Jabula: Beyond the Horizon

20 June 2013 | Luganville
03 March 2012 | Canada
01 January 2012 | Nanaimo - San Carlos
23 February 2008 | Bahia de Chamela
14 February 2008 | La Cruz de Huanacaxtle
11 February 2008 | Chacala
15 January 2008 | Isla Isabella
17 December 2007 | La Paz, Mexico
13 November 2007 | La Paz, Mexico
10 November 2006 | Monterey
03 November 2006 | Half Moon Bay
29 September 2006 | Coos Bay

Chacala - 21 09.84�N:105 13.62�W

11 February 2008 | Chacala
In San Blas we had done some running repairs to Jabula (remember the tear in the genny?) and I had also installed the water maker. So it was with a feeling of purpose that on Wednesday, February 6th, we started our motor and made our way slowly out of the San Blas estuary. Slowly, because our prop was fouled and I hadn't wanted to dive on it in the dirty water of the estuary. With purpose, because this was going to be the first real test of the water maker.
It was a warm and calm morning and little wind was expected, but because it helps to run the motor when one is running the WM, I was uncharacteristically happy about the lack of wind. It would allow us to motor all of the way to Chacala (only about 7 hours away) and fill our tanks with the purest of water from the sea!! What a terrific invention, and we would recommend it to anyone planning on voyaging any serious distances from civilisation. Not that it is essential, but it's bloody wonderful!
Our quiet motor-sail was enlivened when, WHIZZZZZZZ.... FISH ON!! Always an exciting event especially when one is in the middle of a shower as was Jeannie! So up she rushes to help with the fish, wearing nothing but soap suds, complaining bitterly of the fish's lack of consideration!


Neptune's bounty

It all ended successfully even though it only turned out to be a skipjack tuna. Though it was a good size, its flesh is dark red and one cannot use it for much other than fishcakes and (after boiling and flaking) a type of tuna mayonnaise. But Jeannie made her magic and we feasted later of King Neptune's bounteous treasure.
We arrived at Chacala at just after 1500 hrs and discovered it was a very attractive little bay with a lovely beach. We had to put out a stern anchor to keep us bow on to the swell, and having done that found it to be a very comfortable anchorage. The Port Captain was very helpful and spoke good English. And the coconuts...oh, the drinking coconuts! How delicious. We found a little palapa selling ice-cold drinking coconuts (coco frio), topped them up with a wee rum and... yum, yum!


YUM, YUM!

The water was relatively clear and warm and I dived on the prop and gave it a good scrub. Also cleaned off the impellers for the logs so that we could again note our speed through the water. The three week stay in San Blas had given us substantial growth on everything not painted with antifouling paint.
Everywhere we've sailed to where there has been a small town, we have been able to stock up with fresh fruit, vegies and other basics. Of course beer is universally available, but Campari is a different story completely, so Jeannie has joined the ranks of sailors of old and developed a love for grog! (Keeps the scurvy at bay don'cha know! AAAAARGH!)
So on Monday, February 11th at 0740 hrs we motored quite quickly out of Chacala, bound for Punta Mita...making water!


Chacala Anchorage
Vessel Name: Jabula
Vessel Make/Model: Westerly 33
Hailing Port: Victoria, B.C. Canada
Crew: Bruce and Jeannie Quayle
About: Love sailing, fishing, adventuring. tale-swapping and each other!
Extra: Mustn't forget the rum!!!

Jabula: Beyond the Horizon

Who: Bruce and Jeannie Quayle
Port: Victoria, B.C. Canada