25 June 2017 | 100 Nm South East of Ajaccio, Corsica
23 June 2017 | South East of Mallorca, Mediterranean
22 June 2017 | South of Formentera, Mediterranean
21 June 2017 | Palos Sea, Mediterranean
17 June 2017 | Cartagena, Spain
17 June 2017 | Cartagena, Spain
15 June 2017 | Alboran Sea, Mediterranean
14 June 2017 | Alboran Sea, Mediterranean
11 June 2017 | Bodebar Tapas Bar, La Linea
11 June 2017 | La Linea, Spain
07 June 2017 | La Linea, Spain
04 June 2017 | La Linea, Spain
18 August 2016 | Alcaidesa Marina, La Linea, Spain
16 August 2016 | Bay of Cadiz, Spain
13 August 2016 | Mazagon, Spain
10 August 2016 | Tavira, Portugal
06 August 2016 | Faro Lagoon, Portugal
05 August 2016 | Alvor Lagoon, Portugal

Almost there....

25 June 2017 | 100 Nm South East of Ajaccio, Corsica
I would like to say that we have had a very peaceful trip so far from Cartagena to Ajaccio, Corsica, but I would of course be lying! All had gone pretty well until early this morning. Our cruising chute had been performing exceptionally well until about 6-30 am at which time we discovered the maximum amount of wind which the sail can cope with. We then went past this maximum limit....bang. The sheet (line) used to control the sail snapped into two and the pulley block through which this line was attached to QUASAR IV disintegrated under the excessive strain it was put under. All hands on deck and the sail was quickly recovered back on board and shoved down the forward hatch into Mark's cabin. At this point the wind speed had very rapidly risen to above 20 knots without any warning giving no time to get the sail down to prevent the damage. Still, no-one was injured, the sail itself is OK and just a new line and block to purchase in Corsica on arrival. A great start to the day. From here on, a great sail in 20 knots of wing for four or five hours using conventional sails until the black sky appeared ahead...with the fork lightening hitting the sea. This is not a welcome sight when you are the only yacht in the sea in about a 50 mile radius and you have the only 18 metre lightening conductor attached to the deck! The heavy rain swept across us without further incident other than a really good soaking. Mark's new waterproofs from Decathlon were excellent, my old Gill jacket just about hung on in there and Tracey took cover, good plan! Since the rain, the weather has died down, we are motor sailing again in a heavy swell which will make my attempts at cooking dinner somewhat tricky. Something simple like beans on toast would be great I think, if only we had a toaster..... :-)

Cruising Chute Flying

23 June 2017 | South East of Mallorca, Mediterranean
Today's big event has been getting our new cruising chute flying for the first time. Easily handled by two people, rather than the four that the spinnaker needed, we got the chute deployed at around 2pm today and what a difference! Two knots faster moving than we were with the engine running. So off we are now heading at 6 knots, no engine, towards Menorca. I may need to refuel there but hopefully, with the new sail operational, perhaps not. That's it for today, photos to follow when we have an internet connection again next Monday when we should be in Corsica.

Just passing Ibiza...

22 June 2017 | South of Formentera, Mediterranean
Still very little wind today but what there is has veered south east so we are now motor-sailing (sails out, engine on) which is giving an average speed of about 5.5 knots as opposed to the 4 knots yesterday. Despite best efforts by Mark today, still no fish caught so it was Tesco's canned chicken curry with a few special additions tonight for dinner. After avoiding what seemed like a continuous wave of tankers and cargo ships last night around midnight, it has been very quiet today with few ships seen. I have been practicing my somewhat rusty sextant skills and managed to plot our position to within a 1.5 Nm square which I was quite pleased with given the seven year gap since I last took any sun sights! If I can remember which stars are which tonight, I am planning on taking a few star sights as well, along with Jupiter which we can see clearly each night. If all else fails, I could just read the GPS I suppose but that is the easy way out! All's well on board, so that's it for now.
Vessel Name: Quasar IV of Lleyn
Vessel Make/Model: Westerly Oceanlord 41
Hailing Port: Portsmouth, Hampshire
Crew: Graham and Tracey Kyte
About: Having made it to Gibraltar last August, now heading back to QUASAR IV to continue onward towards Corfu, Greece. Hoping to catch a few days on the various islands on route as well.
Extra: Corsica, Sardinia and Malta...here we come!
Home Page: http://www.sailblogs.com/member/jollynomad/
Quasar IV of Lleyn's Photos - (Main)
A collection of photos from our new home in Paleokastritsa, Corfu.
4 Photos
Created 6 July 2015
Some pictures from the Awhba Camping Trip, Saudi Arabia, 12/13 April 2012.
19 Photos
Created 20 April 2012
A short collection of photos from March to June 2011 in and around Riyadh.
25 Photos
Created 3 June 2011
Having arrived on the 18th June, we are currently waiting for spare parts to be fabricated here on island to fix the broken rigging before heading back to Falmouth, UK.
34 Photos
Created 30 June 2010
Sailing 2200 Nm from St Georges, Bermuda, to Horta, Faial, the Azores
56 Photos
Created 19 June 2010
A short summary of our stop here in Bermuda on our way to the Azores
26 Photos
Created 24 May 2010
Sailing QUASAR IV north from Sint Maarten to Bermuda, 950 Nm.
17 Photos
Created 22 May 2010
General photos of life aboard
29 Photos
Created 5 June 2008
Mark T, ME (Graham) and Tony Ball, an old school friend have just spent a week backpacking around Dartmoor, camping out in the hills. A great break from boat maintenance!
32 Photos
Created 8 March 2008
General photos of S/Y QUASAR IV as we prepare her for our voyage
1 Photo
Created 7 January 2008