Sailing the Karina C

Vessel Name: Karina C
Vessel Make/Model: Spencer 35
Hailing Port: Nanaimo, B.C.
Crew: Jay + Anita Bigland
About: We are a crew of 2 ready to take on adventure on the Pacific Coast. We have returned from sailing to Mexico from 2010-15.
Extra: email us at jayanitabigland@gmail.com
25 July 2023 | Home port
25 July 2023 | Home Port
12 July 2023 | Poet’s Cove
21 May 2023 | Home port
14 August 2022 | Home port
20 July 2022 | Home port
15 April 2022 | Nanaimo Home
14 April 2022 | Nanaimo
13 April 2022 | Saltspring Yacht Club
12 April 2022 | Van Isle Marina
11 April 2022 | Van Isle Marina
09 April 2022 | Van Isle Marina
08 April 2022 | Van Isle Marina
07 April 2022 | Sidney Spit Marine Park
06 April 2022 | Montague Harbour
05 April 2022 | Clam Bay
30 March 2022 | Home Port- Nanaimo
10 February 2022 | Mill Bay
06 September 2021 | Home port
31 July 2021 | Home port
Recent Blog Posts
25 July 2023 | Home port

Ode to Old Age

We made it back in time to do a little work on a project we have going in the back yard: a retaining wall. We have bought 4 palettes of bricks and we are about to lay them. We've hired a young man who is a very good worker and he has been ever so helpful. Today I (Jay) went to the ophthalmologist's office [...]

25 July 2023 | Home Port

Poet's Cove to Home

Heading N on Trincomali Channel

12 July 2023 | Poet’s Cove

To Poet’s Cove

Beautiful costumes at Mexican Festival

21 May 2023 | Home port

First Big cruise of 2023

Jay & Anita at Tod Inlet

14 August 2022 | Home port

August Cruise

Rion and Michelle Berg at Gowland Point

20 July 2022 | Home port

Out for a couple of weeks

In late June, Anita’s shoulder and my eye healed sufficiently to make a little journey on Karina C.

Marina Palmira

16 December 2013 | Marina Palmira- La Paz
Jay/Warm
Work seems to proceed slowly in a Mexican boatyard. We were fortunate to have Karina seen to quickly. Above is the ever vigilant yard foreman.
12/07
We looked at the yard bill today and we are satisfied the work was well done at a good price. Unfortunately, the predicted launch of Saturday will not happen. The glass job is well done. The 2 coats of primer have yet to materialize. Soooo it looks like they make get the sanding done today. Monday will be the paint and Tuesday we will touch water. That will happen right in the teeth of a Norther. It will make tying up at Palmyra difficult. It sometimes happens that it is a little tamer first thing in the morning. May it be so on Tuesday.
Anita went off to the money store today while I stayed around to supervise the lack of work on Karina.
This afternoon we will head off to Costa Lotta and hang at the pool.

12/09
We are still at Berkovich. They are sanding right now. Looks like the paint might go on today. Then we are ready to go into the water maybe tomorrow. The only problem: the winds are howling tomorrow.

12/10
The forecast howling winds have not materialized. Soooo they bottom paint is on and we are ready to put in tomorrow morning. The bottom paint is on and we are ready to go.
Anita was worried about her job so she made spaghetti last night. It worked, and I've assured her that her job as Amirable is safe We are having one last go at the pool at Costa Lotta before we head over to Marina Palmyra tomorrow. Karina looks good and ready for the water. I'll post pics of the finished job tomorrow.
In the afternoon, we had one last poach at the Costa Lotta pool. we'll miss the pool when we are at Palmyra.

12/11
After what seems like a long wait, they launched us! We are at Marina Palmyra. It is very nice here and we have pretty good wifi as well as showers and laundry. Anita will do a load tomorrow while I have a shower and catch up the blog.
We are in good company here on 3 dock. We are looking forward to commissioning the bikes and getting around town.
The good news is that Berkovich treated us like family. The bad news is they treated us like family. The good news is they did a very good repair on the boat and we should have no trouble from here on. We replaced the mineral oil in the depth sounder with old cooking oil. Works great! We now have a better working sounder than ever.

12/14
We've been at Palmyra for a few days. Today I swung into high gear. I dealt with the long awaited inverter/charger. That is waiting for our return to San Carlos. Then, I dealt with the remaining part of setting up the solar controller. The remote control is very cool. It tells me a number of things about the batteries that would be nice to know.
I still have a number of projects to deal with. I'll play hooky from church tomorrow and see if we can deal with getting supplies to deal with them.

12/16
Another couple of days roll by at Marina Palmira. We didn't see any goodies at the sale. Should have gone to church. I mixed gas today while Anita vacuumed the boat. We both beat the cushions and are airing them as we didn't do too much with cleaning while we were in the yard.
The norther has died down and a number of boats left today for Mazatlan and Puerto Vallarta. We are happy to stay here in La Paz as there is lots shaking here to keep us entertained. So far, the weather has been good. We are in shorts and T shirts almost every day.
As the winter goes on, the northers will get stronger and longer. Usually by the end of March the switch gets thrown and southerly conditions emerge. It is a gradual thing and sometimes you can find weak S conditions before that. This week there is a little wind coming in from the SW. It's not very strong.
Comments

About & Links