18 April 2011 | Alexandria, VA
11 May 2010
31 July 2009
26 April 2009
24 January 2009 | Cadle Creek
27 December 2008 | Chesapeake Bay
09 November 2008
13 October 2008
30 September 2008
13 July 2008 | Warehouse Creek
30 May 2008 | St. Mary's River
26 May 2008 | Rhode River & Chesapeake Bay
24 May 2008 | Chesapeake Bay
04 May 2008 | Chesapeake Bay
29 April 2008

Living aboard for the weekend

14 July 2007 | Rhode River and Chesapeake Bay
Now that I have completed so much work to my Catalina 25, I can now actually spend entire weekends out on the water. This was my first weekend doing just that. I thought I'd try bringing my cat Ginny out for the first time and see how she does on the water. I got out to the marina around 10am, loaded up the boat, and then motored down the river. I set the anchor in between the two main islands on the Rhode River so I could go kayak to them easily.

I spent my Saturday just relaxing out in the nice weather, reading a book, called up my brother Chris stationed out in Kansas and my older brother Gabe called from the Middle East. Ginny just stayed below in the cabin. I brought her out in the cockpit, but she immediately wanted to return below. I guess that's a good thing so I don't have to worry about her exploring on the deck and possibly falling overboard. Her favorite spot is the little shelf in the forward cabin. She would hide there and when sailing she is held in place and won't fall out when heeling over.
P1010270

She explored the boat, including exploring the nooks and crannies of the bilge when I left one compartment open. I should have taken a picture of her peeking out a small corner. Here she is just laying at the dinette:
P1010299

Dave came by and rafted up later in the afternoon. He finished a small project and I went and kayaked around to the islands. I took some photos of our Catalinas rafted up.
IMG_0312

IMG_0318

After kayaking, I jumped in the water for a bit, it was pretty comfortable. Dave and I hung out for a bit and then he returned home since he was bringing out Debbi the following morning.

Of course being on the water usually has some beautiful sunsets:
P1010282

Here is an interesting photo of all the anchor lights in the anchorage:
P1010295-1

Since my stereo isn't installed yet (future project), I got to enjoy the big powerboat neighbor playing their music. Lots of 80s hits, heard some Journey. They were a little loud, but I eventually got some sleep.

I woke up Sunday morning with the sun. When I'm out there, I don't pay too much attention to time. My only clock is my cell phone while out there. During the week I pay too much attention to time and always wear a watch. I woke up, had some breakfast, but then found two problems I needed to fix. There was a puddle at the base of the head. Gross! The hose connecting to the head was leaking! Urrggh... I cleaned and repaired that problem and haven't seen a drip since. The other issue is I have more water in my bilge that was not there the day before. I have been cautious since I put my boat back in the water and found the thru-hull leaking. Fortunately I determine this leak. My knot meter paddle wheel plug was very, very slowly letting water drip in. I took it out and put the blank spacer plug in and noted that it did not leak at all. I only insert the paddle wheel plug while I am on the boat and it wasn't much so I'm not that worried. Maybe some new O-rings will create a better seal.

After that work, I went out for some kayaking. I explored around both islands. I took this shot while paddling around one island; it actually has a nice sandy beach.
IMG_0348

IMG_0330

I got back to my sailboat and found I missed Dave's call. He and Debbi were on their way out for some sailing. I stowed everything and weighed anchor. I got out on the bay shortly and enjoyed some excellent sailing. I met up with Dave and Debbi out there and they took some nice photos of me sailing:
IMG_0529

IMG_0531

IMG_0534

Here was my course I sailed:
chart 7-15-07
Comments
Vessel Name: Sapphire Breeze
Vessel Make/Model: 1982 Catalina 25 SK/SR
Hailing Port: Mayo, MD
Crew: Justin
Extra: This site is all about my experiences with my first boat; from restoring it, to my sailing adventures. I enjoy hearing from my readers, so feel free to send me an email. I'm also interested in meeting new people in the area, especially people in my age range since I hardly know any that sail.

Who: Justin
Port: Mayo, MD