Bookmark and Share
Bright Eyes
The search for bright waters...
A Penny Saved is a Penny Earned

I read about this from someone elses blog she says she makes like $100 a month just from other ppl signing up (referrals)

heres the concept, you log into your mrrebates account and shop at one of over approximately 200 online stores. It has alot of the majors brands you'd normally shop at. Each one has a percentage off next to it, and if you make your purchases while signed in, at the end of the month you get a check mailed to you with your savings. Instead of hunting for coupon codes online everything is in one place.

As a bonus, if you refer friends and they sign up and use mrrebates, you get 20% of their shopping and savings.

I signed up, lets try this out. Click the banner to sign up. Its free, and only takes a few minutes. They don't even ask you for personal information except your address to mail your check!

They even have with a 4% rebate!

I would love it if you would enter my email address as your referral. Its [email protected]


Mr. Rebates

hit counter image
get a free hit counter

05/06/2010 | Jay Gordon
"They don't even ask you for personal information except your address to mail your check!"

They don't need to get anymore personal than that. Would you like to know how many things I could tell you about yourself just from your address? Prepare for spam. They don;t give away money for nothing
05/07/2010 | Christine
Thanks Jay, that IS a good point. I guess time will tell. I belong to several survey sites, as does Joey and and they send me emails regularly yeah, BUT ... we also get great gift certificates in the mail once we get enough points to redeem and we get to pick the place! I love it! I'm at work, I'm checking my email, why not get a little icing on my cake.

If it turns out that I am getting spam from this site, (I chose not to enroll in the newsletter) then I will remove this post.

05/07/2010 | Jay Gordon
The spam may not come from their site as companies buy and sell this info to each other.

Please read Crusing with prudence enties on 7/14/08 and 8/5/08. They drove people to a site hoping fopr money. The company got 3 weeks of attention from prudence readers and the prudence couple got nothing.
05/07/2010 | Joey
yeah I rem that experiment of theirs. they got kicked off cuz too many ppl were clicking on the ads for them.

we plan on adding adsense evenutally but will not encourage click abuse.
Goodbye Herrington Harbour North

Ok so alot has happened in the last week. On Thursday we got tossed back in the drink (thats cool sailor talk for water). Oddly enough they put us back in our old slip which we were allowed to stay in till Sunday. We had some dejavu walking down that long E dock and it was fun to see our dock neighbors one last time. We truely are going to miss the wonderful people at Herrington Harbour North.

On the last day on the hard I finally finished servicing the engine and it only cost me one finger. I got the appropriate tool to change the secondary fuel filter and that went pretty smooth, only spilling some diesel fuel.

The zincs were still a pain in the butt tho. There are three zincs on our Yanmar 3GM30. One on the backside in plain view and two that are more hidden on the side behind the fuel filter and fuel pump. After a second trip to the hardware store we finally had a socket that would fit, 15/16 of an inch! But alas I am weak and could not get the bolt off. Luckily Christines Dad Paul came by to pick up his ladder and lent me a longer socket wrench to give me better torque. So I went back down below eager to tear this bolt off and it came flying loose with the first pull. Unfortunatly this caused me to slam my own hand into the engine and smashed my pinky finger. I now have two dark purple fingers. atleast they are still attached! But it was all worth it as I slid in a brand new zinc to protect our engine. The other two zincs I deemed inaccessable and called it a day.

Friday and Saturday were spent cleaning up and getting the boat ready for her first sail of the season. We got our Dodger back from the shop. We now have all new glass so we can actually see through it while sailing. Also combined with the connector and the bimini it does a great job of protecting us from the sun and rain. Unfortunatly the canvas shop forgot to give us back the wings of the dodger, well now we have a reason to go back to HHN!

We put the sails back up with minor trouble. The genoa was tough to raise but I attribute that to my overall lack of strength. I really gotta hit the gym. Once we were all packed up it was time to start the engine. Can you guess if the engine started easily? Ofcourse it didn't! But I had the engine door already open eager with anticipation to solve any diesel problems with my newly acquired knowledge. After about an hour of bleeding the low and high pressure systems and tightening all the the hose connections we decided to try again. And viola she came to life! Let's get out of here before the sun goes down. We waived bye to Mark as we left our slip and only one line behind. Up the bay we go!

Our first sail of the season went as about as well as we could predict. We had to brush off a few cobwebs but we got right back into the groove of things. We turned off the engine as soon as we could and started with our favorite sail, the big Genny! We sailed downwind in peaceful quietness. The weather was predicting late afternoon thunderstorms and there was about 10 knots of wind so maybe thats why there wasn't alot of boats out. We were pretty open, cruising along at about 7-8 knots.

Kittens first sail, grab a line cat!

