20 June 2019 | Gouvia Marina, Corfu, Greece
19 June 2019 | Aktion, Greece
18 June 2019 | Vlycho, Lefkada.
17 June 2019 | Agia Efimia, Kefalonia, Greece
16 June 2019 | Kastos, Kastos Island, Greece
15 June 2019 | Taverna Spilia, Spartachori, Meganisi, Greece
14 June 2019 | Lefkas Canal, Lefkada, Greece
13 June 2019 | Cleopatra Marina, Preveza, Greece
12 June 2019 | Lakka, Paxos, Greece
11 June 2019 | Syvota, Greece Mainland
10 June 2019 | Gouvia Marina, Corfu, Greece
28 April 2019 | Petrino Garden, Palaiokastritsa, Corfu, Greece
26 April 2019 | Gouvia Marina, Corfu, Greece
25 April 2019 | Gaios, Paxos, Greece
24 April 2019 | Vathi, Meganisi, Greece
23 April 2019 | Fiskardo, Kefalonia, Greece
22 April 2019 | Nidri, Lefkada, Greece
22 April 2019 | Lefkas Canal, Lefkada, Greece
22 April 2019 | Cleopatra Marina, Preveza, Greece
19 April 2019 | Cleopatra Marina, Preveza, Greece

To the Boiling Lake

03 March 2010 | Roseau, Domnica, West Indies
Graham
Having spent our time rolling in Portsmouth, we moved south by about 20 Nm to Roseau, the capital of Dominica, last Friday. We tied up on a mooring buoy again as the beach shelved very sharply indeed and was unsuitable for safe anchoring. The Dominica Marine Centre provided the moorings and provided us with a good location to explore the town of Roseau and hike up into the neighbouring mountains from the nearby village of Laudat. It did not take long to realise that Dominica is a special place; unspoilt by tourism, incredibly friendly locals keen to tell you all about their home, and absolutely stunning hiking country only matched in my memory by hiking in Nepal many years ago. The town itself is warm and welcoming with different music playing around every corner, and the fruit and veg market was without doubt the best we have visited throughout the entire Caribbean. After a fair amount of investigation, we managed to find a landcape gardener and mountain guide called Peter who agreed to take us up to The Boiling Lake on Monday. What a walk! Best described as a gruelling hike with spectacular scenery, this is one not to be missed. Setting off from Laudat with Peter, we climbed steadily up through the rainforest, over several peaks, and past an emergency helicopter landing site, before our final ascent to the Boiling Lake, the largest volcanic lake of its type in the world. During the final 30 minutes of ascent, steam was pouring out of the ground from various vents and the water in the rivers and springs was boiling. Peter brought three fresh eggs with him, placed them in a cloth and immersed them in one of the rivers. More on this later. On looking over the crater rim, the view was amazing; an enormous lake several hundred feet below us boiling at 100 Deg C with steam everywhere. We had never seen anything like this before. An ideal lunch spot, we broke out the salted cod fish, local tomatoes and bread, and tucked into a great local lunch, before heading back down the rim (on the outside, I might add!) to the point on the stream where we left the eggs. Still there, and perfectly cooked into hard-boiled eggs, another snack was had and the rest of lunch finished. The eggs only really needed 5 minutes in the stream, so they were well done after the one and a half hours they had been in there! The trek back down was very tiring indeed, mainly because it involved going up and down over three mountain ridges again, and certainly exercised the calf muscles which are still aching three days later! The hike made a great last day in Dominica and, along with the friendship and kindness of all the people we met there, has made a lasting impression on us. We will return! If you like adventurous hiking, I would really recommend a holiday here; it's an amazing country.
Comments
Vessel Name: Quasar IV of Lleyn
Vessel Make/Model: Westerly Oceanlord 41
Hailing Port: Portsmouth, Hampshire
Crew: Graham and Tracey Kyte
About: Now based in Corfu, Greece, enjoying some Ionian sailing at last!
Extra: Getting statrted on some Winter 2020 maintenance now that the diving season is finished!
Home Page: http://www.sailblogs.com/member/jollynomad/
Quasar IV of Lleyn's Photos - (Main)
A few pictures from Mark T and my Ionian Cruise in April 2019. A great trip and quite eventful at times :-)
No Photos
Created 29 April 2019
A collection of photos from our new home in Paleokastritsa, Corfu.
4 Photos
Created 6 July 2015
Some pictures from the Awhba Camping Trip, Saudi Arabia, 12/13 April 2012.
19 Photos
Created 20 April 2012
A short collection of photos from March to June 2011 in and around Riyadh.
25 Photos
Created 3 June 2011
Having arrived on the 18th June, we are currently waiting for spare parts to be fabricated here on island to fix the broken rigging before heading back to Falmouth, UK.
34 Photos
Created 30 June 2010
Sailing 2200 Nm from St Georges, Bermuda, to Horta, Faial, the Azores
56 Photos
Created 19 June 2010
A short summary of our stop here in Bermuda on our way to the Azores
26 Photos
Created 24 May 2010
Sailing QUASAR IV north from Sint Maarten to Bermuda, 950 Nm.
17 Photos
Created 22 May 2010
General photos of life aboard
29 Photos
Created 5 June 2008
Mark T, ME (Graham) and Tony Ball, an old school friend have just spent a week backpacking around Dartmoor, camping out in the hills. A great break from boat maintenance!
32 Photos
Created 8 March 2008
General photos of S/Y QUASAR IV as we prepare her for our voyage
1 Photo
Created 7 January 2008