01 May 2008 | Randolph, NJ
29 April 2008 | Randolph, NJ
18 March 2008
13 March 2008
01 March 2008 | Morristown
20 February 2008 | Key West, FL
07 February 2008 | Morristown, NJ
21 January 2008 | Morristown, NJ
12 January 2008 | Union City
08 January 2008 | Union City, NJ
29 December 2007
26 December 2007 | Woodbine, NJ
24 December 2007 | Randolph, NJ
22 December 2007
19 December 2007 | Woodbine, NJ
16 December 2007 | Randolph, NJ
10 December 2007 | Woodbine, NJ
06 December 2007 | Woodbine, NJ
05 December 2007 | Woodbine, NJ

Tony's Story

28 September 2006
Tony Flores
Jabulani Chesapeake to Liberty Harbor NYC

Saturday, September 2, 2006 Getting Together

Philip and Sharon and the kids drove to my house in the morning in two cars to pick me up to start our adventure. Our families met and off we went. Philip drove the lead car as Sharon followed. During our trip to the marina we made some direction decisions that made the trip comical. Thank heavens for Sharon's easy attitude as we probably began testing her limits as we drove through a maze of bad back street direction choices by the occupatients in the lead car. Sharon must have been thinking, "These are the guys I am entrusting my life and kids too!�

We arrived at Liberty Harbor Marina. We left Philip's car behind and we piled into Sharon's car to begin the drive to the Chesapeake Bay where the boat was moored. Heavy rain slowed the trip down. We arrived at the marina at about 4:30 in the after noon.

We unpacked the car and shuttled cargo from the dock to Jabulani via the dinghy. Sharon stowed the goods and watched the kids as Philip and I went to the bar for a beer. What a woman! She had a place for everything.

Beer, a bar and a boat that flagged out of South Africa always leads to very interesting conversation. We met a retired gentleman who took an interest in Jabulani's story and where we were headed. We exchanged tales and ended with best wishes and a safe sail.

We returned to the boat and found a very tidy ship. Sharon in her miraculous way managed to find a spot for everything. We had dinner aboard and settled in for a good nights sleep.

As I laid down in my bunk, I recall wondering if I would hear the familiar boat sleep sounds of wavelets gently touching the hull, halyards ringing in the night and experience the gentle rocking motions of the boat. I fell into a deep sleep and awoke the next morning very refreshed.

Sunday, September 3, 2006 Sasafrass River to Chesapeake City

Flap, Flap, Bang

We woke up on Jabulani to the prospects of a beautiful day. The water was still and morning dew covered the deck. We all began our morning rituals. While Sharon was cooking breakfast we heard a flapping sound and a loud crash sound on the deck. Philip quickly popped his head out of the companionway to find a rather large bird tangled in the upper shrouds of the rigging, flapping its way to freedom. On deck Philip found the puzzle pieces of Jabulani's tricolor lens that had smashed on the deck. He gathered the pieces and brought them below to show us.

We ate breakfast and Philip, Luke and I when ashore to the marina to see if we could find a replacement tricolor lens. The marina was closed and would open in about an half an hour. We visited a rather large schooner whose lines was graceful and very sea worthy. She was dry docked for some repair work. We examined her hull and lines and admired her graceful overhangs. Philip said the some day he would like to captain a boat like this. I looked at him and believed he probably would. We visited other less attractive boats wondering why they were designed them that way!

We returned to the store and Luke spotted the doughnuts by the coffee. We gave Luke a cup and he took one doughnut for each of the crew. We made our way to the counter. Philip knew the sales person and asked him if he had a replacement tricolor lens The salesman tried his best to accommodate Philip's request but in the end he could not help. We hopped into the dingy and tried one more marina store. But they also could not help.

Our departure time had passed so we returned to the boat and began departing procedures. Philip let go the mooring line and we were off on the first leg of our adventure.

Philip took the helm and began guiding us down the river. When the river widened Philip gave me the helm and explained the markers to me. He went below. Twenty minutes later he popped out of the companionway with a taped tricolor lens. Through the miracle of duck tape and Philip's creativity we had a working tricolor lens.

Sharon held school in the main cabin for Luke and Ruthie. Philip and Sharon are strong believer in home schooling. Both Luke and Ruthie are greatly benefiting from the personalized schooling. Sharon is very patient and makes a game out of every lesson. Sharon held school each day of our trip. As I listened in I had wish secretly that she was one of my teachers.

Hurricane Ernesto had added debris to the river. Twiggs and small branches floated by as we navigated around them. The watch was two hour on and two hours off. Philip took the helm as we made our way through the canal to Chesapeake City. At Chesapeake City we dropped anchor at about 2:30 in the afternoon.

Sharon took Luke and Ruthie to the playground while Philip and I remained behind to repair the tricolor unit and change some halyards.

