BFB Test Fit
05 March 2017 | St. Marys, GA
Capn Andy/mild winter
The epoxy order was on its way so I used up the last little bit I had, priming the main hull’s decks and the bow compartments. The ama deck was primed and then I was out of epoxy.
I could do other woodwork, trimming gunwales with the trim router, rounding off the square edges, but keeping the square edges wherever the crossbeams intersected the gunwales. The inboard side deck coaming was rounded off on 3 edges to facilitate the fiberglass wrapping around it. The corresponding piece of wood on the outboard coaming was also rounded off.
The epoxy came in and I got to work, using almost a gallon in two days. The inboard side deck received fiberglass on a 3 foot section amidships. This locks the midships edge of the side deck so that the coaming can be lifted until the ends of the side deck are even with the bulkheads. The outboard side deck was totally fiberglassed, filling in the spaces between the previously glassed sections on the top side of the side deck, and the complete underside was glassed in one session. This took two days, glassing the top on one day and the bottom on the next.
The glassing of the foam core of the side decks was done in steps, first priming with unthickened epoxy, then troweling on epoxy thickened with microballoons, then laying the first layer of glass on top of that, then wetting out the glass with unthickened epoxy, then adding the second layer of glass and wetting that out. Whew.
It was time to cut the coaming where the crossbeams crossed it, so the boat was jigged together with clamps and sawhorses. The picture is of the boat after the coaming has been slotted for the crossbeams, with the hiking seat resting on the crossbeams. It looks like the outboard side deck will need spacers between its outer edge and the crossbeams. The plan is to attach the side deck to the crossbeams to support the weight without breaking the hull’s gunwale, where the side deck is attached.