Bookmark and Share
Pacific Odyssey 2010/2011
Follow the Larsens from Seattle to Australia and back.
08/24/2010, Vavau, Tonga

Just before we left Nieafu, Finn dropped the ipod containing all of the audio books entertaining the kids and keeping Mom and Dad sane overboard. The salt water killed it instantly, and the water is about 100 feet here, so no diving for it. He forgot the rule about ipods not going above deck and felt really bad. I can't get too mad, I have dropped my share of things over the side, including my glasses in Hilo, which I did retrieve after 20 minutes of diving. Fortunately I have another ipod, though it can't hold all our books and music.

A bigger setback came though the day after my last post. I should not have been critical of sailing with chart plotters, as I am now having trouble with mine. We were planning next week's route to SavuSavu, Fiji. To do this I had to swap the cards in the chartplotter. When I put the new card in, it didn't load. Uh oh. I tried it in the PC, where I get a lower resolution version for planning, that worked, but it didn't work in the chart plotter. My card for Australia was doing the same thing. Christine reminded me that I saved fifty bucks on these buying them from an online reseller via Amazon versus Garmin. Double uh oh. Did I get a counterfeit card? Did the IT guy buy the wrong version of chip that was not compatible with his model plotter? We had paper charts and several backup GPS devices, but chart plotters are nice and, used responsibly, increase safety. We also have a sextant and reduction tables, and Christine and I technically know how to use it, although we are not practiced. I am quite confident we could use it to find the coast of Australia, though hitting a pass through the Great barrier Reef might be challenging.

After fumbling around a while I decided to methodically troubleshoot and put the Polynesia card back in. It no longer loaded. Now I was more concerned. It appears my machine is no longer reading any cards, although it does beep when I insert them. . It came preloaded with the US coasts and Hawaii but it has stopped reading the data cards containing the supplemental maps of out of the way, remote locales such as Tonga and Fiji.

I realized it was Friday night in Australia, and the regional Garmin support was already closed until Monday. Why can't things break on Mondays? With the date line we would have a few hours for US support in the morning. I emailed our installer, who told me that Garmin would want me to upgrade the software first, as this solved a lot of problems. Two issues there: I didn't have the software, and it had to be loaded via the card reader. He offered to help if I get stuck with their support. Garmin didn't have a support email on their website, so I tried to Skype the support desk, but my Internet connection wasn't good enough. So we motored back to Nieafu for a better connection. Skype still didn't work, so I called them on the Satellite phone. (ouch$) I had a fifteen minute call with one tech who was helpful, then we got cut off. Another call yielded some better understanding of options, including a full reset, then we were cut off and the prompt system would not accept any new calls. I did get an email address though. I would have to try to update the software and do the system reset before they will consider replacing my unit. But several several attempts to download the 87 MB file over Tonga's internet service have failed. Several tries got as much as 70 MB downloaded before the connection dropped. Finally I the file downloaded and installed on a card, but the chart plotter still wouldn't read it. I also tried full factory resets to no avail. A perplexing thing was that the unit still beeped every time I put in a card, so it didn't seem like a fully mechanical issue, but perhaps a software glitch.

We have an older, small chart plotter along. On the first attempt it would not read my map chips, but a software update to that (fortunately only a 50 MB file that I got on the first try) solved that issue. This was a good victory for me, as our redundancy worked, and my discount chips are not the issue. We are going from a 10inch screen to a 4.5 inch screen with fewer features, but we have a chart plotter. Mike form Carpe Vita also gave me a shareware vector charting program that I will load up shortly. Another good backup.

I tried loading the software update onto a really old SD card I had. It barely fit, but the chart plotter read it and loaded the software updates. My luck stopped there though, it still won't read the larger cards containing the maps. It looks like eventually I will have to mail the unit in to be repaired, but as it is also our radar display, we are reluctant to do that until we make Australia. We learned it would cost us around US$500 to ship the unit out of here priority. It is also quite hard to receive things here as customs tend to detain arriving packages. It could easily take a few weeks, or months, to turn the unit around. We hope to be in Australia in about two months.

