Westsail 32: Kabuki

Getting Ready for our first voyage together.

10 September 2009
07 September 2009
03 September 2009 | Norsand
01 September 2009
27 August 2009
25 August 2009
20 August 2009
18 August 2009
13 August 2009
10 August 2009
05 August 2009 | Whangarei
29 July 2009
18 July 2009 | Home
14 July 2009 | Whangarei
06 July 2009
26 June 2009 | Capitaine Bougainville Theatre
24 June 2009 | Whangarei Library
21 June 2009 | Town Basin

galvanising

18 August 2009
Paul and I are getting organised to haul Kabuki out on the 5th of September. We are hoping to install an Inverter ( a device that converts 12 volt battery power to 240 volt) for using the laptop and any other electrical devices we require. Also the engine needs a service, Paul will be dealing to the scuppers (these are drains on the side of the boat, that drain the deck).
We also have to do the usual anti-foul ( paint the bottom of the boat with special paint that stops marine growth) and clean up of the boat. We need to get our anchor chain ( all 300ft of it) re-galvanised, this can only be done in Auckland...........OH JOY.... We will have to take time off work to take the chain down, and then again to go and pick it up. The joys of living away from a major metropolis, but then I am sooooooooo glad that I don't live there.
So, we are starting to sort our stuff out for the move onto Kabuki. I sometimes wonder if we have enough time to do it. We are not packing up our house completely, as our Son will be living here. But we need to pack away delicate stuff, and things He doesn't need to have around. Our house is only a 2 bedroom unit, so there is not alot of place to store stuff. But we will find a way...
Sometimes I don't think I can wait another 2 & a bit months before we leave. I have the urge to just jump on Kabuki and make our escape NOW.
But then the ever practical side rears its ugly head, and I think about what needs to be done, commitments that need to be met. This I suppose is all part of the build up to the adventure... anticipation, worry, dread, loss, joy.

We are such complex creatures.
Comments
Vessel Name: Kabuki
Vessel Make/Model: Westsail 32 #425
Hailing Port: Whangarei, New Zealand
Crew: Paul Bowling and Wendy Smith
About:
Paul and I have been sailing around Whangarei and the Bay of Islands for the last 14 years. We have owned a few boats in that time, ranging from a 20ft Trailer Sailer to a 36ft New Zealand built Eric Cox design yacht. [...]
Extra: Thought this would be a good way of keeping family and friends up to speed with our progress on getting Kabuki and ourselves ready for the big adventure.

Kabuki

Who: Paul Bowling and Wendy Smith
Port: Whangarei, New Zealand