First day of great sailing!
04/15/2006, Chesapeake Bay

Today I intended on primarily sailing, not working on the boat. Dave joined me as crew and helped me out. Dave noticed that we set up my jib on the furler incorrectly and we removed it and put back on correctly. We initially had the incorrect end of the halyard attached to the head of the sail. Now the sail is a few inches higher off the deck giving a better view from the cockpit. Thanks Dave for figuring that out and the help! We had a great day on the water, set sail around noon and came back around 5pm. For a good amount of time we were sailing 5-6 knots, our top speed was around 6.25 knots! That's about hull speed and can't get much faster than that. We sailed north towards the Thomas Point light house and sailed about 30 minutes past it. We had some steady winds the entire way north, but then it died down for about 20-30 minutes when we decided to head back to port. We started up the Honda and motored for during that time. The wind soon picked up again and we were back to some more adventurous sailing. There were some strong gusts and sometimes we furled the head sail to a smaller size. Even with my genoa 135% furled to around 100-110% we were easily hitting 5 knots. We were heeling the boat with the port rail probably about 6-12" from the water. Hard to tell exactly, but if you were on that side of the boat, you would easily be able to touch the water and would get wet with the waves. I have to get used to the way my boat handles and what her limits are. She feels pretty stable, but I have to get used to the heeling. It's a little daunting at first, but as you get used to it, it sure is a lot of fun. The weather was beautiful, around 80F, and partly sunny. They forecasted a 30% chance of isolated thunder storms which we did not encounter. We did have a little rain even though we would look up and see blue sky, sun, and only a few clouds. It made for a great day of sailing on the bay.
Here are some pictures:
Thomas Point Light House

Heeling on a starboard tack.

It was a great time out on the water. I can't wait until next weekend!

| | More
Installed table and a few other things
04/09/2006, Edgewater, MD

I got a few things done out on the boat today. I did some more tests with my outboard to figure out if it is connected properly since the starter still does not work. It is in fact connected properly and I was able to test the voltage on the power lead a few feet from the outboard. I measured over 12 volts and let it run for 15 minutes and the alternator charged the battery to over 13 volts, so now I know that works. The fuse is good on the outboard, so I need to figure out why the starter still isn't working. Dave and I are going to look into it some more probably this coming weekend.

I cut the transom plastic trim piece to fit and installed it so it no longer has the unattractive deck/hull seam showing. I took a look at the head and I will need to eventually repair it or install a new head. The pump does not work at all. That will not be a fun project. I talked to a rep at West Marine for recommendations and I will really need to prepare for it, be ready for sewage.

I mounted my Polk speakers which you can see in the below photos. Soon I will install the head unit and be able to have some music out on the boat.

I finished and installed my new dinette table. I applied a total of 5 coats of polyurethane.
Here is my final product:

Here is a close up of the edging:

I reused the original hardware, but scrubbed it with a wire brush. The leg was very corroded but I was able to bring it back to looking almost new except one side. The side that faced out into the cabin was corroded, but I drilled out the rivets on the mount, drilled new holes, and reversed it so the corrosion does not show.
I originally was looking into getting some teak edging to use around the edge of the table to match the interior. When I priced it all out from a few sources, prices were always around $120 for the teak alone. That was a lot more than I hoped to spend and I wasn't sure how I was going to finish the edge. It wasn't until I went to Home Depot to pick up the wood that I found they made matching edging for the plywood. As you can see in the photo above, along the long sides, the wood appears to be solid oak; the veneer blends right in. Of course around the curve and short sides, the grain doesn't run parallel, but it still looks good enough.
So, now my interior is pretty much completed (except for the head problem). The wood is all refinished, cushions cleaned, new table installed, and it's looking good. Eventually I'll fix/replace the head, fix/replace some of the interior lights, and replace the hoses to the fresh water tank. Here's how the interior is looking now:

That's about it for now. Hopefully I'll set sail next weekend!

| | More
Sailed across the Chesapeake Bay
04/02/2006, St. Michaels to Edgewater

I finally sailed across the bay. Many thanks to Dave for all the help yesterday! It was a beautiful day out on the Chesapeake, 60-70F, sunny and clear blue skies. The only thing missing was some more wind. My brothers Chris and Brian playing with the camera:

Here we are departing my old port:

We unfurled the genoa several times, but we rarely got over 3 knots under wind alone. It was just so calm out. We motored probably about 70% of the trip. For a time when we had the wind coming directly from the stern, we put my spinnaker pole to use and used it to hold out the headsail as we went wing on wing.

I tried to get a different view of my boat and the water in this shot:

Here's a photo from laying down on the bow and looking at the beautiful sky and sails. That's my new Cruising Direct (North Sails) 135% genoa.

Here is our course plotted on a chart from using Dave's GPS. I think it was around 27-30 nautical miles, I forgot the exact number.

Since my younger brother Chris who was being our shuttle decided to drive all the way to Ocean City, MD, we beat him to the other side of the bay. Since we had some time to kill, we sailed down the West River to explore and then headed to my new marina off Cadle Creek. It was a total of 6.5 hours of motoring/sailing. Before we left, I filled up my fuel tanks (6 gal and 3.5 gal) and I was surprised that I used probably only about 2 gallons. The Honda 4 stroke 15hp outboard worked great during the trip. It doesn't take much throttle to get up to 5 knots, pretty much just turned to the "start" setting of the throttle. I still need to look into the wiring because the electric starter didn't work, but I think it wasn't connected to the good battery. I plan to look into it this weekend.

Here is a photo of one of the lights on the bay near Bloody Point. That sure is a lot of bird crap on that structure!

Brian on the cabin top and Dave at the helm.

Brian at the helm for the first time!

Of course, I need to have a photo of myself at the helm!

I can't wait until this coming weekend to go out on my boat again.

| | More

Newer ]  |  [ Older ]


Who: Justin
Port: Mayo, MD
View Complete Profile »