Kaimusailing

s/v Kaimu Wharram Catamaran

Vessel Name: Kaimu
Vessel Make/Model: Wharram Custom
Hailing Port: Norwalk, CT
Crew: Andy and the Kaimu Crew
About: Sailors in the Baltimore, Annapolis, DC area.
17 April 2024 | St Marys, GA
07 April 2024 | St. Marys, GA
02 April 2024 | St. Marys, GA
21 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA
01 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA
23 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
15 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
11 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
06 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
26 January 2024 | St. Marys, GA
14 January 2024 | St. Marys, GA
09 January 2024 | St Marys, GA
23 December 2023 | St Marys, GA
10 December 2023 | St Marys, GA
25 November 2023 | St. Marys, GA
17 November 2023 | St. Marys, GA
17 November 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
03 November 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
26 October 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
17 October 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
Recent Blog Posts
17 April 2024 | St Marys, GA

Dinghy Skeg

I was suffering with what seemed like a cold and also had allergy symptoms. I awoke and felt fine. The green pollen that was coating everything was gone. Maybe it will return.

07 April 2024 | St. Marys, GA

Clammy Hands

Items came in from TEMU, the Chinese cut rate retailer. One was a nice little drone that cost about twelve and a half dollars. It looked like an easy thing to play with while I coughed and sneezed. I was fighting a summer cold, even though it is not summer elsewhere, it seems like it here. A nice [...]

02 April 2024 | St. Marys, GA

Sun Doggie

After laminating the cedar strips onto the gunwales of the dinghy I found the screws I used wouldn’t come out. The epoxy had seized them. The screw heads were stripped so I cut a straight slot in the heads with the cut off wheel. The cedar smoked when the screw heads got red hot. I could remove [...]

21 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA

Just Add Water

The rainy weekend started off with overcast and fog but no rain. It looked like I might be able to get something done on the D4 dinghy. I wanted to change the bow seat which is really the bow deck. The sailing option uses the deck to hold the freestanding mast. I didn’t like how the deck looked, [...]

01 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA

D4 Dinghy Alternative Seats

The rain event was more wind than rain, strong winds with gusts up to 44 mph. We drove into town to see what the harbor was like. There was a small sailboat that had dragged anchor and was sitting close to shore. The tide was out. We left and played with Bleu at Notter’s Pond.

23 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA

D4 Inside Seams

Day two of the dinghy build started out with me finishing wiring the hull bottoms together on the centerline of the bottom panels. This was much easier than the wiring of the chine edges of the bottom panels and the side panels.

Georgian Summer Break

29 June 2016 | St. Mary's, GA
Capn Andy/Hot and humid
Webb Chiles has posted his log of the voyage from Bundaberg to Darwin, Australia. He asks for help proofreading the log and there are a lot of typos in it. It is at inthepresentsea at blogspot.com. You can find out more about his little boat at http://moore24.org/.
.
A forecast for cooler weather also included rain which almost shut us down. I did a lot of reading and cut scarf bevels on the remaining planks in the woodshop. The next layer of planks was prefinished before the rain hit. I was concerned that the wood would get wet and I’d have to wait a couple of days before continuing.
.
There was a brief pause in the rain and I ran around covering things as best I could, then it poured down again.
.
The next day was cooler and cloudy with it spitting a little now and then. I prepared the beam for its top two layers of planks and made sure the planks had their excess epoxy sanded off.
.
The first of the top two layers of the beam went on one plank at a time. I was calculating 1 oz of epoxy per 100 sq inches of surface to be primed and covered with thickened epoxy. I found I had to add more, maybe 1 1/2 oz. per 100 sq inches. About a third of the epoxy is used raw to prime the wood, brushing it on with a thin coat, almost dry brush. Then the remainder is thickened with about twice the volume of the remaining epoxy of silica/milled fibers. I use 4:1 ratio, the experts say to use just a bit of the milled fibers, about 17:1.
.
I could have planked the whole length of the beam and done a layer of planks in one day, however the clamps prevented doing it that way. I had to slide some of the planks through the beam brackets to fit them into position while trying not to scrape off the epoxy glue mix. I ended up planking most of one layer, then finishing it the next day, then working on the next layer the following day and needing an extra day for that one too.
.
The end of the top layer, the last plank, wouldn’t fit at all, it needed to be cut in half and pieced into place. I cut a long scarf joint across the face of the board. It was 5 inches wide, so the scarf cut was 50 inches long. After the pieces were glued into place, they fit perfectly. Ron the woodworker said it was a “Naval Scarf Joint”. This is the way shipwrights repaired ships in the old days, at sea and at war. Planks had to be repaired in place, so scarf joints were cut across the face of the plank instead of across the width.
.
At this point I had used up the wood allotted for the beams. I guess there was no allotment for the pyramids or wedges on top of the beams. I measured the bevel, it was about 9:1. I will have to make another scarf jig to make the pyramids. For now we have run out of reasonable weather to work in, so it’s time to wrap things up for the summer, stow away, cover and secure, and take a midsummer break.
.
After closing up the boat and making sure that nothing would be affected by rain or wind, I packed up the Miata and hit the road north. The trip up to Annapolis is about 750 miles and the Miata runs a little over 250 miles on a tank of gas, so I had stops at Florence, SC and Petersburg, VA on the way up. I had one of the most disgusting sandwiches ever at the Arby’s in Florence. They had a beef brisket sandwich, which is something I really like, but theirs was very greasy, like over burned bacon. But I was hungry and ate it.
.
The picture is a painting by Teimuraz Gagnidze, of Georgia, not Georgia, USA, called “Summer” and is available at saatchiart.com.
Comments

About & Links

SailBlogs Groups