OK, it's official
20 November 2011 | Pangaimotu, Tongatapu, Tonga
We're leaving Tuesday. Or maybe tomorrow. Or maybe Thursday. Having said we're not going to Minerva reef, we've decided we possibly will. Or probably. But maybe not. If you've not gathered already, sailing can never be a definite art. There are just too many variables to consider. However, having decided and told other boats that we are going to leave tomorrow (Monday) and we are going to stop off at Minerva for 3 nights, we've just come back to the boat and asked ourselves why would we want to be in the middle of a reef in the middle of the ocean for three nights? So, if we leave Tuesday, we can get there Thursday and then leave on Saturday for Opua, hopefully getting in around 2nd December. This way, we can avoid the patch of no wind for two days (by being at Minerva reef) and avoid the patch of high winds that should be in NZ around the 4th December. Bob McDavitt, NZ's weather ambassador, has recommended leaving Mond/Tues if stopping off at the reef, or Thursday if going straight there. But we're chomping at the bit now, so Tuesday it is.