Sailing the Karina C

Vessel Name: Karina C
Vessel Make/Model: Spencer 35
Hailing Port: Nanaimo, B.C.
Crew: Jay + Anita Bigland
About: We are a crew of 2 ready to take on adventure on the Pacific Coast. We have returned from sailing to Mexico from 2010-15.
Extra: email us at jayanitabigland@gmail.com
25 July 2023 | Home port
25 July 2023 | Home Port
12 July 2023 | Poet’s Cove
21 May 2023 | Home port
14 August 2022 | Home port
20 July 2022 | Home port
15 April 2022 | Nanaimo Home
14 April 2022 | Nanaimo
13 April 2022 | Saltspring Yacht Club
12 April 2022 | Van Isle Marina
11 April 2022 | Van Isle Marina
09 April 2022 | Van Isle Marina
08 April 2022 | Van Isle Marina
07 April 2022 | Sidney Spit Marine Park
06 April 2022 | Montague Harbour
05 April 2022 | Clam Bay
30 March 2022 | Home Port- Nanaimo
10 February 2022 | Mill Bay
06 September 2021 | Home port
31 July 2021 | Home port
Recent Blog Posts
25 July 2023 | Home port

Ode to Old Age

We made it back in time to do a little work on a project we have going in the back yard: a retaining wall. We have bought 4 palettes of bricks and we are about to lay them. We've hired a young man who is a very good worker and he has been ever so helpful. Today I (Jay) went to the ophthalmologist's office [...]

25 July 2023 | Home Port

Poet's Cove to Home

Heading N on Trincomali Channel

12 July 2023 | Poet’s Cove

To Poet’s Cove

Beautiful costumes at Mexican Festival

21 May 2023 | Home port

First Big cruise of 2023

Jay & Anita at Tod Inlet

14 August 2022 | Home port

August Cruise

Rion and Michelle Berg at Gowland Point

20 July 2022 | Home port

Out for a couple of weeks

In late June, Anita’s shoulder and my eye healed sufficiently to make a little journey on Karina C.

Going home

28 May 2015 | Ganges
Jay/warm
The next day, we decided to buck the current in Baynes Passage and head N early so we could make it to Portland Island before supper. In Baynes Passage we slowed down to 1 knot for a while. Eventually our motor prevailed over the current and we were bucking a much tamer current in Haro Strait. We sailed a bit up near Sidney Island and motored most of the way up to Portland Island. We were late getting into the anchorage and it was almost full - except for the volunteer park host dock was not in use yet. So we decided to fill in and tie up there. We had a quiet night there. The next morning we decided nobody was going to buck Baynes Passage from the Royal Vic (park hosts) until late in the morning at best. So we got going early and walked the island. It was a bit of a scramble, but we made it around in just over 3 hours. There were a lot of bugs on the way. That kept us at a sprightly pace. As the morning went on they were not so voracious and the walk became much more pleasant. We got on our way just before lunch and motored in calm conditions over to Russell Island and looked it over. We didn't stop as we were expected over at Heinz and Lisa's for the evening for a meal and showers. We got in to Ganges at 1330 and Heinz was there to meet us at the dock. We were soon squared away and went over to his place. He took us for a grub run and back to his place for showers and a meal. We had a wonderful visit with them and we got back to our boat around 2000 and soon we were in bed.
This morning we took a leisurely walk around the docks and then got on our way around 1030. We motored through Captain Passage and then across to Montague Park. After anchoring and lunch, we walked the park. We came back to Karina in the mid afternoon and while I napped, Anita made beef and broccoli stir fry. After supper we watched part of a movie, a full episode of Bonanza and then Anita went off to bed while I stay up to update the blog.
I must say, after revisiting all our old haunts down here THERE IS NO PLACE LIKE HOME. I don't regret our adventure as it has reaffirmed to me that Canada is one of the best places to live. Certainly the cruising here in the Gulf Islands is superior to anything you might experience in the tropics. But..... each person has to find their best cruising and life for themselves. Coming back to Canada was a cruise killin mistake for us as every summer just got sweeter and every winter S got more and more challenging. Mexico was not a happy experience for us as there was always a little knot in my stomach waiting for the other shoe to drop. We both feel a little sad about shipping Karina home rather than sailing her. Unfortunately the medical powers that be earnestly suggested that I need to be closer to them than an extended passage would allow. Anyhow, we now have Karina back here to enjoy the summer and we are glad of it.
Comments

About & Links