18 April 2011 | Alexandria, VA
11 May 2010
31 July 2009
26 April 2009
24 January 2009 | Cadle Creek
27 December 2008 | Chesapeake Bay
09 November 2008
13 October 2008
30 September 2008
13 July 2008 | Warehouse Creek
30 May 2008 | St. Mary's River
26 May 2008 | Rhode River & Chesapeake Bay
24 May 2008 | Chesapeake Bay
04 May 2008 | Chesapeake Bay
29 April 2008

Taking Gwen and Lucie out

04 August 2007 | Chesapeake Bay
Light winds, hot 90s, and hazy.
Today I took out my friend Gwen and her sister Lucie. The forecast was light winds and temperatures in the 90s. August isn't the greatest for sailing, usually the hottest and calmest time of year. We set sail around 12:30 and there was a slight breeze at my marina, which meant there must be some wind on the bay. I raised my main sail as we motored straight into the wind out of the Rhode River, then cut the engine and started sailing out the West River into the Chesapeake. The winds were light, but enough to get up to 3-4 knots as we tacked our way out the channel. Once on the bay we turned south and sailed along the other side of the shoal. It was a real leisurely sail, winds dying down and we were probably averaging 2-3 knots. I think it was around 3:30 that the wind almost completely died and we weren't moving much. I turned us around, started the outboard, and motor sailed our way back. Despite being 90+ degrees out and very hot and hazy, it wasn't too bad as long as there was a slight breeze and you stay in the shade under the bimini.

Here are several photos from the sail:

Gwen, Lucie, and I:
P1010332-1

I'm just lying back on this relaxing sail:
June 29 - August 20 - Lucie in the US - 149

Gwen and Lucie relaxing up on the bow:
P1010330-1
As I was attempting to take this photo, we hit some submerged object. We were motor sailing just outside the end of the shoal, further out than when we sail past earlier. The depth meter was around 8-9 feet and there was nothing on my chart plotter showing as a wreck. I was going 5 knots, when suddenly we almost came to stop abrubtly and the keel hit three bumps. It was a little alarming, especially when usually it is soft mud that is hit. I immediately cut the throttle and shifted into neutral. We were floating free and not aground. I inspected my forward bilge where the keel trunk is and did not see any obvious crack, which I highly doubted I would have. When lowering the keel, after the cable goes slack, I always put a little tension back on. This way it will dissipate the shock load between the keel cable and the trunk in a situation as I just encountered. It was a little alarming at first, but everything should be fine. I marked on my GPS where that object is to make sure I avoid it in the future.

Lucie is navigating down the river:
P1010333-1

Here was our course plotted by my GPS:
chart 8-4-07


Comments
Vessel Name: Sapphire Breeze
Vessel Make/Model: 1982 Catalina 25 SK/SR
Hailing Port: Mayo, MD
Crew: Justin
Extra: This site is all about my experiences with my first boat; from restoring it, to my sailing adventures. I enjoy hearing from my readers, so feel free to send me an email. I'm also interested in meeting new people in the area, especially people in my age range since I hardly know any that sail.

Who: Justin
Port: Mayo, MD