As the wind died down a lil we attempted to put up the main sail but we ran into trouble with the track. One of the track pieces was damaged and needs to be replaced so we just left the main down. After about two and a half hours of sailing we came up to the mouth of the South River. The wind was now pathetic so we flipped on the engine and putt putted the final leg.

It took us about another 40 minutes to go all the way down the South River to our new marina which brought the total trip to 3 hours and 40 minutes for 22 miles. We know, sailing is slow.

We would have loved to easily tie up our boat and fall asleep but that was not the case. Our new slip is way too big, about twice of what we need. This made tieing her up almost impossible and we spent the first 15 minutes just holding her in place by hand and trying to figure out how to reach the piling. Eventually we had to borrow a dinghy from another boat to tie off the back lines. Another problem was that the power supply plug is a whole slip over and our power cord won't reach it while letting us also access the finger pier. So we are camping again untill they can fix this problem.

We decided to reward ourselves with an overpriced dinner at Yellowfin.

HHN to Liberty

PS: We took our new kitten to the vet and she is very healthy. Yes it's a GIRL! So we have to scratch the name Cullen and think of a new one. We are playing with the name Nala.

Click For New Cute Kitten Pics

hit counter image
get a free hit counter

Fun Stories with the Bright Eyes Crew

So as far as work was concerned this weekend it was a minor fail. The secondary fuel filter was not changed cuz I couldnt get a grip on it. There is absolutley NO room in that engine compartment. I found out we have 3 zincs and 2 are unreachable. The third one I wasn't strong enoungh to remove with a wrench and didnt have a large enough socket. Off to the hardware store...

I did however remove the whole water pump after failing to change the water impellor from its normal location. This invloves just unscrewing things untill it fell out. Our friend Glen was a good help with this project and in the end I did not change the propellor. It looked fine (and I couldn't get it out). But now we know how to access it atleast.

I applied some silicone to our hull nicks and to the large Binacle Guard hole and that was it for work.

We went to Christines Moms house for a cookout and saw some good friends including Christines brother Jordan who was home from the Army. He is currently stationed in Iraq and it was good to see him home safe.

On a side story, while leaving the bar Saturday night, I was hit by a car. Not my car, but me! We were walking through the parking lot when another car took the turn to exit too fast in the rain and just put me on the hood of their car. I rolled over to the ground but got up ok. I am a lil sore but generally ok. I was more worried about Christine who was now very upset and wanted to punch the guy in the face. I love my protective wife!

Earlier that day we went over to the barn where there were new kittens. We found 2 kittens and could hear a third one stuck behind the stall wall. Trisha said it had been there for two days and they couldn't get it out. We are suckers for lil kittens and couldn't leave it there. After about 30 min we finally had lassoed its lil arm and raised it up from behind the wall. We left it with its mother that night to get some nurishment but then Sunday before leaving we had decided we wanted to keep it.

So our crew is back to 4! We are hoping that the lil guy will be a good boat cat as he will be raised on one. We think he is about 4 or 5 weeks old. Yes we know you arn't supposed to take them untill after 9 weeks, but we think he will be safer in our comfy blankets than with the stomping barn horses. We are taking it to the vet soon for a check up and to find out if its a boy or girl.

Back to boating we bought a new toy! We got a prop guard which is basically a razor blade around our prop so that if anything tries to get tangled (like ropes, lines and crab pots) it will just slice it right up and we won't have to dive down there or break our engine. I made the mistake of paying for the install on this one, there was a miscommunication and the guy just showed up and installed it. I didn't argue though cuz subconsiously I was enjoying the thought of one less headache filled project.

Luckily though I was there and squeezed some Deisel Engine knowledge out of him. We officially do not have glow plugs! Interesting because we had been holding a swtich on the starting panel thinking it was glow plugs. Turns out it was just the guage back lights. Smooth....

And finally the last of our 3 month project, the Autopilot install is 100% complete! OOOOO how pretty! Good work team!

Engine Work
More Kitten Pics

hit counter image
get a free hit counter

04/27/2010 | Allan Smith
Great entry guys. That's the stuff I want to hear about! I KNOW my destinations are going to be wonderful. Its the details I need to hear. I don't like the feeling that I am the only sailor that things don't run smoothly Keep up the great work....Allan
04/27/2010 | Carol & Livia Dupuis & Gilstrap
What a beautiful kitten! - Livia
04/28/2010 | christine
We would like to hear any names for kitten that anyone has. We were thinking Cullen, but would love to hear your ideas!
04/28/2010 | chad
Like edward cullen?

how about sharkbait?
04/29/2010 | christine
Yes!!! Like Edward Cullen. haha. Joey wouldn't let me name our new dinghy Twilight so this is kinda a compromise...

he better not be sharkbait. he can be fishbait though since that is probably the only way we'll ever catch one!
05/03/2010 | Joey
alright so the Vet says its a girl! so we need a girl name now...
Jammin with Ben Harper
04/23/2010, Baltimore, MD

So while Bright Eyes didn't get a full wax and buff, she did get all new paint. This weekend we painted the ''racing stripes". I attempted to just touch up the stripes but that wasn't turning out so great and we had plenty of paint so paint we did!