With respect to another issue I did have a break through in tracking down the autopilot replacement parts Kevin sent me. Turns out the government added a prefix for mobile phones, which was why I couldn't call the mail stop he sent the gear to. I reached my mail contact and she is sending the part up on the plane. This is good, as we will likely not have time to sail down to Tongatapu.

Talking to other boats, many seem to have significant system failures: Carpe Vita is still having some engine trouble, Independence's water maker is out, and Compass Rose is without refrigeration. Getting by with issues seems to be part of the cruising life. At least we have a back up for our current issue. I wonder what else will be out when we reach Australia. A fellow sailor in Seattle once told me " right now something on my boat is breaking. I don't know what it is, but I will soon." Quite true.

Meanwhile we have found some fun things to do in town with the kids. Today we went on a kart tour, and saw some farms and inland areas via these motorized all terrain vehicles. The kids had a blast, and we will post more pictures soon. Tomorrow we will make a two hour sail to an anchorage where the kids can swim and snorkel. Despite the issues, we are enjoying Vavua and the time here is going fast.

Sailing by Numbers
08/20/2010, Mala Motu

Vavau is a group of islands with dozens of protected anchorages, all in close proximity. The transits are protected and typically less than two hours. This gunkholing reminds us of Washington's San Juan Islands. The appearance of the islands, sans the palm trees, and boat traffic is reminiscent as well. One surprising difference though is that WiFi hotspots exist in most of the anchorages here - Coverage was sparse outside of the main harbors in the San Juans. I think the coverage here is due to the charter fleet here, their customers on short holidays want to stay very connected. While the Moorings guide book is useful, a tragic influence of the charter companies is that beautiful names of the islands, bays and passes have been reduced to reference numbers. Three people today told me that a traditional Tongan feast was being held at #11 tonight.

Another difference with the San Juans is the wildlife. Yesterday morning the kids watched in awe as two sharks circled the boat during breakfast. They leaned over the lifelines for the better looks. We weren't too concerned as these reef sharks were all of two feet, but it was a nice show for the kids. Hopefully we will see some snorkeling. Inside the reef, the sharks are pretty harmless, but I do keep watch.

Neiafu (#1) was loud. Each night a different café seemed to host a dance party. Our mooring was a quarter mile from town, but inside the boat the music sounded like I had my stereo on just past the comfort point. The music choices are a mix of Island hip hop and 80s tunes. Last night I got to hear "Hey Ricky" twice. And just the other day there was a Karaoke competition in the afternoon to see who could do the best rendition of We are the World. I think there were at least 20 competitors.

Despite the tourism industry there are still cultural experience to be had. Last night we had dinner at a café where school children from another island come once a week to perform traditional dances to raise money for their school. While not as polished than the show at Aggies, the kids were amazing. An eight year old and a six year old were part of the show, and quite good.

Tonight in the quiet shadow of Mala Motu (sadly known as #6 to most of the cruisers here.) the kids are camping out in the cockpit. We told them we would let them start there, then haul them in as once the mosquito coils burns out they will be attacked. The mosquitoes here are plentiful, and we seem to react more strongly to the bites than we do at home. It is hard to imagine these islands without mosquitoes, as they were before the Europeans came. Outside of Neiafu Vavua is quite peaceful.

We can clearly see the bottom here, 30 feet down. This afternoon we snorkeled around the boat, and it was pretty good. Tomorrow morning we will dinghy over to some nearby reefs. There are a lot of jelly fish here, but the stings aren't too bad as they are moon jellys. Like a mild burn. Sophie, Finn, Freya and I all got hit while snorkeling off the boat. It took a couple of stings for us to realize what the discomfort was from, so clearly the pain is not great. Hopefully there will be fewer in the shallower water near the island.

Cleaning a jellyfish out of the water maker intake's seawater strainer rivals fixing the head as the most unpleasant maintenance job. Midway through making water the pump stated making a funny noise, and freshwater production dropped off. Nasty surprise. In addition to partially strained jelly, there were bits of plastic that may have come from a fishing lure. Still, I would not trade the water maker for collecting rain. Still a lot of boats out here doing just that.

I better check my engine intake for debris tomorrow, as I haven't for a while. In theory the engine is the auxiliary power source, but in these islands, like in the San Juans, it is easy to get lazy, turn on the engine, autopilot and chartplotter, and enjoy the ride. Maybe that's why those numbers are so popular.

