Sailing the Karina C

Vessel Name: Karina C
Vessel Make/Model: Spencer 35
Hailing Port: Nanaimo, B.C.
Crew: Jay + Anita Bigland
About: We are a crew of 2 ready to take on adventure on the Pacific Coast. We have returned from sailing to Mexico from 2010-15.
Extra: email us at jayanitabigland@gmail.com
25 July 2023 | Home port
25 July 2023 | Home Port
12 July 2023 | Poet’s Cove
21 May 2023 | Home port
14 August 2022 | Home port
20 July 2022 | Home port
15 April 2022 | Nanaimo Home
14 April 2022 | Nanaimo
13 April 2022 | Saltspring Yacht Club
12 April 2022 | Van Isle Marina
11 April 2022 | Van Isle Marina
09 April 2022 | Van Isle Marina
08 April 2022 | Van Isle Marina
07 April 2022 | Sidney Spit Marine Park
06 April 2022 | Montague Harbour
05 April 2022 | Clam Bay
30 March 2022 | Home Port- Nanaimo
10 February 2022 | Mill Bay
06 September 2021 | Home port
31 July 2021 | Home port
Recent Blog Posts
25 July 2023 | Home port

Ode to Old Age

We made it back in time to do a little work on a project we have going in the back yard: a retaining wall. We have bought 4 palettes of bricks and we are about to lay them. We've hired a young man who is a very good worker and he has been ever so helpful. Today I (Jay) went to the ophthalmologist's office [...]

25 July 2023 | Home Port

Poet's Cove to Home

Heading N on Trincomali Channel

12 July 2023 | Poet’s Cove

To Poet’s Cove

Beautiful costumes at Mexican Festival

21 May 2023 | Home port

First Big cruise of 2023

Jay & Anita at Tod Inlet

14 August 2022 | Home port

August Cruise

Rion and Michelle Berg at Gowland Point

20 July 2022 | Home port

Out for a couple of weeks

In late June, Anita’s shoulder and my eye healed sufficiently to make a little journey on Karina C.

The end of the 'Norther is in sight!

01 March 2013 | Salinas, Isla San Jose
Jay/ Hot
Notice the angle of the anchor chain!
We will be here into March for sure. The next several days look bad for travel. The good news is that we are probably going to be OK with the water situation without resorting to rationing.
We had a nice supper with Cathy and Reno. Reno brought some candies he made from desert cactus bulbs. It was very nice. Also the legendary Ron Reno (flavoured everclear) made a big hit with the boys.
Today we went walking up the arroyo S of where we were anchored to the remains of an old settlement from mining days. The wind today is definitely less than yesterday. Tomorrow is supposed to be the same as today. Thursday completes a long crescendo of wind that decrescendos on Friday to zip on Monday.
We will use Monday to head N to Puerto Escondido. The wow in the propshaft has me concerned. To ease my concerns, we will head straight for the barn from Puerto Escondido. We hope to motor and sail straight there. From San Carlos the boat issues will be less of a concern as we are just metres from the boatyard.
We had a pretty lively afternoon with winds in the high 20s. Tomorrow and the next day look to be the strongest winds. Fortunately they will still be from the N so we should be OK here in Salinas.
2030 The winds have settled down to the low teens. This will likely be the way of it until dawn when things will really start to get crazy. I feel so lucky to be in this place as the anchoring is great and, other than being a bit lumpy at times, is fine with us. We share this anchorage with 5 other boats. We have tentatively lined up a Mexican Trains game for the afternoon but, after looking at the GRIB files this evening, have decided to put the dinghy up on the deck so we are ready for anything. Looks like “anything” will be happening tomorrow and Friday.
3/1
Today is an “in day” as they used to say in Prince George. The winds are too high to attempt to take the dinghy off the foredeck. Anita and I read and slept this morning and in the afternoon took showers with salt and fresh water. At least we now don’t smell like cruisers!
Karina is riding well at anchor. Tomorrow is supposed to be a little bit down. Sunday is a possibility. Monday definitely seems to be a “go” day. It’s a good thing to as we are down to the dregs of the clean laundry. We hope to make Puerto Escondido in 2-3 days travel. I am a little concerned about the wow in the propshaft, but it went most of last season with it and all the trip to La Paz, so I guess we’ll probably be OK for a bit longer. I checked in on the Manana Net today. They won’t be on the air tomorrow as there is a big contest they are all a twitter about.
I am looking forward to getting the dinghy back in the water tomorrow so we can go for walks ashore. There is great walking on Isla San Jose. I am beginning to see why Cathy and Reno like it so much. Anita (Rockhound) is in her glory scooping up rocks and shells. I left Anita back at the boat yesterday and its amazing how fast Reno and I could travel without Rockhound stopping to examine rocks every 10 paces.
Comments

About & Links