We also used up the rest of the bottom paint we had on high use areas such as the bow and the leading edges of the rudder and keel. It actually took alot of time to use up the rest of the paint cuz we used a 1 inch brush, but i'd say theres a good 2 1/2 to 3 coats of bottom paint on now. We also cleaned and sprayed a metal anti-fouling spray on our prop. No barnicles for us please.

Ofcourse Saturday before we started painting we found a way to procrastinate by joining our new friends Alex and Rebecca at thier cookout. Then it turns out the cookout was also a Boat Naming Ceremony! They did it right though by having guests and offering the God of the Sea champagne instead of the Bud Light we used. It was a windy but still nice day and we got good food too!

On a side note, congrats to Eric and Rick for both selling their boats! I helped Rick clean out his shed by taking some cleaning products, but I should have known all I was doing was giving us more work to do... We found some varnish and decided to use it up. But then we got a recommendation to use Cetol instead so we ended up buying stuff anyway. Christine is handling the teak and the first coat looks very nice. Two more coats and our teak should be rid of that weathered look.

The last chore of the weekend involved running the wires for the Autopilot. Everything is hooked up we just gotta mount the computer. Our laziness got the best of us and that can wait till next week. We are going to finish servicing the engine this weekend but everything that has to be done while on land is done!

Tuesday we got to see Ben Harper (the real one, not Christines kayak) at Pier 6 in Baltimore. We went with some good friends and got their early enough for 3rd row seats! It was a great time and he played for over 2 hours jammin into the night.

O and also we found this neat new website that interviews crusiers. Lots of advice on here and hopefully more to come. They interview a new cruiser every Monday.


More Beautiful Boat Pics...

hit counter image
get a free hit counter

04/23/2010 | Snoodle Time
Your boat is looking great. It is nice to see sail boats loved and taken care of. I just finished mine up from this years haul out. Redid the bottom paint, waxed the hull and also painted the boot stripe, in a nice bright red. Really sets the boat off. I bet you are glad you did yours too.

Now on to a great year of sailing.
04/26/2010 | Terry
She looks beautiful!
04/26/2010 | Jay Gordon
Is there a time limit by which the boat must be launched after painting? I always thought it had to go more or less right in when the paint was dry or the anti fouling properties would be lessened.
04/27/2010 | Joey
Thanks Terry, we put alot of hard work into her.

I believe only the hard anti-fouling paints need to be launched immediatly. We have a soft albative which we were told is ok. We launch this Thursday tho!
04/27/2010 | Jay Gordon
The prop looks great. I didn't know there was spray anti foul. I always saw guys brush paint props if they did anything at all. Spray looks much better! Prudence used to complain about fouling on the transducer and I think the prop. This would have served him well.
Happy Birthday Bright Eyes
04/13/2010, HHN

Today is exactly one year since we bought ol Bright Eyes. So in our eyes, she is one year old. However since she was built in 1985 we have decided that this date will also represent her real birthday, so Bright Eyes officially turns 25 years old today! Since we are 24 and 25 years old also, we like to think that this is fine age for her, maybe even her prime years!

For her birthday Bright Eyes got a new paint job. Last week we put the first coat on and this weekend we put the second coat on. We saved a lil bit for the spots under the stilts. We also bought new paint for her "racing stripe". We will repaint her dark blue stripes on next weekend. Bright Eyes is getting quite the pampering.

One thing she is not getting though is a new wax/buffing job. Christine did a great job washing the boat down with boat soap that the hull already shines pretty good. We attempted to put that final coat of wax on and buff but that lasted all of 20 minutes before we got tired and decided we weren't making much of a difference.

This how far we got.

In other exciting news, I am eager to announce that the GARMIN install is complete! After the last post, I had enough messing around on my own and recruited help. I first went to the cruiser forums and got some trouble shooting ideas. Then I took the whole unit, wires and all, into West Marine and checked that it worked. It did so the problem was now officially with our boat. I tested voltage at the control panel with the unit connected without a breaker and got 7.5 volts. Then I hooked up the unit to the batteries directly and got 13 volts and it came on. So the problem had to be in our electrical wiring. Then luckily our good friend and handyman Nick came over and we dove into the wires. We started testing the voltage at different points but then Nick quickly noticed a loose ground. The bolt on the original grounding plate was loose. Once I tightened that up, we hooked up the Garmin and BINGO it came on! What a relief. It took all of one hour to resplice and rerun all the wires and now it is all systems go.

Here you can see we are on land and at 0 depth! O no we've run aground...

