20 June 2019 | Gouvia Marina, Corfu, Greece
19 June 2019 | Aktion, Greece
18 June 2019 | Vlycho, Lefkada.
17 June 2019 | Agia Efimia, Kefalonia, Greece
16 June 2019 | Kastos, Kastos Island, Greece
15 June 2019 | Taverna Spilia, Spartachori, Meganisi, Greece
14 June 2019 | Lefkas Canal, Lefkada, Greece
13 June 2019 | Cleopatra Marina, Preveza, Greece
12 June 2019 | Lakka, Paxos, Greece
11 June 2019 | Syvota, Greece Mainland
10 June 2019 | Gouvia Marina, Corfu, Greece
28 April 2019 | Petrino Garden, Palaiokastritsa, Corfu, Greece
26 April 2019 | Gouvia Marina, Corfu, Greece
25 April 2019 | Gaios, Paxos, Greece
24 April 2019 | Vathi, Meganisi, Greece
23 April 2019 | Fiskardo, Kefalonia, Greece
22 April 2019 | Nidri, Lefkada, Greece
22 April 2019 | Lefkas Canal, Lefkada, Greece
22 April 2019 | Cleopatra Marina, Preveza, Greece
19 April 2019 | Cleopatra Marina, Preveza, Greece

QUASAR IV Emergency Departures - Part 3!

08 March 2010 | Falmouth Harbour, Antigua, West Indies
Graham
'...beep..beep..beep...'. It was still dark and I had no time to look at the clock. Hatches open, on deck, and we were alongside a 45 foot catamaran, about one metre away. It was a miracle we had not collided. A leap to the engine controls, engine on, and instantly motoring away to relative safety. Looking behind me I saw the cliff wall about 20 metres away and gratefully getting further away. The swell was now from the northwest and boats appeared everywhere in the shadows. I could hear shouting in the distance from another few boats also in unlucky positions, with problems unknown. Tracey pulled up the anchor and within less than a minute we were on our way out to sea for safety. Our anchor chain had fouled itself in the night by us swinging around in circles and had pulled itself out of the seabed. Prior to starting the engine, we had moved a further 55 metres from our anchor point! Glad to be in the safety of the sea again, we headed straight for Antigua. And..oh yes..it was absolutely tipping down with torrential rain from the moment we were on deck, in the dark, for a good hour longer. Once we had sorted ourselves out, packed anchoring gear away, and settled down for the long trip, into wind, into the swell, we checked on the time; 7-10 am! We estimate that we had left at about 5-30 am. The trip to Antigua was uneventful for the rest of the day but was an awful sail. With the bow into waves and wind all day, we had no option but to motorsail again (rare for us). At one point in the day, we were only making 1.5 knots headway and depression was clearly setting in. With the only escape options, given that the overnight anchorage was no longer tenable, being to return due south to The Saintes (40Nm), or west to Montserrat (the volcano here keeps exploding!), we had to press on, so we did. The sea state was quite bad with several waves reaching 20 feet high and not what we expected on this trip at all, the wind also hovering frequently above 25 knots. Tracey and I were both dressed from head to toe in our Musto foul weather gear, lifejackets, and clipped on to the boat, and were totally drenched when we finally reached the very welcoming safety of Falmouth Harbour, Antigua, last night at about 9pm where we are now drying out! A good curry, good night's sleep, and a smooth check in with Customs this morning, all great. On reaching the dockside in English Harbour this morning for coffee, there were several small, high tech looking, rowing boats. They had left La Gomera in the Canary Islands on the 9th December, last year, and had just arrived... I think we had a cushy trip yesterday compared to some people's experiences over the past 3 months!
Comments
Vessel Name: Quasar IV of Lleyn
Vessel Make/Model: Westerly Oceanlord 41
Hailing Port: Portsmouth, Hampshire
Crew: Graham and Tracey Kyte
About: Now based in Corfu, Greece, enjoying some Ionian sailing at last!
Extra: Getting statrted on some Winter 2020 maintenance now that the diving season is finished!
Home Page: http://www.sailblogs.com/member/jollynomad/
Quasar IV of Lleyn's Photos - (Main)
A few pictures from Mark T and my Ionian Cruise in April 2019. A great trip and quite eventful at times :-)
No Photos
Created 29 April 2019
A collection of photos from our new home in Paleokastritsa, Corfu.
4 Photos
Created 6 July 2015
Some pictures from the Awhba Camping Trip, Saudi Arabia, 12/13 April 2012.
19 Photos
Created 20 April 2012
A short collection of photos from March to June 2011 in and around Riyadh.
25 Photos
Created 3 June 2011
Having arrived on the 18th June, we are currently waiting for spare parts to be fabricated here on island to fix the broken rigging before heading back to Falmouth, UK.
34 Photos
Created 30 June 2010
Sailing 2200 Nm from St Georges, Bermuda, to Horta, Faial, the Azores
56 Photos
Created 19 June 2010
A short summary of our stop here in Bermuda on our way to the Azores
26 Photos
Created 24 May 2010
Sailing QUASAR IV north from Sint Maarten to Bermuda, 950 Nm.
17 Photos
Created 22 May 2010
General photos of life aboard
29 Photos
Created 5 June 2008
Mark T, ME (Graham) and Tony Ball, an old school friend have just spent a week backpacking around Dartmoor, camping out in the hills. A great break from boat maintenance!
32 Photos
Created 8 March 2008
General photos of S/Y QUASAR IV as we prepare her for our voyage
1 Photo
Created 7 January 2008