Kaimusailing

s/v Kaimu Wharram Catamaran

Vessel Name: Kaimu
Vessel Make/Model: Wharram Custom
Hailing Port: Norwalk, CT
Crew: Andy and the Kaimu Crew
About: Sailors in the Baltimore, Annapolis, DC area.
07 April 2024 | St. Marys, GA
02 April 2024 | St. Marys, GA
21 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA
01 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA
23 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
15 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
11 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
06 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
26 January 2024 | St. Marys, GA
14 January 2024 | St. Marys, GA
09 January 2024 | St Marys, GA
23 December 2023 | St Marys, GA
10 December 2023 | St Marys, GA
25 November 2023 | St. Marys, GA
17 November 2023 | St. Marys, GA
17 November 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
03 November 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
26 October 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
17 October 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
11 October 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
Recent Blog Posts
07 April 2024 | St. Marys, GA

Clammy Hands

Items came in from TEMU, the Chinese cut rate retailer. One was a nice little drone that cost about twelve and a half dollars. It looked like an easy thing to play with while I coughed and sneezed. I was fighting a summer cold, even though it is not summer elsewhere, it seems like it here. A nice [...]

02 April 2024 | St. Marys, GA

Sun Doggie

After laminating the cedar strips onto the gunwales of the dinghy I found the screws I used wouldn’t come out. The epoxy had seized them. The screw heads were stripped so I cut a straight slot in the heads with the cut off wheel. The cedar smoked when the screw heads got red hot. I could remove [...]

21 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA

Just Add Water

The rainy weekend started off with overcast and fog but no rain. It looked like I might be able to get something done on the D4 dinghy. I wanted to change the bow seat which is really the bow deck. The sailing option uses the deck to hold the freestanding mast. I didn’t like how the deck looked, [...]

01 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA

D4 Dinghy Alternative Seats

The rain event was more wind than rain, strong winds with gusts up to 44 mph. We drove into town to see what the harbor was like. There was a small sailboat that had dragged anchor and was sitting close to shore. The tide was out. We left and played with Bleu at Notter’s Pond.

23 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA

D4 Inside Seams

Day two of the dinghy build started out with me finishing wiring the hull bottoms together on the centerline of the bottom panels. This was much easier than the wiring of the chine edges of the bottom panels and the side panels.

15 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA

D4 Dinghy Day One

A Wharram Pahi 26 had been anchored in the river nearby the boatyard and was hauled out with the travel lift. I went around to look at it and talked to the owner couple. I was surprised that it had been built in Martinique in 1988. The boat is more than 30 years old.

Port Rudder Fit

01 May 2016 | St. Mary's, GA
Capn Andy/Sunny and Warm
The big job of building new crossbeams at positions 2 and 3 was lurking ahead and I wasn’t enthusiastic about starting. The old crossbeams had to be cut apart and removed, but first the crossdeck that relied on the beams for support had to be supported by struts. Then the lumber had to be milled to the correct width and scarfs cut on the ends.
.
I did a small epoxy job on the starboard sternpost top gudgeon, filling it with “glue strong” where there was a void, and fairing it with the chocolate colored microsphere mix. I was using small round bowls from the dollar store (4 for a dollar) and my straight bladed trowels did not conform to the bowls. I made some DIY trowels out of some flat plastic that came from kitty litter pails. I put one of the bowls upside down over the plastic, ran a magic marker around the lip, cut out the round circle, and then cut the circle in half, producing two halfmoon shaped plastic trowels. They worked great. The round part fit the bowl and allowed mixing the fairing mix thoroughly, and then the straight edge part worked as well as the other straight edge trowels had.
.
The “glue strong” mix was made in a zip lock bag and the silica:milled fiber filler was mushed together with the resin right in the bag until it was the right consistency. Then it was squeezed through one of the bag’s corners, cut off just a bit, into the void in the gudgeon. The void was created when a layer of roving shifted, then hardened up like that, like a fold.
.
The port rudder was mounted very temporarily with wooden dowel pieces as rudder pivots, and the fit was examined and the rudder marked where it had to be relieved to allow movement hard over to hard over. All the cutting was done on the rudder, not on any of the gudgeons. The rudder was then taken down and cut with multitool, jig saw, and portable bandsaw. The edge of the cuts were right angles and they were rounded off with the trim router and a round off bit, then shaped further with the surform file and angle grinder with big 7“ flap disc.
.
The glue strong/microsphere mix was filed and sanded, then another layer was applied. The resin for that mix was first used to prime the rudder edge, then prime the gudgeon, then wet out small pieces of glass cloth on the rudder edges. The remaining resin was filled with the microspheres and a little bit of silica. Although only 1 1/2 oz. of resin were mixed initially, there was fairing mix left over when it was done.
.
The picture is of the port rudder temporarily pinned in place.
Comments

About & Links

SailBlogs Groups