One good thing about this Garmin trouble is my knowledge of electrical connections as grown immensely. Which is one of the reasons (the other being money) that we try to do all our installs ourselves. We want to learn as much as possible about our lil home.

The rest of the weekend was spent celebrating and cleaning/organizing. When we bought the boat, the cabinets were filled with stuff we had no idea what to use it for. Now that we know what different products are used for (and even bought some products we already had, doh!) we organized and inventoried all our boat products.

Here is one of a few storage cabinets.

Lastly, one of our folding bikes came in! We got these folding bikes so that we can explore the islands better. They might not win any races but they should provide us some weekly exercise too.

If you like paint click HERE

If you like Garmins click HERE

Editors Note: Bright Eyes is still on land but that wasn't exciting enough for this blog so the lead pic is from her survey day.

hit counter image
get a free hit counter

Bright Eyes Gets A New Coat
04/06/2010, HHN

Spring is here! What nice weekend weather we had. Since we only have 4 weeks to get the bottom paint job done while we are on the hard, we told ourselves that we would start painting the first chance the weather permits.

Well the sun was shining so we dived right in. We bought a dustless sander from Rick for about the same price it would have cost us to rent one from the marina. While I was yelling at the Garmin (more later) Christine sanded the whole bottom of the boat! Of course this took multiple trips to West Marine and the hardware store to get what we needed (air filter ect.). We created a bungee cord system to help take the strain off her arms but it didn't travel well or get to the far low spots so she had to abandon it often. She got the job done though!

We now have a Rigid dustless sander for sale if anyone is interested :)

O and we have electricity and water now. We bought the adapter needed for $36 so now we have lights. And the water was always on, Christine just needs to work out a lil more to turn it on ;)

Since we are working on multiply projects, our aft berth and one cockpit locker were emptied out on to our deck. A young couple came by to say hello to us and commented that our boat was very "outfitted". We think that's just a nice way of saying there's a lot of shit on our boat.

So I replaced the extension wires for the Garmin to no avail. We saw our boating mentor Eric since he is on the same row on the hard as us, and we met his brother in law Glen who just bought a Pearson 35 that we had looked at back in April. What a small world. As usual we all talked boating stuff and we came out a little more knowledgeable than before. They gave me some trouble shooting pointers on the Garmin but nothing has worked yet.

I took the Garmin head unti to West Marine and we tested it with their wires and it came on great so the head unit is fine, must be the wires. When the unit is unplugged I get a voltage reading at the control panel of 13.5 and I get a voltage reading after my extension splice of 13.5 so my extension splice must be good. I haven't been able to test the voltage at the end of the plug because there are about 20 lil holes and the owner's manual doesn't say which are which. But I think the problem must be in that Garmin wire. Once I plug the unit in, the voltage reads 7.5 at the control panel and 7.5 on both sides of my extension splice, but still don't know the voltage at the plug. Whatever it is, it isn't enough to turn the unit on. And of course my voltage meter at the control panel bounces back and forth. I might have to pull the Garmin wire out and inspect for damage and possibly return it to West Marine.

Ok so back to fun stuff. Saturday as the sun was winding down, our last task was to get the lines and fender that were left at our slip. So we got to test out our new inflatable kayaks!

We bought these for each other as Christmas presents but hadn't got to use them yet. I need to work on inflating them completely but they looked and worked great. We kayaked over to our slip, about 5 piers over. Of course as the evening was setting in, the winds picked up and now there was a strong opposite direction current and some choppiness. We made it through though, getting moderately wet, and salvaged our booty.

We have named them after two of our favorite muscians: Ben Harper and Jack Johnson

Sunday was paint day. It had finally arrived. We bought a nice lil 2 person painting kit at WM for $10 and got the paint can shook up there. You gotta make sure the copper, which keeps off lil critters, is evenly dispersed throughout the paint. Painting was fun for about 40 minutes. Then we realized we should have sanded more (read: Joey should have helped) because parts of the old paint were coming off as we rolled the paint on. Plus our arms just got tired. We really had to stretch out that one gallon of paint. After about 2 hours we had covered 98% of the boat and about 20% of ourselves.

Next weekend we will add the second coat and hopefully (key word hopefully) have the Garmin install complete so we can move on to other projects and enjoy out upcoming season!

209 days left!

Click here for more Kayak and Paint Pics

hit counter image
get a free hit counter

04/08/2010 | Jay Gordon
Check your new paint carefully. If you can knock off by hand now you should resand and repaint. If you put a second coat over loose paint it's just good money after bad.
04/12/2010 | Snoodle Time
sounds like you have the polarity reversed on your garmin.


Newer ]  |  [ Older ]


Who: Joey and Christine
Port: Edgewater, MD
View Complete Profile »
Under 45s • 

Powered by SailBlogs