Kaimusailing

s/v Kaimu Wharram Catamaran

Vessel Name: Kaimu
Vessel Make/Model: Wharram Custom
Hailing Port: Norwalk, CT
Crew: Andy and the Kaimu Crew
About: Sailors in the Baltimore, Annapolis, DC area.
17 April 2024 | St Marys, GA
07 April 2024 | St. Marys, GA
02 April 2024 | St. Marys, GA
21 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA
01 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA
23 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
15 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
11 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
06 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
26 January 2024 | St. Marys, GA
14 January 2024 | St. Marys, GA
09 January 2024 | St Marys, GA
23 December 2023 | St Marys, GA
10 December 2023 | St Marys, GA
25 November 2023 | St. Marys, GA
17 November 2023 | St. Marys, GA
17 November 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
03 November 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
26 October 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
17 October 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
Recent Blog Posts
17 April 2024 | St Marys, GA

Dinghy Skeg

I was suffering with what seemed like a cold and also had allergy symptoms. I awoke and felt fine. The green pollen that was coating everything was gone. Maybe it will return.

07 April 2024 | St. Marys, GA

Clammy Hands

Items came in from TEMU, the Chinese cut rate retailer. One was a nice little drone that cost about twelve and a half dollars. It looked like an easy thing to play with while I coughed and sneezed. I was fighting a summer cold, even though it is not summer elsewhere, it seems like it here. A nice [...]

02 April 2024 | St. Marys, GA

Sun Doggie

After laminating the cedar strips onto the gunwales of the dinghy I found the screws I used wouldn’t come out. The epoxy had seized them. The screw heads were stripped so I cut a straight slot in the heads with the cut off wheel. The cedar smoked when the screw heads got red hot. I could remove [...]

21 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA

Just Add Water

The rainy weekend started off with overcast and fog but no rain. It looked like I might be able to get something done on the D4 dinghy. I wanted to change the bow seat which is really the bow deck. The sailing option uses the deck to hold the freestanding mast. I didn’t like how the deck looked, [...]

01 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA

D4 Dinghy Alternative Seats

The rain event was more wind than rain, strong winds with gusts up to 44 mph. We drove into town to see what the harbor was like. There was a small sailboat that had dragged anchor and was sitting close to shore. The tide was out. We left and played with Bleu at Notter’s Pond.

23 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA

D4 Inside Seams

Day two of the dinghy build started out with me finishing wiring the hull bottoms together on the centerline of the bottom panels. This was much easier than the wiring of the chine edges of the bottom panels and the side panels.

A Dorade Event

26 July 2013 | Bodkin Inlet/Chesapeake Bay
Capn Andy/perfect weather
The internet is a great tool for finding obscure sailing information. I've been able to acquire out of print books from the golden age of sailing, the time between the world wars. That was when Joshua Slocum's exploits were about 20 years old and a new generation of sailors ventured out to create a new kind of adventure, small boat voyaging. The sailors who wrote about their adventures became heroes while many others went about their business with no fanfare. One larger than life character was William Albert Robinson, who doesn't even have a wikipedia page. Although he wrote several books on his sailing adventures and others wrote about him in magazine articles, he is largely forgotten these days.
.
Robinson had a shipyard and built vessels for the navy during WWII. He also produced sailing yachts and one in particular, Varua. Varua was about 70 feet long with a hull designed by Starling Burgess, one of the greatest yacht designers who ever lived. He had also designed a gaff ketch rig for it, but Herreshoff designed a brigantine rig for it. The hull was tank tested at Stephens Institute and perfected for handling storm seas. In Robinson's books are accounts of how successful this hull design was. Some called it the most beautiful sailing yacht ever created. I am happy to have three of Robinson's books on the way, to read when not wrestling with epoxy.
.
I ran out of colloidal silica, my favorite epoxy additive, so I had a day off from the beam job. It was a good excuse to take the Hobie cat out on the bay, but I had torn the sail with a piece of lumber with a sharp scarf bevel. If I could repair the sail quickly, I could go sailing. I didn't have a sewing machine handy and my alternate method of using a urethane adhesive to bond sailcloth would take too long to cure, plus I didn't have the particular adhesive on hand. Then I remembered a product called “Heat and Bond”, which is an adhesive familiar to us as the active ingredient of iron on patches. It is a paper tape with a layer of the adhesive bonded to the paper. The cloth patch is placed under the tape which is paper side up and it is lightly ironed with a dry iron set to “wool”. When the edges of the patch have had the adhesive ironed on, the paper is removed and the patch is placed over the repair and ironed on just like any other iron on patch. In this case I had a tear about 7 inches long and ironed on patches to both sides of the sail. It was ready to go sailing as soon as it cooled, only a few moments. It was small craft warning weather and a good test of the patch. It held together well. This might be a useful technique for repair of a sail at sea, as long as it is dry. It is quick and easy and strong.
.
The picture is from the internet and it is the yacht Varua. Once the most wonderful yacht, now apparently languishing in storage in Anacortes, Washington. It is like old architecture, old cars, and most other old things. Nostalgia and respect for tradition fuel an interest, but we must admit that modern design has surpassed these old things. The new cars are way better than the old, old houses have old paint and old problems, old sailboats do not work as well as modern. Sailing records are broken continually as new designs surpass what had been the cutting edge not that long ago.
.
An old yacht has just won the Transpacific Race from California to Hawaii. The name of the yacht is Dorade, and you might know it from the dorade vents that were invented for this yacht. The designer was Olin Stephens and it was his first boat. He later became a principal in Sparkman & Stephens, the renowned designers of great America's Cup yachts, and many other great yachts. Stephens was 21 when he designed this boat. It did not win this year's Transpac competing against fluff, it defeated Pyewacket, a 70 foot carbon fiber state of the art design. Some old things really are timeless and unsurpassed.
.
Comments

About & Links

SailBlogs Groups