18 April 2011 | Alexandria, VA
11 May 2010
31 July 2009
26 April 2009
24 January 2009 | Cadle Creek
27 December 2008 | Chesapeake Bay
09 November 2008
13 October 2008
30 September 2008
13 July 2008 | Warehouse Creek
30 May 2008 | St. Mary's River
26 May 2008 | Rhode River & Chesapeake Bay
24 May 2008 | Chesapeake Bay
04 May 2008 | Chesapeake Bay
29 April 2008

Installed table and a few other things

09 April 2006 | Edgewater, MD
I got a few things done out on the boat today. I did some more tests with my outboard to figure out if it is connected properly since the starter still does not work. It is in fact connected properly and I was able to test the voltage on the power lead a few feet from the outboard. I measured over 12 volts and let it run for 15 minutes and the alternator charged the battery to over 13 volts, so now I know that works. The fuse is good on the outboard, so I need to figure out why the starter still isn't working. Dave and I are going to look into it some more probably this coming weekend.

I cut the transom plastic trim piece to fit and installed it so it no longer has the unattractive deck/hull seam showing. I took a look at the head and I will need to eventually repair it or install a new head. The pump does not work at all. That will not be a fun project. I talked to a rep at West Marine for recommendations and I will really need to prepare for it, be ready for sewage.

I mounted my Polk speakers which you can see in the below photos. Soon I will install the head unit and be able to have some music out on the boat.

I finished and installed my new dinette table. I applied a total of 5 coats of polyurethane.
Here is my final product:
DSCN1585

Here is a close up of the edging:
DSCN1592

I reused the original hardware, but scrubbed it with a wire brush. The leg was very corroded but I was able to bring it back to looking almost new except one side. The side that faced out into the cabin was corroded, but I drilled out the rivets on the mount, drilled new holes, and reversed it so the corrosion does not show.
I originally was looking into getting some teak edging to use around the edge of the table to match the interior. When I priced it all out from a few sources, prices were always around $120 for the teak alone. That was a lot more than I hoped to spend and I wasn't sure how I was going to finish the edge. It wasn't until I went to Home Depot to pick up the wood that I found they made matching edging for the plywood. As you can see in the photo above, along the long sides, the wood appears to be solid oak; the veneer blends right in. Of course around the curve and short sides, the grain doesn't run parallel, but it still looks good enough.
So, now my interior is pretty much completed (except for the head problem). The wood is all refinished, cushions cleaned, new table installed, and it's looking good. Eventually I'll fix/replace the head, fix/replace some of the interior lights, and replace the hoses to the fresh water tank. Here's how the interior is looking now:
DSCN1582

That's about it for now. Hopefully I'll set sail next weekend!
Comments
Vessel Name: Sapphire Breeze
Vessel Make/Model: 1982 Catalina 25 SK/SR
Hailing Port: Mayo, MD
Crew: Justin
Extra: This site is all about my experiences with my first boat; from restoring it, to my sailing adventures. I enjoy hearing from my readers, so feel free to send me an email. I'm also interested in meeting new people in the area, especially people in my age range since I hardly know any that sail.

Who: Justin
Port: Mayo, MD