Jabula: Beyond the Horizon

20 June 2013 | Luganville
03 March 2012 | Canada
01 January 2012 | Nanaimo - San Carlos
23 February 2008 | Bahia de Chamela
14 February 2008 | La Cruz de Huanacaxtle
11 February 2008 | Chacala
15 January 2008 | Isla Isabella
17 December 2007 | La Paz, Mexico
13 November 2007 | La Paz, Mexico
10 November 2006 | Monterey
03 November 2006 | Half Moon Bay
29 September 2006 | Coos Bay

The Voyage continues

10 November 2006 | Monterey
So there we were - nursing slight hangovers from the farewell party the night before and trying to build up the courage to actually cast off from the security blanket that is one's home. Our daughter, Kristin had come to see us off and say a last good-by...which didn't make things any easier. But then it wasn't as though this was the first time. I mean we have done it before and this is the beginning of a wonderful adventure: Our second circumnavigation. But I guess it must have been the wild and crazy last minute dash to the start line that kind of threw us off balance. We were still recovering from the lightening-fast move from our house that had sold only a couple of weeks before our scheduled departure. What with trucking the boat from our back yard down to the boat yard, the packing up and moving of our furniture into storage, and the ferrying of our "boat stuff" down to the yard, we were zonked! Were it not for the invaluable and essential help from our wonderful friends Jordan and Judy of Sea Turtle II and our neighbour, Clive, it would have been a disaster. In fact if the weather hadn't been so kind to us it would have been a disaster too! By the time we had completed the move, Jabula was over her waterline with "boat stuff"...and she was still on the hard! Then came the marathon job of trying to stuff all that stuff into little Jabula that fell to Jeannie to do. I was busy trying to complete all those essential jobs that would make Jabula seaworthy again. Although we had been working on her for a solid six months, there were still the small matter of testing all the new equipment and systems. Our delayed house sale had put a severe kink in our plans to get her in the water by the end of July and we were now a month late on our departure date as well. Oh how the best laid plans, etc...
So there we were. Our shakedown cruise had consisted of a 4-hour motor from Canoe Cove Marina to the Royal Victoria Yacht Club and now we were about to set off on our next voyage. Good planning Captain!
But on Thursday, September 21st, 2006 the weather was perfect. A beautiful sunny day, with a fair wind that would give us a close-reach all the way to Port Angeles and a forecast of more good weather to come. We really couldn't delay any further so with very mixed feelings we cast off and got underway - the excitement tempered by the sad goodbyes.


8 Knotts!!

The sail to PA was a fitting start to our voyage and we arrived at Port Angeles at 5:30PM. Clearing into the USA could not have been easier and the customs officials were very relaxed and courteous. They didn't even come below. They asked if we had any beef aboard and we didn't. They didn't question us on our wine, beer or whisky stocks...for which I am grateful. Then they welcomed us to their country and hoped that we enjoyed our cruise. They also advised us that it is totally unnecessary to check in anywhere further down the coast until we reached San Diego where we would be checking out again. This was different to what I had heard recently.
So there we were - the first leg was over and it was time for a cold beer and a well-earned "quiet moment". We slept the sleep of the just...until it was time to leave...at 0200 hrs the next morning! We needed to catch the tide up the Juan de Fuca to Neah Bay. The weather was holding fine and we had to take advantage of it. Far from being the sleep of the just, it was more like "No rest for the wicked"!
The motor up the strait was uneventful with our new Beta engine performing flawlessly (Remember the extent of the shakedown? That included testing out the brand new engine!). We stopped in Neah Bay only long enough to take on fuel and then it was onward again - next stop Gray's Harbour. It was an overnighter and we had to motor all the way due to a severe lack of wind. At least we were getting the engine run in.
Gray's Harbour was a nice enough little fishing town and I managed to do the necessary oil change on the gear box and engine which was required at that point in the engine's young life. We also topped up with diesel, water and a good, complete two night's sleep.
When we departed Gray's Harbour we were rewarded with a 15 Kt wind out of the north-west that had us averaging 5 Kts. Early in the morning the fog rolled in and with it a US Coast Guard Cutter which just wouldn't get out of our way. Just kidding...they were great, but we did have a bit of a scare for the half-hour before we managed to make radio contact - watching this big blip on our radar dead ahead getting closer and closer. We tried to alter course (resulting in a sloppy beam-on sea) but it just seemed determined to stay on a collision course. Then we radioed a security message and they responded likewise...after which we were the best of mates, AND they got out of the way.
We arrived in Coos bay at around 2PM to take advantage of the flooding tide over the bar and the settled conditions. Not the most inspiring place in the world. It was described by one of the locals as "A Small Town with a Drinking Problem" - not a bad description really.
After Coos Bay it was on to Fort Bragg. What an interesting entrance! It just kept getting smaller and smaller as we approached. Certainly wouldn't like to enter at night or during fog. We were lucky and had perfect conditions. Not a bad little town - quite picturesque.
It was another overnighter to San Francisco. Luckily we were granted some more wind and managed to get in a great sail approaching The Gate.
What a thrill to sail under the bridge for a second time, and of course it was a first for Jeannie and Natalie.


Jeannie greeting San Francisco with gusto!

San Francisco was a delight and we spent a whole month there staying at various clubs and anchorages. We were made especially welcome at the Oakland Yacht Club where they give 5 free nights to visiting offshore sailors - thereafter $10 per night, which was the cheapest we have heard of so far!
Having now done the voyage down to San Francisco both inshore and off, I would have to say that I would favour the offshore passage. I was expecting more from the towns we visited and don't feel they were worth the effort of motoring almost all the way to San Francisco.
The crew is wonderful and are behaving themselves very well considering that I only have to beat them every second day. I am particularly pleased with the performance of our senior helmsman: Count Pushkin - our wonderful RVG windvane. He has been my helmsman since 1986 and has circumnavigated with me. With Jordan's expert help I replaced all the bushings and bearings and he is performing like never before. He is also much more silent as he used to grumble a bit as he kept Jabula on her course.
So here we are - in Monterey


Jellyfish at the Monterey Aquarium

after having spent a wonderful few days in Half Moon Bay. HMB is one of the finest anchorages we have ever been in and the people there were very friendly indeed.
Our next stop will be Santa Barbara...I think. Of course all is weather dependent and at the moment we are experiencing some southerly winds which will have us holed up here for a couple more days.
Will try to keep up the reports as we mosey along. Looking forward to meeting up with the rest of the fleet...and getting to warmer waters!
Cheers from the Jabulas!
Vessel Name: Jabula
Vessel Make/Model: Westerly 33
Hailing Port: Victoria, B.C. Canada
Crew: Bruce and Jeannie Quayle
About: Love sailing, fishing, adventuring. tale-swapping and each other!
Extra: Mustn't forget the rum!!!

Jabula: Beyond the Horizon

Who: Bruce and Jeannie Quayle
Port: Victoria, B.C. Canada