Kaimusailing

s/v Kaimu Wharram Catamaran

Vessel Name: Kaimu
Vessel Make/Model: Wharram Custom
Hailing Port: Norwalk, CT
Crew: Andy and the Kaimu Crew
About: Sailors in the Baltimore, Annapolis, DC area.
17 April 2024 | St Marys, GA
07 April 2024 | St. Marys, GA
02 April 2024 | St. Marys, GA
21 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA
01 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA
23 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
15 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
11 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
06 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
26 January 2024 | St. Marys, GA
14 January 2024 | St. Marys, GA
09 January 2024 | St Marys, GA
23 December 2023 | St Marys, GA
10 December 2023 | St Marys, GA
25 November 2023 | St. Marys, GA
17 November 2023 | St. Marys, GA
17 November 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
03 November 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
26 October 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
17 October 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
Recent Blog Posts
17 April 2024 | St Marys, GA

Dinghy Skeg

I was suffering with what seemed like a cold and also had allergy symptoms. I awoke and felt fine. The green pollen that was coating everything was gone. Maybe it will return.

07 April 2024 | St. Marys, GA

Clammy Hands

Items came in from TEMU, the Chinese cut rate retailer. One was a nice little drone that cost about twelve and a half dollars. It looked like an easy thing to play with while I coughed and sneezed. I was fighting a summer cold, even though it is not summer elsewhere, it seems like it here. A nice [...]

02 April 2024 | St. Marys, GA

Sun Doggie

After laminating the cedar strips onto the gunwales of the dinghy I found the screws I used wouldn’t come out. The epoxy had seized them. The screw heads were stripped so I cut a straight slot in the heads with the cut off wheel. The cedar smoked when the screw heads got red hot. I could remove [...]

21 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA

Just Add Water

The rainy weekend started off with overcast and fog but no rain. It looked like I might be able to get something done on the D4 dinghy. I wanted to change the bow seat which is really the bow deck. The sailing option uses the deck to hold the freestanding mast. I didn’t like how the deck looked, [...]

01 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA

D4 Dinghy Alternative Seats

The rain event was more wind than rain, strong winds with gusts up to 44 mph. We drove into town to see what the harbor was like. There was a small sailboat that had dragged anchor and was sitting close to shore. The tide was out. We left and played with Bleu at Notter’s Pond.

23 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA

D4 Inside Seams

Day two of the dinghy build started out with me finishing wiring the hull bottoms together on the centerline of the bottom panels. This was much easier than the wiring of the chine edges of the bottom panels and the side panels.

Model Proa

11 July 2016 | Bodkin Inlet, Chesapeake Bay
Capn Andy/Hot and humid
The offsets for the 12 foot ama were entered in a text file. Then they were used to cut out paper patterns of the hull sides and bulkheads. The inboard hull side is raised about 1 1/2 inches to meet the outriggers as they arch down and attach to the gunwales. At the 12:1 scale this difference is only about an eighth of an inch.
.
The paper patterns for the model ama hull sides were test fit on a scale 4X8 plywood sheet (also paper) and both sides of the 12 foot ama can come out of a single sheet of 3 mm door skin, readily available at the local lumber store. There is about 8 square feet of leftover that could be used for butt blocks and any other small thin ply parts.
.
I reviewed lots of small boat building websites and also John Gardner’s book on building small craft. On the CLCBoats.com site are instructional videos for strip planking. The fellow demonstrating technique is Nick Schade (I think). He shows the whole process from cutting the thin strips out of a plank, surface planing, matching grain, and organizing the strips so that they don’t get out of order. The end result is beautiful, but the process is tedious.
.
There are also sites that show tortured ply construction, not many. I think the technique I used a couple years ago is difficult to improve. I assembled the flat hull panels with butt joints between sections of the hull side, left unjoined, but joined together by sheer stringers that ran the whole length of the hull side. I planned to put them outboard where they can be used to help clamp the deck and also help deflect spray. The hull sides are laid on top of each other and wired along the keel from knuckle to knuckle, then opened up, and bulkheads forced down into the hull with spanish windlass attached to the gunwales, over the top of the bulkhead. Tightening the windlass draws the gunwales, which have been strengthened by the sheer stringers, against the bulkhead, as well as pushing the bulkhead into the hull and forcing the hull sides into shape.
.
The problem with making a double ended hull shape with tortured ply is that any seams in the hull panels are not straight lines and are a difficult curve to predict. By leaving the seams unjoined until after the hull is forced into shape, the seams can be trimmed to fit. It is no problem to wind up the windlasses several times to force the hull into shape, then mark, then unwind, cut, then wind up again to check, and finally glue the butt blocks and join the panels when all is tried and true.
.
Oops! I meant to post this as soon as I had some photos of the model and I had to go out and get more supplies, no photos yet..
.
A search of “proa model” brought up Astrid Obonaga’s DESDE PROA as the first image. It is available for purchase at saatchiart.com. Other images came up, but would not be appropriate for this sailing site. I will peruse them further.
Comments

About & Links

SailBlogs Groups