Antares Cruising East

Vessel Name: Antares
Vessel Make/Model: Endeavour 37 Ketch
Hailing Port: Toledo, OH
Crew: John and Evelyn
About: John started sailing as a kid and he hasn't stopped (neither sailing nor being a kid). He introduced Evelyn to sailing in 2000 and together have been cruising Lake Erie.
Extra:
Left the lake for the ocean late August 2013. We traversed the Erie Canal, headed down the Hudson River, and tried to keep up with summer weather on our way to Florida. Each winter season since, we leave the snow behind, drive to sunny Florida, prepare Antares for the nomad life for half a [...]
07 February 2023 | Glades Boat Storage
26 December 2014 | Ft. Myers Beach to Key West
24 December 2014 | Ft. Myers
13 December 2014 | LaBelle, FL
18 November 2014 | La Belle, FL
19 December 2013 | Marathon Key
19 December 2013 | Marathon Key
20 November 2013
02 November 2013
30 September 2013 | B-Ville, NY
15 September 2013
15 September 2013
09 September 2013
06 September 2013 | Buffalo, NY
Recent Blog Posts
07 February 2023 | Glades Boat Storage

Can we still do this?

John and I are back at it again. Finally, we are able to return to our s/v Antares after a long bout of physical ailments. So we lost the first 3 months of plan/preparation/upgrade/replace/reconfigure "to-do" list. That list is now reduced to just preparation. That may change, but as all things sailing, [...]

26 December 2014 | Ft. Myers Beach to Key West

Sailing the Gulf of Mexico

Wednesday, December 10, 2014. Engine won't start. John switched the battery indicator to "All" and that worked. The air temperature is 46 (perhaps that's the reason she wouldn't start), northwest winds 10-15 mph and diminishing, waves 5 feet and decreasing, clear skies, high today of 65, continual [...]

24 December 2014 | Ft. Myers

On the Caloosahatchee River

December 2, 2014. Today was to be a short day with a 14 mile trip to the LaBelle free docks. We could check systems, make adjustments, finish bending on the sails, and fill the water tank. We had to go through the Ortona Lock, an eight foot drop only a few miles from the Glades. It was a beautiful, [...]

13 December 2014 | LaBelle, FL

Glades Boat Yard

November 13 -December 1, 2014

18 November 2014 | La Belle, FL

Continuing the Journey, Round 2

Tuesday, October 28, 2014. Leaving Toledo is about to finally happen. I feel we spent the entire summer preparing for this moment. The van is stuffed to the rooftop; the seats removed for the added space. We expect to leave right after the water department shuts off the tap at the curb. All day [...]

19 December 2013 | Marathon Key

Day 104-107 Cruising the Keys

Our first visitors from home at Dinner Key Marina were so welcome. Stef and Roy (Anchor Pointe Marina!) found us at the dock and what a great greeting! We spent time with them and this is when I first found out that more people were reading our blog than just the few we knew of. I apologize for not [...]

Day 16-17 Albion-Spenserport-Fairport

19 September 2013
Evelyn
So now we're moving forward toward the east coast again. It seems unusual after staying in Albion for the last 4 days. The transit is very pleasant: very chilly mornings, and if the sun is shining, it doesn't take long to start shedding layers of clothing. The one time we traveled through the rain caused us to reconsider traveling through the rain. By the end of the day, we were cold through and it took too long to get warm. The hot chocolate was the highlight of that day. We resolved to stay put during foul weather whenever possible.

The Erie Canal is idyllic. We are having our own Tom Sawyer adventure. The actual canal is narrow, and when it joins a river, it is wider, but we stay in the marked channel. As we head east through the center of New York, there are fewer commercial buildings and marinas. Replacing them are fishing camps and private property.

Day 16 Albion to Spenserport, Sunday, September 15, 2013
The engine was warmed up and we were ready to shove off; just waiting for the bridge tender to lift the bridge out of our way. It was mostly sunny, though only 49 degrees at 8:00 am. There were six lift bridges to go under today. We planned to stop short of the seventh one, tie up, and pump out. A powerboat joined us along the way. He told the Union Street bridge tender (the seventh bridge) that he was not going through, that he was getting a pump out and returning back upriver. We didn't say anything, as we were going to tie up here. As we slowed to approach the dock, the bridge was preparing to lift: bells, lights, stopped traffic, etc.; just like for a railroad crossing. We were busy securing the boat as the bridge tender tried to hail us on the radio. With four full hands, neither one of us could answer. The bridge came back down as John walked up to talk with the tender. OK, several mistakes here: radio silence is not the preferred method of communication, the charts don't have all the facts, and docking under pressure does not go well.

The powerboat circled around and docked on the other side of the canal. He pumped out, and went on his merry way back upstream. We, on the other hand, had much to do. Al, the bridge tender, assumed we were going straight through, since most sailboats do, and was also surprised that we wanted to do a pump out. He wasn't sure that there was enough water depth for us to get to that dock. Because our propeller pulls the stern to the right when backing up, and because even a light breeze pushes the bow off, we ended up doing a figure eight to get into position to approach the pump out dock. Sailor John got 'er done. While there, we poured the ten gallons of diesel (part of all those errands we made in Medina) into the fuel tank bringing the gauge back up to 85% full. This wasn't easy, since the fuel cap is in the stern; we had to use a funnel with extra hose then slowly pour the diesel. An hour and a half later, we went under the Union Street Bridge and docked east of it. Al was a really good help, too. He told us about the preferred docking downstream and gave John a lift to the fueling station to buy diesel and ethanol-free gas. Unfortunately, the diesel available was only the ultra-low sulfur and no ethanol-free gas. The next quest was to find an additive for the diesel to keep the engine lubricated as it worked. It seems that for every problem we solve, more arise. Sigh....
Once docked for the night, we set off to find the additive. Of course, the auto store was at the top of a long hill and it was closed. We then stopped at the well-stocked grocery store. I believe we were hungry, just by the amount of food we bought. I found mini-loaf baking pans that I was certain would fit in the toaster oven, so of course I picked up muffin, biscuit, and cake mixes, as well. We used the cart to haul it all back to the dock. John asked that the grocery cart police not be called; that he would return it to the store. With that assurance, we took the back way home, and as I unpacked our goodies, John kept his promise.

Day 17 Spenserport to Fairport, Monday, September 16, 2013
Cloudy and cold, high of 55: so what? We bundled up with warm layers, foulies and rubber boots over woolen socks. Weather report stated that no rain until the afternoon. By then we should be at our next destination. Reality check: drizzle, rain, wind most of the day. No lift bridges today, but Locks 33 and 32 ahead, a drop of 25 feet each. Strangely, there was no rain while in the locks. I have difficulty pulling the bow over to the wall, and then crash the bow forcing the stern out to the middle of the lock. Not pretty, not graceful, just frustrating. I do love being in the locks as the gates close, the water lowers, and the gates at the other end open. Having messy hands from the mud on the ropes is no problem. It washes off. Looking ahead to the next stretch of canal, promising...

Keeping the distance under 24 miles yesterday and today, left us with energy to do other things, like the grocery shopping. Today though, we cranked up the heat and changed the oil. At this point we have 56 hours on the engine and traveled 365 miles since August 31. The throttle sifter needed a washer on it to keep the cotter pin from wearing a hole. (This came off when the injector tube was replaced back in Albion). Three hours later....I repeat...three hours later, all was accomplished. To end the day, John made his chili and as it simmered, we took HOT showers. Cozy in the cabin; that's us.
Comments

About & Links