Kaimusailing

s/v Kaimu Wharram Catamaran

Vessel Name: Kaimu
Vessel Make/Model: Wharram Custom
Hailing Port: Norwalk, CT
Crew: Andy and the Kaimu Crew
About: Sailors in the Baltimore, Annapolis, DC area.
17 April 2024 | St Marys, GA
07 April 2024 | St. Marys, GA
02 April 2024 | St. Marys, GA
21 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA
01 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA
23 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
15 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
11 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
06 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
26 January 2024 | St. Marys, GA
14 January 2024 | St. Marys, GA
09 January 2024 | St Marys, GA
23 December 2023 | St Marys, GA
10 December 2023 | St Marys, GA
25 November 2023 | St. Marys, GA
17 November 2023 | St. Marys, GA
17 November 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
03 November 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
26 October 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
17 October 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
Recent Blog Posts
17 April 2024 | St Marys, GA

Dinghy Skeg

I was suffering with what seemed like a cold and also had allergy symptoms. I awoke and felt fine. The green pollen that was coating everything was gone. Maybe it will return.

07 April 2024 | St. Marys, GA

Clammy Hands

Items came in from TEMU, the Chinese cut rate retailer. One was a nice little drone that cost about twelve and a half dollars. It looked like an easy thing to play with while I coughed and sneezed. I was fighting a summer cold, even though it is not summer elsewhere, it seems like it here. A nice [...]

02 April 2024 | St. Marys, GA

Sun Doggie

After laminating the cedar strips onto the gunwales of the dinghy I found the screws I used wouldn’t come out. The epoxy had seized them. The screw heads were stripped so I cut a straight slot in the heads with the cut off wheel. The cedar smoked when the screw heads got red hot. I could remove [...]

21 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA

Just Add Water

The rainy weekend started off with overcast and fog but no rain. It looked like I might be able to get something done on the D4 dinghy. I wanted to change the bow seat which is really the bow deck. The sailing option uses the deck to hold the freestanding mast. I didn’t like how the deck looked, [...]

01 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA

D4 Dinghy Alternative Seats

The rain event was more wind than rain, strong winds with gusts up to 44 mph. We drove into town to see what the harbor was like. There was a small sailboat that had dragged anchor and was sitting close to shore. The tide was out. We left and played with Bleu at Notter’s Pond.

23 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA

D4 Inside Seams

Day two of the dinghy build started out with me finishing wiring the hull bottoms together on the centerline of the bottom panels. This was much easier than the wiring of the chine edges of the bottom panels and the side panels.

G'town to Fernandina Beach

08 December 2015 | Fernandina Beach, FL
Capn Andy/mild
Getting underway for Fernandina Beach had a couple of hiccups. After a day of running around provisioning and getting the boat ready I was looking forward for early rest so that we could start first thing to catch the outgoing tide. At about 11:30 PM the anchor windlass suddenly began pulling in the anchor at full speed, all by itself. It woke me and I ran on deck in my NY Jets paraphernalia pajamas. I ran to the pilothouse to try the down switch to stop it and it stopped. Unbeknownst to me it had stopped because the anchor had come up to its stop and the stalled windlass tripped its breaker. Meanwhile, the force of pulling on the anchor rode so strongly and quickly pulled the boat forward, heading toward the nature park island and its muddy banks. I threw over the lunch hook, snubbed it, and we were again anchored, but I was not feeling very secure with the little lunch hook holding us with a changing tide at about 4 AM. The lunch hook is a Danforth and they often lose their grip when the tide current changes.
.
The other anomaly was that the engine died after we did get underway, late due to oversleeping, but we had a light north breeze and main and staysail set to run down the bay. I wanted to run the engine to charge its battery after what the windlass had done, it uses the engine battery for its power. Normally the engine is running when doing anchor work, so the battery isn't drained.
.
The sail down the bay was aided by the outflowing tide, which we were catching just the last couple of hours. When we got to the lighthouse which was where Kaimu anchored when we arrived after the mad dash from Frying Pan Shoals, we were fighting the new incoming tide and standing still, even though the boat was traveling through the water at a good clip. We would sit there for a while, then a gust of wind would come through and we would move ahead, then sit for a while again.
.
After we passed that part of the channel, which seemed to have a stronger tide current than anywhere else, we now had to exit the bay between the breakwaters, which might force us too close to the wind. It was not so, we made it out and then bore off due South for a couple of hours to get some distance from the coast.
.
The forecast of 15-20 was more like 5-10. Our plan was for a 36 hour or less voyage and in light winds it would take longer. It was pleasant sailing with some strange high speed craft off toward shore, I wonder what they were. Also the shrimp boats that had left Georgetown earlier were working the coast almost out of sight of Kaimu.
.
As the sun went down we were approaching Charleston approaches and the wind was getting a bit stronger, more like the forecast. There was a lot of ship traffic and some terse words over the VHF between them. Little Kaimu had to divert to the west to avoid the ships coming out.
.
The rest of this passage will be in several parts, much like those previous. The picture is of the SPOT track of the voyage. Positions were sent approximately every two hours.
Comments

About & Links

SailBlogs Groups