Bookmark and Share
Pacific Odyssey 2010/2011
Follow the Larsens from Seattle to Australia and back.
Housekeeping & Provisioning
05/20/2010, Port Angeles

I have some foodie-friends (check out who cook up incredible meals, know just where to buy the right cheeses, and entertain for many as if they were having a nice relaxing afternoon. Thank Goodness I have these friends because everyone once and a while I get to eat really well. As a bachelorette I usually had an empty freezer, with just butter and some lunch meat in the fridge and I ate a lot of ramen, rice and beans. As a mom with three kids and also a husband who now has the time to eat with us, coupled with the reality of living on a boat, I've had to get real about cooking and provisioning. I think we've been eating pretty well so far. Here is our meal plan for the next couple weeks:
Breakfasts rotate between: pancakes and sausage with fruit, quiche with left over sausage and toast, oatmeal with nuts and yoghurt, pancakes with chocolate chips in them, dried cereal with fruit and nuts, scrambled eggs with bacon and biscuits, hot cereal with an apple cooked in it with fruit and yoghurt.
Lunches look like this: cold cut sandwiches with cherry tomatoes and carrot slices, chicken chili verde on tortillas and cantaloupe, ground beef chili with crackers and fruit, black-eyed pea soup, French onion soup, grilled cheese and tomato soup, lentil stew over grains.
For Dinner we'll be having: Tortellini with red sauce and green salad, 15 bean soup, left over chili with Mac/Cheese, Narsi Goreng, Black bean burritos and/or quesadillas with salsa, chicken with lentils and spinach, pasta and porcupine meatballs, and hoping for fresh fish.
For fresh supplies I have stored roughly 75 onions, 15 lbs potatoes, 30 apples, 30 oranges, 10 limes, 10 lemons , 3 ginger roots, 12 garlic heads, 5 lbs carrots, 12 leaks, 3 red peppers, 3 green peppers, 2 jicamas, 3 cantaloupes, 10 pears, 3 butternut squash, 9 dozen eggs right from the farm, un-washed and un-refridgerated, 3 bunches of bananas in various stages of ripe. We have very little alcohol on board as we won't be drinking at all while at sea, but we do have a couple bottles of wine and one bottle of tequila stored in the bilge for when the time is right. We also have a bottle of fine champagne that we will use to toast Neptune/Triton/Poseidon as we head out of the Straight of Juan de Fuca someday very soon.

Sharing Knowledge
05/19/2010, Port Angeles

When someone offers to share their knowledge with you, well, that is the ultimate gift. We are very thankful to Gary, the captain of the W. C. Park Responder, an oil spill response ship currently docked here in Port Angeles. He spent a couple hours with Eric yesterday going over his years of experience as a captain up and down the West Coast. I am a bit chagrined that I was not invited along (I've done a great deal of research and investigation into our navigation plans and resources; I've inventoried all of our charts and passage making books, and I collected the various light lists, coastal pilots and sailing directions we need.) But we also have 3 young kids aboard and they can't be left alone at this stage so I couldn't do the usual and invite myself along. Alas, female captains are still few. An aside to any would-be female captains out there: one of the best days I spent in preparation for this trip was when I attended the one-day Women's Sailing Seminar in Seattle back in February ( I learned so much from the female captains who shared their knowledge of communications, docking, anchoring, sailing at night, provisioning, and the all important crew morale. In any case, when Eric returned to the boat, he debriefed me and my Dad. Main point: never cross a bar on the ebb, only during flood and even then make sure you understand the conditions. Otherwise, some top options for ducking into port and out of foul weather are: Grays Harbor, Columbia River, Newport and Coos Bay. I am so thankful we hired a weather router. Yesterday seemed like it would have been a fine day to head out, but by mid-day today we had 50-60 kts winds blowing. Those are mighty winds, Southern Ocean conditions. Good to be hunkered down with a meatloaf in the oven and a vanilla rum cake for desert.

Sill in Port Angeles
05/18/2010, Port Angeles

Who was that guy at the helm in our last posting? My Dad, Dale. He joined us in Port Townsend last Thursday. He'll make the passage to Hilo with us if he doesn't jump ship before we depart. He's very patient and easy going, but the kids have been putting that and all of us to the test. They miss the routine and predictability of school. They miss playing with their friends. However, I think we've found the magic formula for this leg of our journey: Grandpa tells stories. He has a handful of stories about my brother Jon and all his antics when he was little (overflowing toilets, beebee guns, neighborhood ruffians, stolen bikes, a popped water bed, a forgotten bathtub drawing water for hours.) He also tells stories about his grandfathers and his own high school English teaching days (streakers, our house getting teepee'd, senior pranks, administrative officials.) The kids are enthralled. As soon as he finishes one story, they beg to hear it again. Freya is now his sidekick and fills in critical pieces of dialog.

