18 April 2011 | Alexandria, VA
11 May 2010
31 July 2009
26 April 2009
24 January 2009 | Cadle Creek
27 December 2008 | Chesapeake Bay
09 November 2008
13 October 2008
30 September 2008
13 July 2008 | Warehouse Creek
30 May 2008 | St. Mary's River
26 May 2008 | Rhode River & Chesapeake Bay
24 May 2008 | Chesapeake Bay
04 May 2008 | Chesapeake Bay
29 April 2008

2006 Volvo Ocean Race!

07 May 2006 | Chesapeake Bay
My family and I had an awesome day out on the bay today. It was the first time I had taken out my parents and brothers and we were able to see the Volvo Ocean Race up close and I mean very up close! The race started at 1pm near Thomas Point light house, headed north to the bay bridge, then turned south to exit the bay. We were running behind getting out to the water, so I was worried we wouldn't make it in time. So, instead of joining the hundreds of boats up in the spectator zone, I decided to head south of it and hope to be nearby when they sailed south. What perfect timing I made. I sailed/motored to the western side of the bay and not long after, the race and hundreds of spectators were coming down on us. I thought I went too far west, but nope, they were coming right by us. There was a lot of chop which made quite a rough ride but I was able to get a better feel for my boat. My youngest brother Andy loved the waves and said it was like being on a roller coaster. Brian didn't enjoy it as much and got a little sick. It can be fun at first, but when there is no end to the waves, it becomes not so fun. Making our way through all the traffic was also a little hectic, but we had a great time.
Here are some photos:

My younger brothers Chris and Andy on the deck as we're heading out the river:
PICT0327

Me, my brothers Gabe, Brian, my mom and Gabe's friend Amanda.
PICT0328

Now the racing yachts:
PICT0342

PICT0346

That is a huge spinnaker!
PICT0345

There were hundreds if not thousands of boats out there:
DSCN1719

PICT0351

PICT0352

PICT0344


This is shows my older brother Gabe, his friend Amanda, my parents, and me at the tiller navigating through the traffic while trying to take a few pictures. I put the camera away shortly after because of the traffic and Chris took lots of photos. It doesn't show my three younger brothers also out on the deck. Yeah, I had a boat load of people today. I love the expression on my mom's face.
PICT0338

You can find more pictures at my VOR 2006 Gallery
http://sports.webshots.com/album/559429116qSUpID?vhost=sports. Thanks to my younger brother Chris for taking a lot of great photos!

Sailing, seeing the race, being with my family, and the great weather made an excellent birthday! I'm looking forward to next weekend for some more fun!
Comments
Vessel Name: Sapphire Breeze
Vessel Make/Model: 1982 Catalina 25 SK/SR
Hailing Port: Mayo, MD
Crew: Justin
Extra: This site is all about my experiences with my first boat; from restoring it, to my sailing adventures. I enjoy hearing from my readers, so feel free to send me an email. I'm also interested in meeting new people in the area, especially people in my age range since I hardly know any that sail.

Who: Justin
Port: Mayo, MD