20 June 2019 | Gouvia Marina, Corfu, Greece
19 June 2019 | Aktion, Greece
18 June 2019 | Vlycho, Lefkada.
17 June 2019 | Agia Efimia, Kefalonia, Greece
16 June 2019 | Kastos, Kastos Island, Greece
15 June 2019 | Taverna Spilia, Spartachori, Meganisi, Greece
14 June 2019 | Lefkas Canal, Lefkada, Greece
13 June 2019 | Cleopatra Marina, Preveza, Greece
12 June 2019 | Lakka, Paxos, Greece
11 June 2019 | Syvota, Greece Mainland
10 June 2019 | Gouvia Marina, Corfu, Greece
28 April 2019 | Petrino Garden, Palaiokastritsa, Corfu, Greece
26 April 2019 | Gouvia Marina, Corfu, Greece
25 April 2019 | Gaios, Paxos, Greece
24 April 2019 | Vathi, Meganisi, Greece
23 April 2019 | Fiskardo, Kefalonia, Greece
22 April 2019 | Nidri, Lefkada, Greece
22 April 2019 | Lefkas Canal, Lefkada, Greece
22 April 2019 | Cleopatra Marina, Preveza, Greece
19 April 2019 | Cleopatra Marina, Preveza, Greece

Braving the weather

17 April 2010 | Parham Harbour, Antigua, WI
Graham
After more torrential rain yesterday and this morning, we decided that we were going to leave St John's Harbour regardless of the weather (within reason!) and head for Parham Sound on the NE coast of Antigua. With a northerly swell in full action and 20 knots of wind, this was likely to be a slog of a motor sail. We set off at 10 am in drizzle and, sure enough, found plenty of waves and wind. To add to today's fun, the navigation needed to be spot on as we were making our way through numerous reefs and rocky outcrops requiring 'good light' according to the pilot guide. Well, we certainly did not have good light, but we do have a good GPS, with a secondary one also programmed today with our route in case of failure. This may seem somewhat of an overkill, but when you are sailing in 4 metres of water about 15 metres from coral heads with no sun above, you really need to know where you are fairly precisely! Our depth gauge proved the most useful tool of the day and was essential in working a way through to the anchorage. After a couple of of breathtaking moments with the gauge reading 2.1 metres (our draft is 1.9 metres) near our anchor point, we finally anchored in Parham Harbour .... just as the throttle cable snapped! This is about 2 years to the day when it last snapped in Poole Harbour. Unfortunately, it is now late Saturday, the chandlery is shut until Monday, and will require a half mile dinghy trip to shore, four bus journeys, and a dinghy trip back to the boat to get the spare part. Then it needs fitting which I recall is a real pig of a job. That's Monday's plan sorted then! In the mean time, with very strong winds expected tonight, we have our second anchor ready to hurl over the side in case of a dire anchor-dragging situation. Most unlikely of course! The best thing about our new location is that the sea is flat calm, the view is very pleasant, there are very few other boats here, and it was incredibly peaceful watching the pelicans dive into the sea for their dinner this evening. We are planning on staying in this area for a week now to investigate some of the surrounding islands once I have fixed the throttle cable.
Comments
Vessel Name: Quasar IV of Lleyn
Vessel Make/Model: Westerly Oceanlord 41
Hailing Port: Portsmouth, Hampshire
Crew: Graham and Tracey Kyte
About: Now based in Corfu, Greece, enjoying some Ionian sailing at last!
Extra: Getting statrted on some Winter 2020 maintenance now that the diving season is finished!
Home Page: http://www.sailblogs.com/member/jollynomad/
Quasar IV of Lleyn's Photos - (Main)
A few pictures from Mark T and my Ionian Cruise in April 2019. A great trip and quite eventful at times :-)
No Photos
Created 29 April 2019
A collection of photos from our new home in Paleokastritsa, Corfu.
4 Photos
Created 6 July 2015
Some pictures from the Awhba Camping Trip, Saudi Arabia, 12/13 April 2012.
19 Photos
Created 20 April 2012
A short collection of photos from March to June 2011 in and around Riyadh.
25 Photos
Created 3 June 2011
Having arrived on the 18th June, we are currently waiting for spare parts to be fabricated here on island to fix the broken rigging before heading back to Falmouth, UK.
34 Photos
Created 30 June 2010
Sailing 2200 Nm from St Georges, Bermuda, to Horta, Faial, the Azores
56 Photos
Created 19 June 2010
A short summary of our stop here in Bermuda on our way to the Azores
26 Photos
Created 24 May 2010
Sailing QUASAR IV north from Sint Maarten to Bermuda, 950 Nm.
17 Photos
Created 22 May 2010
General photos of life aboard
29 Photos
Created 5 June 2008
Mark T, ME (Graham) and Tony Ball, an old school friend have just spent a week backpacking around Dartmoor, camping out in the hills. A great break from boat maintenance!
32 Photos
Created 8 March 2008
General photos of S/Y QUASAR IV as we prepare her for our voyage
1 Photo
Created 7 January 2008