Sailing the Karina C

Vessel Name: Karina C
Vessel Make/Model: Spencer 35
Hailing Port: Nanaimo, B.C.
Crew: Jay + Anita Bigland
About: We are a crew of 2 ready to take on adventure on the Pacific Coast. We have returned from sailing to Mexico from 2010-15.
Extra: email us at jayanitabigland@gmail.com
25 July 2023 | Home port
25 July 2023 | Home Port
12 July 2023 | Poet’s Cove
21 May 2023 | Home port
14 August 2022 | Home port
20 July 2022 | Home port
15 April 2022 | Nanaimo Home
14 April 2022 | Nanaimo
13 April 2022 | Saltspring Yacht Club
12 April 2022 | Van Isle Marina
11 April 2022 | Van Isle Marina
09 April 2022 | Van Isle Marina
08 April 2022 | Van Isle Marina
07 April 2022 | Sidney Spit Marine Park
06 April 2022 | Montague Harbour
05 April 2022 | Clam Bay
30 March 2022 | Home Port- Nanaimo
10 February 2022 | Mill Bay
06 September 2021 | Home port
31 July 2021 | Home port
Recent Blog Posts
25 July 2023 | Home port

Ode to Old Age

We made it back in time to do a little work on a project we have going in the back yard: a retaining wall. We have bought 4 palettes of bricks and we are about to lay them. We've hired a young man who is a very good worker and he has been ever so helpful. Today I (Jay) went to the ophthalmologist's office [...]

25 July 2023 | Home Port

Poet's Cove to Home

Heading N on Trincomali Channel

12 July 2023 | Poet’s Cove

To Poet’s Cove

Beautiful costumes at Mexican Festival

21 May 2023 | Home port

First Big cruise of 2023

Jay & Anita at Tod Inlet

14 August 2022 | Home port

August Cruise

Rion and Michelle Berg at Gowland Point

20 July 2022 | Home port

Out for a couple of weeks

In late June, Anita’s shoulder and my eye healed sufficiently to make a little journey on Karina C.

Set.....

03 January 2018 | Ft. Lauderdale
Jay/ Wet
Inside the cruise ship terminal

Tuesday, January 2 1000

We were up a few minutes before the alarm went off at 0455. Had a nice breakfast of cheerios and coffee. Got to the airport at 0615. Boarded the plane at 0815.
Then we sat at the terminal
And sat.
And sat.
At 0915 we started moving again. By that time, I got a severe case of numbum. So did Anita. Our stewardess looks like Tammy Faye Bakker's makeup teacher. No idea of what she looks like behind all that makeup and false eyelashes. We had a French teacher back in high school that must have put her makeup on with a trowel.
The crew says they will make up for the time we sat at the airport by reckless flying. We'll see how that goes. So far, my bum has achieved a blissful state of paralysis where I can't feel anything. My seat mate is snoring. Anita is dozing and I am writing. The young fellow to my left is a criminal justice student from Florida. I guess that means he knows how to survive in the slammer or commit the perfect crime. Says he wants to work for ATF when he graduates. I guess these folks go around and make sure every American is equipped with a bottle of booze, a package of Cuban cigars and an AK-47. That is mandatory equipment on the streets of Fort Lauderdale. Don't wanna mess with the little stuff. Do it right.
Almost everything is pay for on this flight. Fortunately, Anita swiped some fruit and a muffin from the breakfast buffet, so we'll be good until we land. We loose 3 hours on this flight. I will need to download the book on the watch when I get to the hotel so I can change the time zones. I want to start lunch as it is 2:00 pm in Fort Lauderdale, but its 11:00 am in Seattle.
We have never been to Ft. Lauderdale before. My only association is painting our boat above the waterline Lauderdale Blue. According to my seat mate, the town is only about a half hour drive N of Miami. The W Coast weather seems to have followed us to the East as it is supposed to be in the mid 60F (16C) so the pool will be off for us today. Probably get an early night and then go in quest for an electric razor in Ft. Lauderdale tomorrow. ( I forgot the electric cord)
Typically, the cruise ship terminal and the hotel are far away from a Target, Walgreens, or Walmart where I might get a cheap electric razor. I may have to run the power out on my razor and bleed from there. Anita says I should just grow a beard. I know what that means: no smooching for the vacation as she never kisses a grizzly face.
2126
We just finished supper at the bar+grill at the restaurant. There was no other place to eat. In the restaurant was comedian Kareoke. These guys were proof of life after death. The comedy made me look like Bob Hope. Then, We flee back to our room and turn on the news to hear President Kim declare he has the nuclear button on his desk. President Trump responds he has a bigger button. I feel safe just knowing that.
We are to bed in a few minutes so we can get to the cruise terminal early and go off in quest for an electric razor. My next best hope is the US Virgin Islands. All the rest of the islands run on 220V I suspect.
Comments

About & Links