Westsail 32: Kabuki

Getting Ready for our first voyage together.

10 September 2009
07 September 2009
03 September 2009 | Norsand
01 September 2009
27 August 2009
25 August 2009
20 August 2009
18 August 2009
13 August 2009
10 August 2009
05 August 2009 | Whangarei
29 July 2009
18 July 2009 | Home
14 July 2009 | Whangarei
06 July 2009
26 June 2009 | Capitaine Bougainville Theatre
24 June 2009 | Whangarei Library
21 June 2009 | Town Basin

New Blog

10 September 2009
Well I have started a new blog, I will keep this one open for now. The link to my new blog is in the links bar on the side.
My new blog is Westsailing Bum blog I will be using this while we are away on our 6 month cruise. So check it out to find out what we are up to.

Cheers Wendy

What a weekend

07 September 2009
We managed to get a little bit done on the boat over the weekend. Paul took the anchor windlass ( winch) off for an overhaul. We checked out the cockpit bilge pump, we may need to do an overhaul of that. We adjusted the forestay and staysail stay, as well as cleaned up the furlers. I whipped the ends of the halyards. And we experimented with removing and reconditioning our scupper drains.
I have a day off tomorrow, so will go down to the boat and start a good clean up etc. I can't wait till we move on, it will be a step towards freedom. Paul and I have never been on our own, We have always had children to look after (blended family). It will be like we are just starting out as a couple, we have both been waiting for this forever it seems.
Another photo is attached with a view of Kabuki on her cradle looking down the slipway.

Kabuki on the hard

03 September 2009 | Norsand
aaaaahhhhhhhh
As is typical for us on Kabuki, the weather turns to shite as soon as you even think about doing anything. Paul and I had organised for Kabuki to be hauled out at Norsand on Friday morning at 7am. We were going to spend a lovely evening anchored in the upper reaches of the harbour, then wake up early and motor over to Norsand for the haul out (all very relaxing).
Unfortunately the weather decided to rear its ugly head. With a forecast of 35 knot South Easterlies on Friday morning, straight into the haul-out yard, we decided to haul-out on Thursday night at 5pm.
The haul-out was a very smooth non-stressful affair. Kevin and Keith down at Norsand really know there stuff. Paul did a brilliant job of getting Kabuki up to the small piles/jetty that they have. Then Kevin took over, He is a very reassuring person, who explained everything that was to happen and made the whole process painless. We have hauled out on a cradle before with another boat, but it was a long time ago. Kabuki handled the process wonderfully, and she looked damned good sitting on the cradle at the top of the slip.
Her bottom was reasonably clean, and will be easy to anti-foul as we did a complete strip back of paint last year. This morning Paul and I wet sanded the bottom, it was really quite cold and windy. I was quite pleased to come home and get dry clothes on.The anode on our prop has been a bit of a worry as they were being eaten really quickly. Paul has been hanging an extra anode over the side for protection.
So now the work begins, hopefully the weather will play the game, and everything will go smoothly.......Yeah right.
Vessel Name: Kabuki
Vessel Make/Model: Westsail 32 #425
Hailing Port: Whangarei, New Zealand
Crew: Paul Bowling and Wendy Smith
About:
Paul and I have been sailing around Whangarei and the Bay of Islands for the last 14 years. We have owned a few boats in that time, ranging from a 20ft Trailer Sailer to a 36ft New Zealand built Eric Cox design yacht. [...]
Extra: Thought this would be a good way of keeping family and friends up to speed with our progress on getting Kabuki and ourselves ready for the big adventure.

Kabuki

Who: Paul Bowling and Wendy Smith
Port: Whangarei, New Zealand