20 June 2019 | Gouvia Marina, Corfu, Greece
19 June 2019 | Aktion, Greece
18 June 2019 | Vlycho, Lefkada.
17 June 2019 | Agia Efimia, Kefalonia, Greece
16 June 2019 | Kastos, Kastos Island, Greece
15 June 2019 | Taverna Spilia, Spartachori, Meganisi, Greece
14 June 2019 | Lefkas Canal, Lefkada, Greece
13 June 2019 | Cleopatra Marina, Preveza, Greece
12 June 2019 | Lakka, Paxos, Greece
11 June 2019 | Syvota, Greece Mainland
10 June 2019 | Gouvia Marina, Corfu, Greece
28 April 2019 | Petrino Garden, Palaiokastritsa, Corfu, Greece
26 April 2019 | Gouvia Marina, Corfu, Greece
25 April 2019 | Gaios, Paxos, Greece
24 April 2019 | Vathi, Meganisi, Greece
23 April 2019 | Fiskardo, Kefalonia, Greece
22 April 2019 | Nidri, Lefkada, Greece
22 April 2019 | Lefkas Canal, Lefkada, Greece
22 April 2019 | Cleopatra Marina, Preveza, Greece
19 April 2019 | Cleopatra Marina, Preveza, Greece

Closer by the day...

13 June 2010 | The North Atlantic
Graham
We are now about 150 Nm west of Flores, the first of the Azorean islands and therefore what is known as our 'Azores Landfall'. Unfortunately, we are not stopping here and will alter course when we are about 20 Nm south of Flores for Faial, further to the south east. Horta is our destination and a favourite Atlantic stopover for many yacht crews. Plenty of support is available, which is just as well as we certainly need a rigger on the case of Quasar IV! Our repair continues to hold out, but daily adjustments are being made to the rigging tightening screws to keep the past pointing upright. Still, no more adrenelin-pumping excitement for the past few days, and hopefully no more to come before getting to Horta. Mark managed to finally make a catch on his fishing line, but unfortunately, this appeared to be a bird with it's wing wrapped around the fishing line. With Clare armed with sailing gloves on and a tea towel at the ready to put over the bird's head, Mark and Clare started the process of carefully reeling in the line. Bird on board, bird not happy! Bird fights back. Clare's finger bruised by the bird (sailing gloves have no fingers!) and Mark bitten by the bird's very sharp beak, drawing blood. Still, the bird was released and fights to live another day. About 12 hours later, the same process happened again; a different bird, but no injuries this time. We still have plenty of water, and food stocks remain good although lunchtime variations are somewhat limited to noodles, noodles, or noodles! Yesterday, we hit the last of the tinned mushrooms, green beans, baked beans, peas, and ketchup. I used up our remaining supply of vacuum-packed bacon last night in a bacon and garden pea thai curry - that was a new recipe! If you look on our track by clicking on Winlink Position Reporter to the right of this screen, you will see that our course is heading somewhat north east at the moment and more slowly. This is because the wind is from the south east at the moment, and we are having to sail quite conservatively to reduce stress on the rigging repair which must be existing on borrowed time at the moment, so we are taking it steady. Over the next 12 hours or so, the wind should be moving further from the south and we can correct our course slightly more to eastward. On reaching Flores, we have a further 120 Nm to go for Horta, about 24 hours. I think it safe to say that we will really be glad to arrive, especially after some of the other 'snags' we have had on this trip which have not featured in the blog, mainly so you did not all think we were not going to make it! Anyway, all's well and so far today, nothing has broken, but then again, it's only 5-30 am here!!
Comments
Vessel Name: Quasar IV of Lleyn
Vessel Make/Model: Westerly Oceanlord 41
Hailing Port: Portsmouth, Hampshire
Crew: Graham and Tracey Kyte
About: Now based in Corfu, Greece, enjoying some Ionian sailing at last!
Extra: Getting statrted on some Winter 2020 maintenance now that the diving season is finished!
Home Page: http://www.sailblogs.com/member/jollynomad/
Quasar IV of Lleyn's Photos - (Main)
A few pictures from Mark T and my Ionian Cruise in April 2019. A great trip and quite eventful at times :-)
No Photos
Created 29 April 2019
A collection of photos from our new home in Paleokastritsa, Corfu.
4 Photos
Created 6 July 2015
Some pictures from the Awhba Camping Trip, Saudi Arabia, 12/13 April 2012.
19 Photos
Created 20 April 2012
A short collection of photos from March to June 2011 in and around Riyadh.
25 Photos
Created 3 June 2011
Having arrived on the 18th June, we are currently waiting for spare parts to be fabricated here on island to fix the broken rigging before heading back to Falmouth, UK.
34 Photos
Created 30 June 2010
Sailing 2200 Nm from St Georges, Bermuda, to Horta, Faial, the Azores
56 Photos
Created 19 June 2010
A short summary of our stop here in Bermuda on our way to the Azores
26 Photos
Created 24 May 2010
Sailing QUASAR IV north from Sint Maarten to Bermuda, 950 Nm.
17 Photos
Created 22 May 2010
General photos of life aboard
29 Photos
Created 5 June 2008
Mark T, ME (Graham) and Tony Ball, an old school friend have just spent a week backpacking around Dartmoor, camping out in the hills. A great break from boat maintenance!
32 Photos
Created 8 March 2008
General photos of S/Y QUASAR IV as we prepare her for our voyage
1 Photo
Created 7 January 2008