Kaimusailing

s/v Kaimu Wharram Catamaran

Vessel Name: Kaimu
Vessel Make/Model: Wharram Custom
Hailing Port: Norwalk, CT
Crew: Andy and the Kaimu Crew
About: Sailors in the Baltimore, Annapolis, DC area.
17 April 2024 | St Marys, GA
07 April 2024 | St. Marys, GA
02 April 2024 | St. Marys, GA
21 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA
01 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA
23 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
15 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
11 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
06 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
26 January 2024 | St. Marys, GA
14 January 2024 | St. Marys, GA
09 January 2024 | St Marys, GA
23 December 2023 | St Marys, GA
10 December 2023 | St Marys, GA
25 November 2023 | St. Marys, GA
17 November 2023 | St. Marys, GA
17 November 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
03 November 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
26 October 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
17 October 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
Recent Blog Posts
17 April 2024 | St Marys, GA

Dinghy Skeg

I was suffering with what seemed like a cold and also had allergy symptoms. I awoke and felt fine. The green pollen that was coating everything was gone. Maybe it will return.

07 April 2024 | St. Marys, GA

Clammy Hands

Items came in from TEMU, the Chinese cut rate retailer. One was a nice little drone that cost about twelve and a half dollars. It looked like an easy thing to play with while I coughed and sneezed. I was fighting a summer cold, even though it is not summer elsewhere, it seems like it here. A nice [...]

02 April 2024 | St. Marys, GA

Sun Doggie

After laminating the cedar strips onto the gunwales of the dinghy I found the screws I used wouldn’t come out. The epoxy had seized them. The screw heads were stripped so I cut a straight slot in the heads with the cut off wheel. The cedar smoked when the screw heads got red hot. I could remove [...]

21 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA

Just Add Water

The rainy weekend started off with overcast and fog but no rain. It looked like I might be able to get something done on the D4 dinghy. I wanted to change the bow seat which is really the bow deck. The sailing option uses the deck to hold the freestanding mast. I didn’t like how the deck looked, [...]

01 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA

D4 Dinghy Alternative Seats

The rain event was more wind than rain, strong winds with gusts up to 44 mph. We drove into town to see what the harbor was like. There was a small sailboat that had dragged anchor and was sitting close to shore. The tide was out. We left and played with Bleu at Notter’s Pond.

23 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA

D4 Inside Seams

Day two of the dinghy build started out with me finishing wiring the hull bottoms together on the centerline of the bottom panels. This was much easier than the wiring of the chine edges of the bottom panels and the side panels.

Benched

21 December 2015 | St. Mary's, GA
Capn Andy/Warming
The boatyard is trying to increase its business by clearing more of the land, so they brought in a tree trunk shredder and removed a tree trunk right near Kaimu's port stern. This brought most of the boatyard crew over to Kaimu, including the manager's family. This is entertainment in the Georgia swamp.
.
We made a shopping trip to the lumber store where one of the part time boatyard workers was also a part time lumber salesman. He is very knowledgeable about wood species and characteristics. I was buying lumber to make a temporary workbench and the young Russian was buying a stout plank to back up the Sail-o-mat installation. The recommended plank was clear cedar.
.
Along with the Sail-o-mat, he had bought my old Yamaha 2HP outboard, which needed to be reconditioned. The carburettor was corroded, so he had to buy a rebuild kit. He asked for some money back from the deal and I refused, but I offered to buy him dinner if he could take us to the local Irish pub which is a sports bar, too. It ended up costing more than what he was asking, and we had a great time watching the NY Jets football team win over the Dallas Cowboys.
.
I was going to have a propane tank refilled, and asked around where it could be done. Not many places in St. Mary's sell propane. One of the crew lifted the tank and said it still had about a gallon of fuel left in it. I tried it out and was able to refill the small canisters that fuel the catalytic heater. I had thought it was empty because it didn't fire up the propane galley stove. Perhaps at that time the stove was suffering from corrosion, because now it worked fine. I reserved the nearly full tank that I had been using and began using the one I thought was empty. It might last another week.
.
The splash boards or drop boards for the galley and vanity hatches had been lost after the collision with the jetty. These are clear lexan, the topmost drop boards on both hatches. The lexan from the starboard rear storage compartment hatch was used to provide stock to make the drop boards, also enough left over to make a new port light to repair the starboard forward bunk port light that had been stove in by heavy seas. Twice. The port aft compartment will get the wooden hatch cover that is being used on the engine box and the engine box will get a new cover that is planned to function as a fish cleaning table as well.
.
The battery reconditioning in the galley continued and there is hope the batteries will be useable at least for lighting. The LED and CCF lights on the inboard side of the galley don't work, perhaps the lines that run over there were severed.
.
The work bench was put together using one sheet of underlayment plywood cut in half lengthwise. This gave a work surface 16 feet long and 2 feet wide. 2X3 stock was cut to make 32” legs with lath diagonal strengtheners. Leftover lath was used to make patterns for the skegs using a hot glue gun to stick the lath together.
.
The picture is of the work bench.
Comments

About & Links

SailBlogs Groups