Philip could not wait to go aloft to fit the repaired tricolor. Philip and his friend Bill had designed and built a ladder that used the boats mid-stays as guide rail to hoist the ladder rungs up the stays to the mast. The idea was quite clever and made a dangerous difficult job safe. Philip slipped on his climbing harness that we attached to a safety halyard. As Philip ascending upward I removed the slack from the safety halyard. In order for Philip to replace the tricolor he had to leave the top of the ladder and shimmy up another three feet. He reached the top and was now totally supported by the safety halyard. I tied him off and used another halyard to deliver tools and the tricolor lens. With a little more duck tape he was able to install the repaired tricolor so we could do some night sailing.

He came down and we discussed the replacement of the throat halyard and adding a new topping lift. He went below and pulled a reel of new halyard line that we used to replace the old main halyard line and add a new topping lift. He also returned with a new block the was going to replace the old worn main halyard block.

Philip went aloft and we worked on the halyard task. All went well with the exception of getting kinks in the halyard lines. We spent more time removing the kinks then threading the lines. Lesson learned roll the line off the spool instead of unwinding it. We worked through the kinks and were happy with the results.

Sharon, Luke and Ruthie returned. Sharon prepared dinner. Sharon added her lady like table setting which very much added to our dining experience. We dined in the cockpit with a 360 water view. It was great.

Night came and it was time to get ready for bed. We all went through our nightly routines. Before Luke and Ruthie were tucked away they were read a short bible story. As I listen in it took me to a time in my life when I read a night time story to my kids. What a great memory!

Monday, September 4, 2006 Chesapeake City to Cape May

Early to Rise

I heard Philip moving about. It was about 5:30 am. Time to begin our day. Philip and I weighed anchor and began the trip trough the Chesapeake Canal from Chesapeake City.

Prior to embarking on the cruse Philip and I would get together to discuss routes, tides, moon setting and weather in his office. He asked me to gather data that would help us to easily navigate the canal and the out going Chesapeake flood waters. Philip's foresight paid off in a big way. We managed to time the legs so that we could utilize nature as oppose to fighting her. Flowing with the tides added about one to two knots to our speed instead of reducing our speed.

I took the first watch two hour watch out of Chesapeake City. As we were motoring we had to avoid debris, twigs, small branches and the occasional small logs from Hurricane Ernesto. The water was calm and we made good headway. As we made our way along the canal it seemed like the canal was all ours. The traffic was very light. There was an occasional work boat that passed. One could enjoy the stillness of the early morning as one surroundings began to wake up from there sleep. The morning sun was rising as darkness gave way to light.

Luke popped his head out of the companionway. In his hand he held a new plane that he had acquired. He gave us a description of the plane's detail and also he described its ability to fly. He was very proud and happy with his new plane. He put his life jacket on and joined us in the cockpit.

Below the remaining crew, Sharon and Ruthie were moving about. Sharon popped her head out of the companionway to take breakfast orders. Ten minutes later I was eating a toasted English muffin with marmalade jelly. Imagine toast on a boat without a toaster. I am still impressed!

We reached the end of the canal and arrived at Reedy Point. The water became a little more choppy as we headed into Chesapeake Bay. As we made our way to the first mark a very large vessel began making its way into the canal. It seemed so large I wondered if it would fit. Of course it had no problems navigating it way into the canal, but the child in me wondered if a boat going in the opposite direction could pass by it as it made its way through the canal.

We rounded the first mark and we began following the buoys that marked the channel. As we made our way down the channel we experienced more choppy water and a little more wind. The traffic also increase as it seemed that everyone woke up and were on their way!

The morning sun increased in intensity as noon arrived. We abandon our jackets and sweaters as we basked in the light of this absolutely beautiful day. Jabulani was making great headway as we made our way to Cape May. The out-going tide added about one to 2 knots to our speed. Once more Philip's advance planning paid off.

Philip pulled out the sun canopy. Sharon took the helm as we attached the sun canopy. Philip designed and sewed the sun canopy. It was large enough to keep us out of the direct sun light and open enough to enjoy the sunny day.

We all had lunch in the cockpit under the sun canopy. Full from lunch and snacks each of us found a comfortable spot on deck to enjoy the day.

I recall looking at Ruthie as she lay asleep at the entrance of the companionway. She slept so deeply as Jabulani rocked as she made her way to Cape May. Ruthie's serenity was equivalent to seeing one's favorite painting. It had a way of engulfing you to bring you back to a simpler time. I recall thinking to myself that life doesn't get better then this!

We reached the buoy that we rounded to leave the channel. Philip raised the staysail and the foresail. Jubulani responded by adding more speed and elongating the rocking motion. Boats passed us and we passed boats. The Delaware Bay was quite busy.

Instead of rounding Cape May we went through the Cape May Canal. We entered Cape May Harbor and anchored by the Coast Guard Light House Station.

