Sailing the Seas on Jade Dragon

Being delayed by a year after "Miramar", an 80 foot wooden ketch owned by Paul Scripps of San Diego, slammed into our boat causing extensive damage, we are finally good as new and doing last minute preparations for our first journey south to Mexico

08 November 2011 | Ensenada
31 October 2011 | Phoenix
30 October 2011 | San Diego
27 October 2011 | Catalina Harbor
22 October 2011 | Ventura Harbor
20 October 2011 | Ventura Ca
03 October 2011

A Couple of Days to Relax

27 October 2011 | Catalina Harbor
Clear and Calm
We left Ventura Harbor on Monday, October 24 2011, at 12:30 in the afternoon. It was an overcast day with about 3 miles visibility, light wind, and flat seas. We decided to go only as far as Yellowbanks anchorage on Santa Cruz Island just to take a deep breath and relax. Our plan is to hang behind the Baja Ha Ha and enter Mexico just before the FUBAR. Hopefully we will avoid the congestion from either "gaggle". Nothing against either group...... just want to go down the coast at our own pace.

The night in Yellowbanks was one of the calmest that we have ever experienced. No wind, no waves, no rockin' and rollin'...... as Bill would say, "I wasn't rolled out of my bed in the middle of the night." We awoke around 4 a.m. and headed out of the anchorage by 5, into a very dark southeastern horizon. The fog layer was pretty thick and there was absolutely NO moonlight. We pointed our bow to a heading of 115 and proceeded to motor our way to Santa Catalina.

We arrived at Cat Harbor on the island of Catalina around 4:20 p.m., pulled into a mooring, and settled in for the evening. It was still pretty overcast so there was no real sunset to speak of.

We are enjoying the two days of kayaking and hiking before heading to San Diego where we will dock the boat at Cabrillo Isle Marina for a week or so while Bill goes on a trip and I head to Detroit to visit with family for a few days.
Comments
Vessel Name: Jade Dragon
Vessel Make/Model: Vagabond 47
Hailing Port: Phoenix AZ
Crew: Bill & Mary Silvestri
About: Both of us are USCG licensed boat captains. We share the passion of sailing on the open sea and experiencing the peace and solitude that is difficult to find on land anymore. Watching the sunset on the horizon is an amazing sight that never gets old.
Extra: Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do rather than the things that you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the tradewinds in your sails. Explore - Dream - Discover Mark Twain

Who: Bill & Mary Silvestri
Port: Phoenix AZ