Bright Eyes

The search for bright waters...

11 September 2010
14 June 2010 | Herrington Harbour North
28 May 2010
24 May 2010 | Blogspot
21 May 2010 | The Hole
20 May 2010 | South River, Edgewater, MD
19 May 2010 | South River, Edgewater MD
17 May 2010
12 May 2010 | Edgwater, MD
23 April 2010 | Baltimore, MD
13 April 2010 | HHN
06 April 2010 | HHN
02 April 2010 | HHN Parking Lot
30 March 2010

I have Holeaphobia

20 March 2010
Great Weather! / Joey
I think this blog too so long to post because subconsiously I was reluctant to write about our failure. Well we havent failed yet but we are taking a long time to suceed. The Garmin and Autopilot projects that we thought would go smooth ofcourse did not. To be fair Christine is doing a great job with the autopilot and I am kinda holding her back.

The plan was to run all the wires through the pedistal guard. But once I drilled the hole, I realized that the wire connector of the transducer was too large and long to fit in my nice hole, so I made it bigger, and bigger. It eventually fit but once I connect the two plugs of the transducer, the whole connection aparatus wont fit through my huge hole. I decided to stop drilling and the wire will just have to hang out of the pedistal guard somewhat.

Like this


Then comes drilling a hole into the cockpit floor to run the wires through. This was even more scary after my previous hole failure. Well wouldnt you know after drilling a hole almost the size of the rubber foot, the transducer wire still wont fit through it. So I stopped early this time. Should I continue to make the hole bigger, knowing that I need to make the hole larger than needed so that we can epoxy properly? Or should I cut the wire and try to resplice it. Both options seem doomed.



In this pic, we stopped drilling and epoxied it up with the intention of cutting the wire and feeding it through. I think cutting the wire is our only option, otherwise we have to make this hole about a quarter inch bigger, if thats even possible.

What a mess...

More Garmin Install Pics


hit counter image
get a free hit counter




Comments
Vessel Name: Bright Eyes
Vessel Make/Model: 1985 Seidelmann 37
Hailing Port: Edgewater, MD
Crew: Joey and Christine
About: We are 24 year old office workers who plan to move on a boat and leave it all behind by cruising the CARIBBEAN! We have no sailing experience and no money. But those are just details right?! It's the power of the dream that matters so our adventure begins...
Extra:
The vessle: Bright Eyes 1985 Seidelmann 37 LOA - 36'10" Beam - 12' Draft - 4'5'' Displacement - 13,900 lbs Water - 60 gal Fuel - 18 gal Holding - 13 gal Sails - Main - 140 Genoa Engine - YANMAR 3GM30 Diesel 24HP, 2199 HOURS (as of purchase date) Starter Battery - 60ah House [...]

Who: Joey and Christine
Port: Edgewater, MD