver into the hole and get the remaining part off the filter bowl. Then, I found a bolt and nut that had the same thread and got that into the hole. That was a break. Just so I wasn't through the job easily, I managed to drop the multiscrewdriver into the bilge and it took another 45 minutes to fish all the parts out.
The afternoon was very nice. We both had a seawater bath with a freshwater rinse. Then, while Anita worked on the supper salad, I laid on the foredeck and watched the wind clock from the S to W to NW and later to N. My lazy dreaming was interrupted by Anita's panicked screams of bees in the cockpit. Seems they liked the showerhead. I dragged the whole mess onto the foredeck and proceeded to kill the remaining bees(~30). Once they left, I had a brief nap in the V berth while Anita finished the salad. At 1600 we went over to the beach and had BBQed fish, steak, salad, lentils, cornbread muffins topped off with cold beer and some coke and the legendary Ron Reno. This we enjoyed supper with Steve (from Aurora), Cathy and Reno. We packed it up as darkness was approaching. We went back to Karina where we enjoyed a wonderful evening of feeding Anita's ego by playing backgammon.
It is 20:26 and I am getting ready for bed. Anita has been working on tomorrow's supper. We are hosting Cathy and Reno for supper and Mexican trains. In spite of the propshaft difficulties, we are surely happier here that we could be in Nanaimo with the cold and rain going on. We are anchored in a beautiful spot with a pretty girl making my eyes water by chopping onions. We will turn in soon as I can't take the crying.
Comments

About & Links