Our most recent lesson (we've known but have had to live it to recall) is that once you consult with the experts -- people who done this before, professional weather routers, authors who've made a living planning routes - ultimately you have to make your own journey. There is no exact way, just as there is no perfect boat. There are trade-offs and unknowns. Our latest news from the weather router is that there continue to be a series of lows offshore and the weather won't be clear for sailing for a few more days. We can wait in Port Angeles another week and maybe sail out and on to Hilo in one shot, or we can leave in a few days and motor sail down the coast until we reach the trades. If we wait, we make no progress at all. If we decide to motor down the coast (300-400miles), we'll have to pull in somewhere and refuel, paying close attention to bar conditions. When the rivers meet the sea there are sand bars that extend well beyond the coast. Seas sometimes break across the bars and the conditions are untenable, even for larger craft. We'll also have to contend with the fishing traffic, freighters, and choppy seas on the continental shelf. None of that sounds good to me and yet it lies directly in the path of my ultimate barefoot, sun-filled idyll.

We have a lifejacket policy on board: below decks no one needs to wear one, above decks everyone wears one. When underway, the kids also wear harnesses, clipped to the boat with a 6 foot tether. When underway at sea, even the adults wear harnesses, and clip in. A couple times they've attempted to go topsides without their lifejackets - just testing to see if our rules still hold. They do! Finn can tell his life jacket from the others once he finds the blood stains. Back in Port Townsend he was jumping in and out of the dinghy and knocked his nose on the oar. We look like a bunch of sea-hardies already. Our personal grooming standards have taken a bit of a turn. So tomorrow our "to do" list looks like this: Take showers, kids have school, make some phone calls that we forgot to make before leaving Seattle, buy detailed charts of the coastal route we hadn't intended to take, walk a mile or so to the grocery store for some bread and lunch meat, get the kids to the park.

Next stage
05/16/2010, Port Angeles

Our trip to Port Angeles was fairly smooth. Per Carol Hasse's suggestion we tried out storm trys'l as a steadying sail under power - fantastic. Dale took the helm for much of the trip, allowing Christine and I to shake out a couple of bugs in our running rigging and procedures.

Amenities are not as convenient here as in Port Townsend, but the people we have met are very nice. We met a live aboard family in the marina (with a hotub on their boat!???), so hopefully our kids will get some good social time.

Marv, who helped us dock when we arrived, stopped by tonight to ask again how long our boat was. Many other boaters are surprised we really are taking this sailboat so far. We also meet people who have done it on boats much smaller, such as 27 footers. While some may think we are crazy, I often see some longing in their eyes.

The kids had their best night so far for settling down and getting to sleep. The excitement, stress, and lack of routine has been hard for them. I think we will be taking it easy here for a couple of days, and resting up for the long leg to Hilo. We may skip a stop in Neah Bay and keep on going.

Leaving Port Townsend
05/15/2010, Port Townsend

Today we went aloft, tested our new climbing gear, and took pictures of the rig. Dan set us up with a rock climbing rig, which makes it fairly easy to pull ourselves up the mast. It is great being able to work aloft with both hands free, but we are still getting used to that.

We also got out for our first real sail in a few weeks. This was after changes to the running rigging and deck hardware. None of the mishaps were serious, and we got a lot more comfortable with our new gear. We will still be shaking things out on the way to Hilo.

We realized we really need to get out of Port Townsend, even though we are still waiting for weather to get out of the Strait. The kids are getting restless here. My inexhaustible list of boat projects is getting quite short. There are a couple that I will not get to before we head to Hilo, but the critical list is complete. The new wind generator is installed and working, and I have installed eyes and shock cord stretched across most of the shelves to hold things in. All of the little cubbies I am aware of are full. Christine commented that you actually can fill all of the storage spaces on this boat. We were already low in the water, then I realized the tanks were down, and added another 600 pounds of water. We need to stow the last remaining items, primarily my tools and some rigging gear, so that we don't have to move things around to go to bed every night. As we eat food, storage will get easier. We have cataloged where most things are, but there have been a few important items that did get indexed, and we have repacked several times.

We have already met many very nice and helpful people. At the Rhododendron parade in PT today, we met a very nice family who shared a chair and some snacks with the kids. I had no idea it was a two hour parade. It was a great distraction from the kids. Christine and I have been so focused on final preparations that the trip has not been that fun for the kids so far. That should change in Port Angeles. Our plan is to leave here for Port Angeles at 7 AM Sunday the 16th.

Port Townsend

Our weather router informed us tonight that we may not get a good window until the 20th. It will be hard to be patient, but heading out into bad weather would not be prudent. Still, we need to work hard to be ready to go when the weather opens up. We are working on the boat in Port Townsend, finishing up the preparations. While the list is getting shorter, the final details are taking time.

Yesterday I finally took down the wind generator to test it and confirmed my suspicions: with some sanding and paint the chassis will still work fine. The new wind generator should arrive Friday. It was supposed to arrive tomorrow, but was delayed. We are still operating on our fast paced schedules. It is going to take some time to adapt to the slower pace of cruising.

The kids are already pushing for more independence and freedom. They are climbing all over the boat while we work, and are quit adept at moving from boat to dock to dinghy, although Freya did fall in yesterday trying to get out of the dinghy - her brother may have helped that. The water here is only 53 degrees, so she was quite cold. The scare may have helped her although she climbed under the cockpit today to inspect the electronics and steering gear. She is starting to take things apart when I am not looking.

Newer ]  |  [ Older ]


Who: Eric, Christine and family
Port: Seattle, Washington
View Complete Profile »

Powered by SailBlogs