Finally, we are away from the dock!
16 May 2017 | S Pender Island
The view from Poet's Cove coffee shop.
At long last, we made it away from the dock. THe re-alignment of the motor also identified the fact that the transmission needed a minor rebuild. While we were at the dock, the check valve in the foot pump gave way, so we replaced it with a Jabsco check valve. The water would cycle through the pressure side and backwards through the foot pump and then back through the pressure side. The Jabsco check valve was incorrectly assembled and had to be rebuilt 2x in hopes of stopping the leaking. It will take one more time, but it will have to wait until I get home because the place I have to go into the check valve is a little bit of a grimy hole. It is a minor inconvenience to have to keep the pressure low when there is water in the line. I have been warned about Jabsco products before, but I though check valves are pretty simple engineering. My bad.
The mechanic we had was (again) a rookie (first week on the job). For $100 an hour I watched him drop several tools into the bilge, until I realized that, if I were to retain financial solvency, I'd better help this guy. Eventually, he did a reasonably decent job of it. The new motor mounts are vastly superior to the old ones. The alignment was checked over by Ben Gartside himself, so I have no doubt of the quality of the job. So, 2.5 weeks after the job was supposed to be done, it is done.
Yesterday morning we left under rainy skies. We motored over to Sidney Island. Eventually boredom took over and we headed over to the Island and walked the park 2x. It was so cold last night, we started the heater while we watched a movie. We turned off the heat for sleeping as we are still in the winter sleeping bag. This morning we took the last of the upcoming tide and cast off at 0600 for S Pender Island. We are tied to a mooring can in Bedwell harbour waiting for the BCA rendezvous. While we came in, we saw a BCA boat leaving. It seems like we are the only BCA boat here at this point. Maybe somebody else might drift in tonight.
The weather has improved somewhat although it is still chilly. I think the forecast was for 12C today. It is forecast that, after we get home, the weather will warm up in time for us to get our bikes running.