20 June 2019 | Gouvia Marina, Corfu, Greece
19 June 2019 | Aktion, Greece
18 June 2019 | Vlycho, Lefkada.
17 June 2019 | Agia Efimia, Kefalonia, Greece
16 June 2019 | Kastos, Kastos Island, Greece
15 June 2019 | Taverna Spilia, Spartachori, Meganisi, Greece
14 June 2019 | Lefkas Canal, Lefkada, Greece
13 June 2019 | Cleopatra Marina, Preveza, Greece
12 June 2019 | Lakka, Paxos, Greece
11 June 2019 | Syvota, Greece Mainland
10 June 2019 | Gouvia Marina, Corfu, Greece
28 April 2019 | Petrino Garden, Palaiokastritsa, Corfu, Greece
26 April 2019 | Gouvia Marina, Corfu, Greece
25 April 2019 | Gaios, Paxos, Greece
24 April 2019 | Vathi, Meganisi, Greece
23 April 2019 | Fiskardo, Kefalonia, Greece
22 April 2019 | Nidri, Lefkada, Greece
22 April 2019 | Lefkas Canal, Lefkada, Greece
22 April 2019 | Cleopatra Marina, Preveza, Greece
19 April 2019 | Cleopatra Marina, Preveza, Greece

A quiet night in Funchal Harbour...or not...

10 October 2008 | Funchal Harbour, Madeira
Bongo
The curious incident of the boat(s) in the night time.

A short but breezy sail from our marina to Funchal, anchoring just off the shore outside the small harbour, a bottle of wine and dinner looking across the night lights of Madeira's capital on a warm evening. What could be more perfect.?

And so to bed, to be rocked to sleep by the (not so) gentle swell. And so up again at 1am with the bleeping of one of our anchor alarms, which tells us the boat is moving from its anchored location. Three men in underwear rush on deck but all seems ok, we have just swung round completely as the wind has moved 180 degrees but our anchor is still holding. And so to bed again. And so up again at 2am. Both anchor alarms this time, but the same thing has happened again. We also note that unusually not all the boats are swinging in the same direction as the wind changes. We are closer to some of the boats now than last night. We watch and wait as the wind gusts from a few knots to 30 knots but deem it ok, and so to bed. And then at 3am.. bang. Three men on deck in underwear once again to find another boat has swung round catching our bow. No damage to us luckily but after a quick debate we decide to re-anchor, further away from the other boats' erratic swinging that seems to be a result of strong and changing winds from the island and a swell from the sea.

With all four of us up we move the boat and then sit under the stars in the cockpit with a snack monitoring things. One of the boats seems to be getting closer again, but then it seems to be getting further away. and further away. and we realise that its anchor can not holding and it is being blown out to sea. We shine our high power light on it, hoping to wake the occupants, as does another boat, but to no avail. We try to raise the Port Authorities on the radio while the other boat eventually sends out a dinghy and motors out, wakes the drifting boat's crew and we see lights and frenetic activity. It eventually comes back to shore and re-anchors.

And so to bed. And then at 7.30am the boat is lit up like a disco. Now there is a coastguard vessel alongside shining lights on us. It seems that a big cruise ship is inbound and all the sailing boats at anchor need to get closer to the shore to give it room to manoeuvre as it enters the port. Just the time you need the electric windlass for the anchor to fail on you..But we managed to move and yes, it was a big ship.

Forget bed now. Welcome to Funchal and the best protected anchorage in Madeira..
Comments
Vessel Name: Quasar IV of Lleyn
Vessel Make/Model: Westerly Oceanlord 41
Hailing Port: Portsmouth, Hampshire
Crew: Graham and Tracey Kyte
About: Now based in Corfu, Greece, enjoying some Ionian sailing at last!
Extra: Getting statrted on some Winter 2020 maintenance now that the diving season is finished!
Home Page: http://www.sailblogs.com/member/jollynomad/
Quasar IV of Lleyn's Photos - (Main)
A few pictures from Mark T and my Ionian Cruise in April 2019. A great trip and quite eventful at times :-)
No Photos
Created 29 April 2019
A collection of photos from our new home in Paleokastritsa, Corfu.
4 Photos
Created 6 July 2015
Some pictures from the Awhba Camping Trip, Saudi Arabia, 12/13 April 2012.
19 Photos
Created 20 April 2012
A short collection of photos from March to June 2011 in and around Riyadh.
25 Photos
Created 3 June 2011
Having arrived on the 18th June, we are currently waiting for spare parts to be fabricated here on island to fix the broken rigging before heading back to Falmouth, UK.
34 Photos
Created 30 June 2010
Sailing 2200 Nm from St Georges, Bermuda, to Horta, Faial, the Azores
56 Photos
Created 19 June 2010
A short summary of our stop here in Bermuda on our way to the Azores
26 Photos
Created 24 May 2010
Sailing QUASAR IV north from Sint Maarten to Bermuda, 950 Nm.
17 Photos
Created 22 May 2010
General photos of life aboard
29 Photos
Created 5 June 2008
Mark T, ME (Graham) and Tony Ball, an old school friend have just spent a week backpacking around Dartmoor, camping out in the hills. A great break from boat maintenance!
32 Photos
Created 8 March 2008
General photos of S/Y QUASAR IV as we prepare her for our voyage
1 Photo
Created 7 January 2008