We decide to have pizza for dinner. Philip and I hopped into the dinghy and off we went to the pizza store. On route we approached the Corinthian Yacht Club. Philip spied a sailor who he thought might be a member of the club. Conversation was exchanged and Philip phoned Sharon to tell her that we would be staying dockside at the Corinthian Yacht Club. We returned to Jabulani, weighed the anchor and moved the boat to the dock. After securing Jabulani Philip and I hopped back into the dingy to get pizza.

We filled up the gas can at the gas station. We ordered the pizza. While walking to the gas station we spotted two schooner masts. While the pizza was being made we decided to explore the schooner. As we walked pass one of the working fishing boats a crew member called out to us. "You guys aren't going to start a fire, are you?� We were puzzled not realizing how we looked. Two guys with a gas can and a backpack trying to find their way to the schooner. "No we replied.� As we explained that we were trying to find our way to the schooner dock to explore her. He told us that it was part of the restaurant and that we would need to go through the restaurant to see her. We returned to the pizza store to get the pizza. We returned to the boat with the piping hot pizza.

Sharon had setup the cockpit for dinner and she and the kids went off to the showers. They returned to the boat. Soon after Sharon boarded Philip asked her, "How was your shower dear?�
Sharon replied, "The water was freezing cold! The kid only stuck there toes in the showers as they laughed and watched mommy shivering in the shower negotiating position to stay warm. It was a quick shower.�

We moved the dinner ware into the warm cabin and we all enjoyed our pizza dinner.

Tuesday, September 5, 2006 Cape May Stay Over

Jabulani Experiences Crashing Waves

We woke up to an over cast cloudy morning. Light wind was blowing from the southeast. As we made our way out of Cape May Harbor into the Atlantic the wave action increased as we left the inlet and entered the ocean.

Sharon and the kids were below decks, I was at the helm and Philip was on the foredeck working on raising the staysail. As I pointed Jabulani toward the first buoy the wind and the wave action seemed to increase. The nearer we got to the buoy the steeper the wave got. Just before the first buoy Jabulani slid down a large wave burying her bow deep into an ocean hole. Philip disappeared briefly as Jabulani found the bottom. She level herself off as a wall of water hit her bow. Splashing sea water to port and starboard surrounded her as she made her way to the surface. Philip turned and called to me, "Did you mean to do that!� I replied, "No.�

Philip returned to the cockpit and checked in on Sharon the kids. They were all ok. The kids were enjoying the ride. Philip decided to turn back as the weather was not in our favor. I pointed her into the wind as Philip lowered and secured the sail. We return to the Coast Guard anchorage and dropped anchor.

Light morning rain surrounded the harbor. The rain increased as the day passed.

Luke and Ruthie pulled out some small containers of play dough to play with. Ruthie made worm shapes and Luke began making pizza. He made a pizza for me. I took it and gobble it up. He looked at me in surprise and said, "You weren't supposed to eat it!�

I replied, "Oh no!�

He continued to stare at me questioning in his mind if I had actually eaten the play dough pizza. Soon he came to the realization that I did not eat the pizza. He figured out that I must be hiding it in my hand. This lead to a game of pizza hide and seek that got funnier as the time passed.

Next we decided to make play dough animasl. Luke called out the animal, "Elephant!� we divided the play dough and he made one part of the animal while I made the other part. We join the pieces and wa-la, an elephant was created. Next we made a horse. Philip made a bull for Ruthie.

Dinner time arrived and play time was over. We all washed up as Sharon set the table. Grace was said and we all began eating dinner.

Sharon had canned meals which required no refrigeration. We dined as though we were ashore. It was great!

Contest Time arrived. When Philip and I were planning the trip I suggested that we try our luck troll fishing under sail. I brought some line and two lures. I presented the lures to Luke and Ruthie and asked them to name them. One we called Shinny and the other was named Buster. We democratically voted on whether Buster or Shinny would catch the first fish. Buster won unanimously. Next we voted on who would go in the water first. Shinny won.

Sharon and Philip have a library of books aboard. Philip pulled out his fishing book and I proceeded to learn the proper knot to tie the lead to the lure. We all were excited about trying our luck at fishing off the stern of Jabulani.



Wednesday, September 6, 2006 Cape May Over Night Sail

Night Sailing

Tuesday evening on the hour we listened to NOAA Weather. We were trying to find out the wind prediction and expected weather conditions for Wednesday and Thursday. We were hoping for calm seas, wind from the south and clearing weather. NOAA said that a high wind front would move past the Cape May on Wednesday Morning. It also said that a south east wind would arrive in the afternoon.

Philip said that it was decision time! Depending on Wednesday weather we would either sail back to the mooring or we could entertain a night sail to Sandy Hook, NJ.

