Kaimusailing

s/v Kaimu Wharram Catamaran

Vessel Name: Kaimu
Vessel Make/Model: Wharram Custom
Hailing Port: Norwalk, CT
Crew: Andy and the Kaimu Crew
About: Sailors in the Baltimore, Annapolis, DC area.
21 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA
01 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA
23 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
15 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
11 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
06 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
26 January 2024 | St. Marys, GA
14 January 2024 | St. Marys, GA
09 January 2024 | St Marys, GA
23 December 2023 | St Marys, GA
10 December 2023 | St Marys, GA
25 November 2023 | St. Marys, GA
17 November 2023 | St. Marys, GA
17 November 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
03 November 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
26 October 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
17 October 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
11 October 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
04 October 2023 | Alice B. Tawes, McReady Pavilion, Crisfield, Maryland Eastern Shore
03 October 2023 | Alice B. Tawes, McReady Pavilion, Crisfield, Maryland Eastern Shore
Recent Blog Posts
21 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA

Just Add Water

The rainy weekend started off with overcast and fog but no rain. It looked like I might be able to get something done on the D4 dinghy. I wanted to change the bow seat which is really the bow deck. The sailing option uses the deck to hold the freestanding mast. I didn’t like how the deck looked, [...]

01 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA

D4 Dinghy Alternative Seats

The rain event was more wind than rain, strong winds with gusts up to 44 mph. We drove into town to see what the harbor was like. There was a small sailboat that had dragged anchor and was sitting close to shore. The tide was out. We left and played with Bleu at Notter’s Pond.

23 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA

D4 Inside Seams

Day two of the dinghy build started out with me finishing wiring the hull bottoms together on the centerline of the bottom panels. This was much easier than the wiring of the chine edges of the bottom panels and the side panels.

15 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA

D4 Dinghy Day One

A Wharram Pahi 26 had been anchored in the river nearby the boatyard and was hauled out with the travel lift. I went around to look at it and talked to the owner couple. I was surprised that it had been built in Martinique in 1988. The boat is more than 30 years old.

11 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA

D4 Redux

The inflatable (deflatable) dinghy I had bought was deteriorating. It had bottom seams separating. It is a West Marine branded dinghy made out of PVC. HH66 is the adhesive to reattach the seams. A friend had a similar problem and bought the same adhesive. I was waiting to hear from him how it worked [...]

06 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA

The Clincher

We decided to go to Amelia Island for the day, probably to the beach. Our plan to cycle around on the Raleigh 20’s seemed like a bad idea, Bleu can’t keep up with a bicycle for very long and when he quits he quits. So we would walk, where?, Fort Clinch State Park. She has a forever pass for Florida [...]

Emergency

04 January 2017 | St Marys, GA
Capn Andy/winter
The power supply I was using to power up the toughbooks failed and I had to resist the urge to continue using them for fear of draining the batteries dead. The blog article and photos were left till a new power supply came in and the Windows laptop was brought back into service. The horrible Windows 10 update debacle seems to have passed. I have shut off automatic update, search for updates, anything to do with updates.
.
I had been writing about using a cheap Chinese GPS puck with Navigatrix and the problems in identifying what tty device linux thinks the GPS is. It can be serial port, usb port, or asm (asynchronous serial something). Another GPS device came in from China, a USB dongle that has no cable, just plugs right in.
.
I haven't tried it with the linux machines, but windows didn't automatically identify it and load a driver for it, the driver was obtained from the U-blox manufacturers site. After installing a piece of software from them, the GPS was recognized in OpenCPN running in Windows.
.
I was trying to get more work done on the exterior of Kaimu while the weather was still warm enough to use epoxy, even though it was taking a couple of days to cure. While climbing onto a rickety aluminum ladder/scaffold, it wobbled away from the boat, causing me to take a step out into thin air and land down below on my outstretched leg. Pain. What is called a hyperextended knee. I tried to pedal the bicycle around to loosen it up, which seemed to be working, until I stopped and stepped to the ground. At the last moment I realized I was landing on the same bad leg and now the pain was even worse. Embarrassing. Now I was out of commission for a while and limping very slowly to get anywhere. I could drive the car after 2 days.
.
The weather cooperated by bringing along a severe cold front including tornado warnings and heavy rain. I was too sore to get everything covered with plastic, so I have a lot of wet stuff to dry out.
.
An order from Harbor Freight Tools came in, including some savage looking 36 grit grinding discs and sanding belts. Also a couple boxes of chip brushes that I had ordered for Bonhomme Richard were traded for a short roll of fiberglass cloth. His wife handed the cloth to me and said Richard was in too much pain to come work on the boat today. He had a boatyard related injury. Later I spoke with steamfitter Bill who had fallen off a ladder and broken 3 ribs. Our courtesy car was in the process of being repaired. I said maybe we don't need a courtesy car, maybe we need an ambulance.
.
When I searched for ambulance on saatchiart.com the above image came up, called Emergency, by Ricardo Salles of the U.K., a painting available for purchase.
Comments

About & Links

SailBlogs Groups