The Jackson Four on Tour

Operation 'sell Pegasus of Jersey' begins""

22 July 2013 | Moffat, Scotland
29 March 2013 | Penang
27 March 2013 | Mooloolaba and Penang
22 February 2013 | Mooloolaba
05 February 2013 | Mooloolaba
30 January 2013 | Mooloolaba
11 January 2013 | Brisbane River
27 December 2012
26 December 2012 | Brisbane/Godl Coast
16 December 2012 | Brisbane, Australia
06 December 2012
04 December 2012
01 December 2012
01 December 2012 | Townsville
27 November 2012
26 November 2012
23 November 2012 | Cairns, Australia
15 November 2012 | Vlasoff Reef

Hiking in Eden

18 August 2011
Catherine
18 August 2011

Up Jackson early (leaving the boat by 8am) and an exciting dinghy ride surfing into the mouth of the river and then, as it's low tide, hauling the dinghy up onto the beach and tying it to a coconut tree. The 4 hour round trip to the waterfall was completely worth it, and absolutely gorgeous. I wore my flip flops as I take after my mother when walking and stride ahead expecting the kids' little legs to keep up. I also carried the backpack, this keeping me more in pace with Mark and the kids! It reminded me of when Jess, Robbie and we hiked in NZ 7 years ago and we had to strap Lochy to Robbie's chest just to slow him down! Lochy wore Mia's wellies - the only things that fitted him that weren't flip flops and Mia wore some type of walking sandals that just about fitted her. It's one of the benefits of sailing - we haven't bought shoes for the past year. We had to go through the river a couple of times, up to thigh depth for the kids, but they were great, mightily helped by being accompanied by the village dog who escorted us all the way to the waterfall. The kids were abit disappointed that they couldn't swim in the pool at the bottom of the waterfall, but once I had seen about 10 mozzies descend on my legs in some kind of Red Arrows formation, I had made my decision. We were going back. We had heard about the no-no flies that are here that are vicious little blighters so were all sprayed up, but those mozzies, they just laughed in the face of our DEET spray and we've all got the bites to prove it. On the way back, we were offered fruit and water from a local couple in exchange for some rope they needed for their horses.

Getting the water was a mission, let me tell you. We left the kids on the boat, whilst we dinghied up the river where it was now higher tide, but not yet high enough to use the engine so we row into the mouth of the river where the surf is opposing the flow of the river. Narly, dude. Once we have paddled up to the house where we have been offered fruit, we can fill the jerry cans from the tap, but our hose doesn't quite reach to the dinghy to fill the water bags, so we have to find a different tap. In my best French, which is seriously lacking the main vocabulary (like, what time does it get dark, because I'm slightly concerned about the return journey? - I knew what time it got dark, but I didn't want to be rude and say, thanks for the water, now we've gotta go because the sun is setting) it was lovely to chat to the man whose face was completely covered with tattoos. I found out that there were currently 10 people living in the village as the school holidays were over and those with children lived in the main town with their kids during school term time. 200 people lived in the village when it wasn't school time. I could have learnt more, but I'm restricted in my French. Must learn more. Anyway, back to the water; Mark and I discussed the benefits of a water maker in such circumstances, or at least a decent rain catcher and I conceded that although the day had been lovely in general, this last part was 'a bit shit.' As we headed back through the river and then the surf and the sun was setting but we had some full jerry cans, Mark said "put that in your blog and smoke it" so I did.
Comments
Vessel Name: Pegasus of Jersey
Vessel Make/Model: Nautitech 395 Catamaran
Hailing Port: Lefkas, Greece
Crew: Mark, Catherine, Mia and Lachlan
About:
Having met whilst sailing on Bob's boat, there always was a vague plan that we would at some stage sell the house, buy a boat and sail round the world. Unfortunately, we didn't have a house. That was 9 years ago. [...]

Jackson Four on Tour

Who: Mark, Catherine, Mia and Lachlan
Port: Lefkas, Greece