Wednesday morning arrived. The rain gave way to overcast clearing sky. We moved the boat back to the Corinthian Yacht Club dock so we could use their facilities. We used the morning to wash down, dismantle the dingy.

I began handing Sharon the storable part of the dingy. As I handed her a part and she kept on finding room for it. It seemed that Jabulani was had a black hole in her cabin. This became quite comical. The parts that I handed Sharon were big!

Sharon took Luke and Ruthie to the beach so they could play and stretch their legs.

We met and spoke to Wally. He was an old salt who had lot of knowledge of the Cape May area. We asked him about the three sunken boats, two sail and one power, whose mast and foredeck were sticking out of the water. We also discussed weather and tides.

As the morning passed the sun became brighter. We never got the gusting wind that NOAA had forecasted. The wind was faint and the water was calm.

Philip suggested a night sail and I jumped at the chance. We gathered the crew, fueled up the boat and headed out. We left Cape May at two in the afternoon. The ocean was calm as we rounded the harbor buoy. It is amazing how much of a difference a day makes as it relates to weather. During the trip Philip let out the fishing line and tied it to the leg of the boom gallows.

We motored till a little after sunset. A southeast breeze began to emerge. As the day gave way to night the breeze increased. We were able to turn the engine off and begin sailing in the Atlantic. The moon was our light, the stars were our canopy, the ocean was our road and the waves became our music.

A full moon lit the way as we sailed along the shoreline about five miles off shore. To our port you could see the tall buildings and bright lights of the Atlantic City Casinos. To our starboard you could see an ocean of moon lit waves and stars in the sky. This was great!

Philip and I did two hour shifts. Sharon was our reserve. The traffic was light. Early evening we saw about a total of five large vessels, three tugboat pulling large barges and two other large boats.

Traffic ceased as we move deeper into the evening. The Atlantic seemed to be all ours. The sails were full and we were moving about four knots. Sharon packaged some late night lunch for us that we enjoyed. Life was good and I don't think it gets much better!




Thursday, September 7, 2006 Sailing Into Liberty Harbor

The night sky lightened as dawn approached. Sunrise seemed very special today as we watch and enjoyed the rising sun. We had made good progress during our night sail. We were still following the Jersey shore line, heading in the general direction of Sandy Hook, NJ.

Philip pulled in Shinny to see if any fish had took the bait. He did not find fish, but it appeared that one had bitten the lure. Part of a fish's lip was on one of the hooks!
Philip substituted Buddy for Shinny to give Buddy a chance.

The wind continued to die as the morning progressed. Four knots gave way to two knots. Philip turned on the engine to increase our headway. Two knots returned to 6 knots.

Sharon popped her head out of companionway to check our progress. She was pleased to see that we had gone so far. She took breakfast orders and we had breakfast.

The crew joined us in he cockpit as we continued to sail. The morning chill disappeared as the sun rose higher in the sky. The day was sunny, the wind was light and ocean was calm. More boats began sharing the ocean. It was another great day!

As we approached Sandy Hook Philip asked the crew if we should continue on to Liberty Harbor Marina in NYC. The day was young so we all decided to sail to New York City.

We left Sandy hook to our stern as we made our way to the Verrazano Bridge. The sails began to flutter. Philip lowered the sail as we continued to motor in.

As we approached the Verrazano Bridge the air got heavier and the wind totally disappeared. It was like being in a hot room with no chance of a breeze. New York harbor lay before us. The tall skyscrapers grew taller and the traffic became dense. The Statue of Liberty began to appear off of the port bow. Groups of barges waiting for a tug lay at anchor just outside the channel.

We went under the Verrazano Bridge as New York Harbor opened to us. A military patrol boat armed with some impressive guns passed by as we continued to make our way to the Statue of Liberty. We were able to sail very close to Liberty Island. Seeing Miss Liberty standing there in all her majestic splendor gave me a sense of the hope and happiness some of the immigrants might have felt as they dreamed of a new life in America.

We passed the Statue of Liberty and continued to make our way to Liberty Harbor Marina in the mouth of the Hudson River.

Sharon took the helm as she guided us in while Philip and I began readying Jabulani for docking. Ed, a friend of Sharon and Philip greeted us we entered the docking ground. Ed help us with the docking procedures as we docked Jabulani in her new birth.

So ended the cruise of my wonderful cruise on Jabulani.
Comments
Vessel Name: Jabulani
Vessel Make/Model: 30' Custom Gaff Cutter
Hailing Port: Cape Town, South Africa
About: Philip, Sharon, Luke and Ruth are preparing to set off on a circumnavigation of the world.
Extra: The name Jabulani comes from the Zulu word for "Joy" or "Rejoice". We believe "Jabulani" reflects our outlook on life.
Home Page: http://www.sailblogs.com/member/jabulani/

Jabulani

Port: Cape Town, South Africa