01 May 2008 | Randolph, NJ
29 April 2008 | Randolph, NJ
18 March 2008
13 March 2008
01 March 2008 | Morristown
20 February 2008 | Key West, FL
07 February 2008 | Morristown, NJ
21 January 2008 | Morristown, NJ
12 January 2008 | Union City
08 January 2008 | Union City, NJ
29 December 2007
26 December 2007 | Woodbine, NJ
24 December 2007 | Randolph, NJ
22 December 2007
19 December 2007 | Woodbine, NJ
16 December 2007 | Randolph, NJ
10 December 2007 | Woodbine, NJ
06 December 2007 | Woodbine, NJ
05 December 2007 | Woodbine, NJ

A Gusty Shakedown

17 September 2007 | New York Harbor
Sharon
We left the boat last Saturday in a terrible state as Philip and Eric had only just started sorting out all the tools and spare parts on board. You know when you start to organise things it always looks worse before it starts looking better. So there were little piles of tools and things all over the main cabin. Added to this chaos Philip had been working almost every night last week on board getting various things fine-tuned, like the stuffing box and some other mechanical things. He and Luke had also installed our new compass in the cockpit, leaving an extraordinary amount of sawdust spread over the deck and down below in the galley. By the time we got onto Jabulani this Saturday morning it looked like 25 tornadoes had touched down in there. So we spent the morning finishing the sorting that had begun and packing things away while the guys worked on hanking on the sails and getting things above deck ready for a little afternoon sail. I haven't mentioned that the wind was about 25 knots and gusting to around 35 or 40 knots. Yes, a little more windy than we might have liked for our initial mini-shakedown in the harbor. But it was a great opportunity to really put the boat under a bit of strain as far as rigging and sails were concerned, so off we went and the boat did great. Even at quite a heel it was so comfortable to be on board and very exciting to get such good speed. We reach a high 7.2 knots speed at one stage and raced around the harbor all the way past the Statue of Liberty and back again. Coming back we were fighting against a very strong current so put the engine back on to make it back in time for our visitors to get back in time for another appointment they had in the evening. Anyway, we are now more confident than ever that our rigging is good and we are pretty much ready for an overnight sea trial.
Comments
Vessel Name: Jabulani
Vessel Make/Model: 30' Custom Gaff Cutter
Hailing Port: Cape Town, South Africa
About: Philip, Sharon, Luke and Ruth are preparing to set off on a circumnavigation of the world.
Extra: The name Jabulani comes from the Zulu word for "Joy" or "Rejoice". We believe "Jabulani" reflects our outlook on life.
Home Page: http://www.sailblogs.com/member/jabulani/

Jabulani

Port: Cape Town, South Africa