P.S. Christine's back is steadily getting better.

Malo e lei lei from Vavau, Tonga
08/18/2010, Vavau, Tonga

Vavau is the Pacific playground for Australians and New Zealanders. Other people come here too, we've met some Belgians, but given its close proximity and adventure travel offerings, Aussies and Kiwis dominate. Vavau is like our backcountry Hawaii to them. In Neiafu Harbor alone there are approximately 50 boats, more than we've seen at one time since leaving San Francisco. Right now the humpback whales are in town so every day the local whale watching guides and the dive shops (which have suspended diving so they can make good money off whale watching) take visitors outside the reef to get a closer look. The going rate is $TOP 300 per person, about $150 US. In a country where bread costs $1 US, a restaurant meal around $10 US, and our mooring buoy around $7 US - this is crazy money. This is also a Marlin fishing Mecca. Lots of boats with multiple reels. Some of the local handicrafts are carved from the Marlin's spear. Unfortunately we didn't do any fishing on our day and a half trip from Niuatoputapu. We never go after Marlin, but we also gave up on the smaller stuff because Eric had his hands full with the basics. As we were leaving Niuatoputapiu's harbor, we had 25 kts winds with very steep seas in the shallow waters between the small islands. Given the wind direction and severe chop, we had to change our course enroute to fall off and run with the seas instead of pound into them. I was at the helm when a wave took us and just flopped us over on another angle - I allowed the most dangerous thing to happen - an accidental jibe. Our boom is high enough to clear our heads, but our main sheet slackens and when it did it grabbed me and threw me off the helmsman's seat (which I had already dubbed "the launch pad") and slammed me against the cockpit wall. I saw it coming but had little time to mitigate the consequences. I am so fortunate that I am only suffering from some painful, deep muscle issues instead of a broken back. (Mona, if you are reading this your core strength training saved me!!) We thought about turning back in instead of heading for Vavau, but then realized if I were injured worse than I thought, it would be better to be on our way to a more populated place with air service than to be at Niuatoputapu with very few options. I am now into day four of the injury and feel like I am getting better vs worse, so things are looking up. Thank goodness for ibuprofen. We have a med kit stocked with some serious painkillers for extreme emergencies--- all the names you see at the pharmacy with a sign that says they are under lock and key-- I continue to resist the temptation. While here in Neiafu we finally have a little internet time again, albeit at a snails pace. We enjoy reading the blog comments and thank everyone for continuing to support us on our journey. In response to the question about whether we are keeping our sense of humor, here is a funny moment thanks to Finn: At breakfast the other day, Finn was telling us about Senator Palpatine and Darth Sidious, how they are actually the same person in the Star Wars saga. Darth Sidious is clearly evil, and Senator Palpatine is his alter ego, disguised as a well meaning member of a federation. Only after he's been granted Emperor status does he reveal his true identity and evil intentions. I asked Finn if he knew what we called people who make you think they are on your side when they are really on another side. I expected to hear "traitor" or "spy." Finn thought a moment and in all seriousness replied, "Hmmm......a politician?" Eric and I laughed so hard we had to assure Finn that he had said nothing wrong; he was so startled by our outburst. Today we are off to a quieter anchorage for a few days. We'll likely stay in the Vavua Group until the end of August.

Malo e lelei Niuatoputapu! Hello (NEE-ah TOE-pah TAH-pu)
08/10/2010, Niuatoputapu, Tonga[a]

Greetings from one of the smallest islands in the Kingdom of Tonga. It is part of the Niuas, the northern most island group in the chain and it is so small and remote it is excluded from one of our charts of Tonga. The Tsunami hit it last year. The few houses and community structures it had then were severely damaged. Many villagers are living in tents and tin shacks. Just last week a shipment of lumber and corrugated tin sheets arrived on the supply ship from the capital Nuku'alofa (almost one year after the fact.) Pallets of material are stacked on the small warf. The few pick up trucks on the island arrive from time to time to load up the building supplies and stage them in one of the three villages on the island. Time to rebuild.

