18 April 2011 | Alexandria, VA
11 May 2010
31 July 2009
26 April 2009
24 January 2009 | Cadle Creek
27 December 2008 | Chesapeake Bay
09 November 2008
13 October 2008
30 September 2008
13 July 2008 | Warehouse Creek
30 May 2008 | St. Mary's River
26 May 2008 | Rhode River & Chesapeake Bay
24 May 2008 | Chesapeake Bay
04 May 2008 | Chesapeake Bay
29 April 2008

Flying Knot Sailing

15 October 2006 | Leesburg, VA
60F Sunny
Well, today I did not go sailing, but I went flying! Hmm... I just thought of the name Knot Flying, I kind of like that. So yesterday I took my friend Justin out sailing, today he took me flying. He recently got his private license and the airport is right down the road from my place. My community is right at one end of the airfield so I get to see the planes come and go all the time.

We met up at the airport at noon and we had to wait for the plane to arrive. It was a Cessna 172SP if I recall. Here it is:
P1000490

I was all excited to fly. I had been on small planes like this twice before and loved it, plus when I was younger I was a real avid radio control electric model plane builder and flier. I still have my planes, but my sailing takes up much of my free time. Well, we took off and everything was going great. I might upload the take off video I took and update this. The flight plan was to fly north over my family's house, take pictures, then fly south to Charlottesville, take some pictures of Justin's grandparents' house, land, then take off and head back to Leesburg. Well, shortly after getting pictures of my parents' place, I was starting to not feel too good. Sure enough I got a little sick and we cut the flight short. I felt bad for returning early and was looking forward to this flight. Afterwards I realized that this probably happened because I went to Allison's fundraising party in DC the previous night. I didn't have much of any hangover, but with my head feeling slightly off, not getting much sleep, and then add in all the random bumps in the air, it did not mix well. Next time we fly I will make sure I don't go to a party the night before! We also assumed since I sail, I wouldn't have any problem getting sick.

When I talked with my older brother Gabe on the phone tonight, he had the idea of flying to Maryland near my boat then go sailing. I may look into that and see if the airport has a loaner car because there is a small airport not too far from where I sail. That could be a fun day and it would cut the commute to my boat a lot shorter.

Here are some photos. This is the Potomac along Leesburg:
P1000474
P1000475

These two are from flying Southwest of Leesburg:
P1000485
P1000489
P1000488
Comments
Vessel Name: Sapphire Breeze
Vessel Make/Model: 1982 Catalina 25 SK/SR
Hailing Port: Mayo, MD
Crew: Justin
Extra: This site is all about my experiences with my first boat; from restoring it, to my sailing adventures. I enjoy hearing from my readers, so feel free to send me an email. I'm also interested in meeting new people in the area, especially people in my age range since I hardly know any that sail.

Who: Justin
Port: Mayo, MD