20 June 2019 | Gouvia Marina, Corfu, Greece
19 June 2019 | Aktion, Greece
18 June 2019 | Vlycho, Lefkada.
17 June 2019 | Agia Efimia, Kefalonia, Greece
16 June 2019 | Kastos, Kastos Island, Greece
15 June 2019 | Taverna Spilia, Spartachori, Meganisi, Greece
14 June 2019 | Lefkas Canal, Lefkada, Greece
13 June 2019 | Cleopatra Marina, Preveza, Greece
12 June 2019 | Lakka, Paxos, Greece
11 June 2019 | Syvota, Greece Mainland
10 June 2019 | Gouvia Marina, Corfu, Greece
28 April 2019 | Petrino Garden, Palaiokastritsa, Corfu, Greece
26 April 2019 | Gouvia Marina, Corfu, Greece
25 April 2019 | Gaios, Paxos, Greece
24 April 2019 | Vathi, Meganisi, Greece
23 April 2019 | Fiskardo, Kefalonia, Greece
22 April 2019 | Nidri, Lefkada, Greece
22 April 2019 | Lefkas Canal, Lefkada, Greece
22 April 2019 | Cleopatra Marina, Preveza, Greece
19 April 2019 | Cleopatra Marina, Preveza, Greece

A calm, suuny day, with no wind.....

30 May 2010 | 205 Nm NE of Bermuda
Graham
It seems like ocean sailing can be a mixture of being nearly battered to death by the elements on one day, followed by no wind and a flat sea on the next. We put the engine on last night at 9 pm as the remnants of the bad NE wind disappeared and the sea died down. By 6 am this morning, the wind had dropped to almost nothing, and the sea had gone glassy. Although far more relaxing than the previous few days, some wind would be very useful at the moment as after 3 days at sea, we are only 200 Nm from Bermuda - we had hoped to be 360 Nm by now! Still, there have been a number of positive sides to the slow trip. We have seen three turtles this morning (still trying to establish which variety), all stationary in the water, with fish under them. I seem to remember a BBC programme referring to the turtles stopping at a 'cleaning station' where other fish eat all of the barnacles and weed off the turtle shell, then it sets off on its way again, so this may be the case here. We have seen a number of Shearwaters flying around close to the boat, and the sky is blue, totally clear with no clouds. I have taken a look around the deck to investigate our leak during the bad weather, and have found a possible suspect, namely, our water filling spout on the deck which appeared to have a small gap through the deck, although we won't know until the next bout of bad weather which I am certain we will receive before reaching the Azores! The shorts are back on, as well as the sun lotion and lipsalve, and you would never know that the last few days had been so unpleasant. Our weather information suggests that by 9 pm this evening the wind will be picking up to a 15 knot south westerly, and we should be sailing again, engine off. This will be great as we only have a limited amount of fuel, and certainly not enough to motor all of the way to the Azores! You can see from our Winlink Position Report that we are heading roughly north east. The aim is to get as far north towards 38 Deg N, but avoiding any bad storms that do collect around this latitude. It's a calculated gamble on being in the right place at the right time, and I look at the forecast for 3 days ahead to try to deduce where we would be best placed to make the most of the weather. Then we try to sail to the right spot in good time. This is clearly proving a challenge today!
Comments
Vessel Name: Quasar IV of Lleyn
Vessel Make/Model: Westerly Oceanlord 41
Hailing Port: Portsmouth, Hampshire
Crew: Graham and Tracey Kyte
About: Now based in Corfu, Greece, enjoying some Ionian sailing at last!
Extra: Getting statrted on some Winter 2020 maintenance now that the diving season is finished!
Home Page: http://www.sailblogs.com/member/jollynomad/
Quasar IV of Lleyn's Photos - (Main)
A few pictures from Mark T and my Ionian Cruise in April 2019. A great trip and quite eventful at times :-)
No Photos
Created 29 April 2019
A collection of photos from our new home in Paleokastritsa, Corfu.
4 Photos
Created 6 July 2015
Some pictures from the Awhba Camping Trip, Saudi Arabia, 12/13 April 2012.
19 Photos
Created 20 April 2012
A short collection of photos from March to June 2011 in and around Riyadh.
25 Photos
Created 3 June 2011
Having arrived on the 18th June, we are currently waiting for spare parts to be fabricated here on island to fix the broken rigging before heading back to Falmouth, UK.
34 Photos
Created 30 June 2010
Sailing 2200 Nm from St Georges, Bermuda, to Horta, Faial, the Azores
56 Photos
Created 19 June 2010
A short summary of our stop here in Bermuda on our way to the Azores
26 Photos
Created 24 May 2010
Sailing QUASAR IV north from Sint Maarten to Bermuda, 950 Nm.
17 Photos
Created 22 May 2010
General photos of life aboard
29 Photos
Created 5 June 2008
Mark T, ME (Graham) and Tony Ball, an old school friend have just spent a week backpacking around Dartmoor, camping out in the hills. A great break from boat maintenance!
32 Photos
Created 8 March 2008
General photos of S/Y QUASAR IV as we prepare her for our voyage
1 Photo
Created 7 January 2008