Eric was here last September just before the Tsunami hit and he is amazed at the devastation. Despite the tragedy, the citizens of this island are a cheerful lot. We joined them today for song and dance at the highschool a mile up the road from the warf. We walked most of the way there, before getting picked up by a truck; the way home we scored a ride right off the bat and the kids were so pleased. It is a blast to ride in the back of a pick up truck - no seatbelts no car seats.

Last night we learned that the Niuatoputapu men's chorus was performing their songs for the school kids and community at the highschool at 11am. What luck! The chorus will compete in a national contest in a few weeks down in the capital. I've mentioned this before, but what I love about island communities is the many roles that one person can play in their neighborhood. The banker is a guitar player. The diesel mechanic dances. The school principal is also the choir director. I don't know if these exact roles were present in the choir we saw today, but the men were clearly being celebrated for their talent and I would guess that every single man over marrying age was part of the choir. The audience consisted of women and babies, young men, school children and about 20 white-skinned people from the sailboats in the harbor. We were telling our kids that if you live in an interesting place, the world comes to your doorstep. We sailors hailed from the US, France, Germany, and Switzerland.

Once each song had been sung at least 3 times and at least 4 of the men had given lengthy speeches, the older females in the audience were inspired to get up and dance their way to the stage. To much hooting and cheering, they stuffed Tongan dollars (pa'anga) into the choir director's lei. Later when the young female dancer came out to dance her dance yet again, even more old women danced up to her and stuck dollars to her skin - she was covered in coconut oil. When I asked one of the locals the significance of this, I was told that when people like the dancing or singing they stuff pa'anga to show their appreciation. This tiny little island in the middle of the ocean shares some of the same customs one might find at home at weddings and other cultural institutions. As much as travel highlights our differences, it really calls out our common denominators.

We'll wait here for a few days - the anchorage has good holding and the winds are forecasted from the south for the next while (the direction we'd like to head to get to Va'vau another of the Tongan groups.) We are getting some schoolwork done in the mornings and the kids like to swim around the boat in the afternoon. No reason to get moving yet.

PS. One of my favorite Tongan words is "Fakalakalaka." I discovered it on one of our receipts. It means "development" as in Development Bank.

Arrival in Niuatoputapu
08/08/2010, Niuatoputapu, Tonga

We had a brief but windy passage to Tonga. Mt. Sili Sili stayed in view until nightfall. The first night at sea we never sleep well, so while some of these hops are short, we emerge very tired. We plan to stay here a few days before heading down to Vavau. We crossed the dateline, so it is actually Monday. We forgot about this as we planned our arrival for customs. We thought we would arrive on Sunday, and not be able to clear in until the next day. Instead we arrived early afternoon Monday, and will not able to clear in until tomorrow. Oh well. We just have to relax on the boat and enjoy the sunset.

There were about 10 boats in the anchorage when we arrived, and we heard them planning a feast with locals on the radio for tomorrow night. We will likely be able to join them.

I will probably change the oil and fuel filters later tonight. There is a fair bit of work involved in this relaxation. But I actually enjoy most of these jobs. The boat is our home and keeps us safe. Out here I feel more in tune with the basics of life and living.

School on Savaii
08/06/2010, Auala village School, Savai'i, Samoa

While we were in Samoa, I visited a school on the island of Savaii.

The school was a big, blue, wooden building with two floors. It was a primary school and was situated in the middle of a gravel schoolyard.

I visited year 6(what Americans call fifth grade). My teacher's name was Mrs. Matamea. There were maybe 15 kids, and most of them had Samoan names. I took English and math class with them(The only classes spoken in English). The curriculum was different than it is in the States. The class was just beginning multiplication and division. The kids all shared an eraser and each received one pencil for the whole year.

I sat next to a girl named Anna. I shared her pencil to do my assignments. I used a new notebook for my English and math, which I got to keep afterword. While there, I observed that the kids used shells to count instead of math blocks. In between math and English, while the kids had break, I sat in the library and ate butter crackers and drank Samoan cocoa with the teachers. After my half day was over, I watched some Samoan kids perform "The morning meal" and "the three little pigs" in English. They were very good actors, and they spoke good English.

I had a nice time and they invited me back for another visit.

Newer ]  |  [ Older ]


Who: Eric, Christine and family
Port: Seattle, Washington
View Complete Profile »

Powered by SailBlogs