Kaimusailing

s/v Kaimu Wharram Catamaran

Vessel Name: Kaimu
Vessel Make/Model: Wharram Custom
Hailing Port: Norwalk, CT
Crew: Andy and the Kaimu Crew
About: Sailors in the Baltimore, Annapolis, DC area.
19 June 2017 | st marys, ga
10 June 2017 | st marys, ga
08 June 2017 | st marys, ga
06 June 2017 | st marys, ga
03 June 2017 | st marys, ga
30 May 2017 | st marys, ga
27 May 2017 | st marys, ga
25 May 2017 | st marys, ga
17 May 2017 | st marys, ga
15 May 2017 | st marys, ga
15 May 2017 | st marys, ga
13 May 2017 | st marys, ga
13 May 2017 | st marys, ga
13 May 2017 | st marys, ga
07 May 2017 | St. Marys, GA
07 May 2017 | St. Marys, GA
27 April 2017 | St. Marys, GA
26 April 2017 | St. Marys, GA
24 April 2017 | St. Marys, GA
24 April 2017 | St. Marys, GA
Recent Blog Posts
19 June 2017 | st marys, ga

Pure Sine Wave

I missed out on the final race of the Louis Vuitton competition and it was the Kiwi’s who seemed to have come up with the boat speed to finish off the Swede’s who had looked so fast. The Swede’s had been the only team to dominate Oracle in the round robin series. The talk is that Iain Percy will [...]

10 June 2017 | st marys, ga

Carb Die It

The big day of Louis Vuitton racing arrived with both pairs of semifinal competitors at 3-1 and three races scheduled for each pair. It was possible for both semifinal races to be decided today.

08 June 2017 | st marys, ga

June Bridles

It rained and rained, a steady train of thunderstorms came up from the Gulf, across Florida, and dumped rain and an F1 tornado. There were intervals between the storms when it was possible to poke your head out and do something, then downpours. The starboard upper shroud was relashed, so now all of [...]

06 June 2017 | st marys, ga

Bermuda Boneyard

I always take it that maybe I’m depressed when I stop cooking or photography. There is also the possibility of manic behavior in the kitchen or behind the camera. When I start picking images off the internet or saatchiart.com, which is also on the internet, and do not capture my own images, or when [...]

03 June 2017 | st marys, ga

Skeeter Pyro

It may seem that we are sitting around watching America's Cup boats sailing and not getting anything else done. That is only partially true. The heat wave makes working in the afternoon very difficult, so it is a good time to take a siesta, but on America's Cup sailing days the racing comes on in early [...]

30 May 2017 | st marys, ga

Heartbreak Outteridge

The weather phenomenon was peculiar. We had had a cool front come through with lots of rain and the ambient temperatures were lower with a breeze that helped even more. Then we had the coldest air over us and no wind. The sky was completely clear with no clouds at all. It was chilly. I went about [...]

Into the Frying Pan

24 November 2015 | Georgetown, SC
Capn Andy/Cold and Clear
Like the last attempt at Frying Pan Shoals, this will be in several parts.
.
First the disclaimer, two very experienced captains strongly advised me not to go around Frying Pan Shoals. It is a long distance around and no nearby havens if you get into trouble. It is about 90 miles to the point where you can turn west or southwest and then about 50 miles to Little River inlet, which was one of my destinations.
.
The plan was to sail to the end of the shoal, then decide where to go next. I got up early, unintentionally, at around 4 AM, and didn't want to go on deck to finish preparations, it was too cold. I made coffee and breakfast and warmed the cabin with the space heater.
.
It began to get light outside, so I went on deck and brought the dinghy aboard, organized some lines, and decided to get underway. It was now just after sunrise, the engine was started and warmed up, and the anchor was brought up short, then broken free, and then we were on our way, going out on the ebbing tide. Some fishing boats were leaving also, but we were the last boat out the channel that morning.
.
The forecast was for Northwest 15 – 20, but it was actually NE 10. Under main and genoa we were making 6-7 knots heading directly for the end of the shoal. It would be about 15 hours at this rate. Although the sailomat was broken, Kaimu could self steer on certain headings, and this was one of them. We were close reaching, the wind was ENE and our course was SSW.
.
The wind wasn't cooperating. The forecast was already wrong, now they updated it later in the day and it was NE 10-15 going E and light. Then it was forecast overnight to go SE, S, and SW, oh by the way, Gale Warning. Sunday was supposed to go North at up to 40 knots.
.
This was the same problem as last time. You plan your sailing according to the forecast and it is a sensible plan. Then the forecast changes completely and your plan becomes no plan at all, it becomes a reaction to unplanned events.
.
Now with the wind dying a bit and Kaimu slowing, it became a nail biting affair, would we make it around the shoal before the gale hit. The projected time to actually clear the shoal to the turning point kept getting pushed further and further away. I kept listening to NOAA's weather prediction until the VHF could no longer pick it up.
.
In spite of my apprehension, the sailing so far had been enjoyable. I was able to leave the helm to make meals and there was little physical demand, so the overnight sailing was a piece of cake.
.
Clouds were coming in and there was an almost full moon to light the way. It began to get overcast. There were ominous clouds but no rain, yet.
.
We had about 2 miles to go to our turning point when everything changed abruptly. There was lightning all around and very dark clouds coming by. All of a sudden rain and a microburst wind hit us, maybe it was 50 miles an hour. It wasn't as bad as the microburst that hit me off Jupiter, Florida years ago, but the sea state was rougher now. The dinghy was blown right off the deck and I hoped its tether would hold. We were getting hit by this microburst from the South and it could drive us back onto the shoal.
.
All the lines and sheets were dancing a lively jig as if they were now voodoo dancing, angy, wrapping around anything, slapping me in the head, forming knots instantly around any protruding object, even each other. I had to shorten sail immediately. It was raining. The main came down right away. The roller furler began furling the genoa, but something wasn't right. It would stick and refuse to furl. I looked up to see if anything got caught in the sail or furler up above, unrolled the sail a bit, then continued to furl it. I did get it furled, but I decided I wouldn't use the genoa again until I could take a look at the furler. Something was wrong there.
.
The staysail was our only sail and the question was would we need to reef it down to 175 sq ft or could we handle it at 300 sq ft. The other question was could we make it past the last part of the reef. I started the engine and powered our way to cover those last two miles.
.
Here is the SPOT track of the entire trip from Beaufort to Georgetown. Why we went there is a whole other story.
Comments
Gallery Error: Unknown Album [1:]:6137
Kaimu's Photos -

About & Links

SailBlogs Groups