Kaimusailing

s/v Kaimu Wharram Catamaran

Vessel Name: Kaimu
Vessel Make/Model: Wharram Custom
Hailing Port: Norwalk, CT
Crew: Andy and the Kaimu Crew
About: Sailors in the Baltimore, Annapolis, DC area.
24 March 2017 | St. Marys, GA
23 March 2017 | St. Marys, GA
20 March 2017 | St. Marys, GA
15 March 2017 | St. Marys, GA
05 March 2017 | St. Marys, GA
28 February 2017 | St. Marys, GA
24 February 2017 | St. Marys, GA
24 February 2017 | St. Marys, GA
24 February 2017 | St. Marys, GA
18 February 2017 | St. Marys, GA
11 February 2017 | St. Marys, GA
11 February 2017 | St. Marys, GA
09 February 2017 | St. Marys, GA
06 February 2017 | St. Marys, GA
31 January 2017 | St. Marys, GA
22 January 2017 | St. Marys, GA
12 January 2017 | St. Marys, GA
04 January 2017 | St Marys, GA
29 December 2016 | St. Marys, GA
26 December 2016 | St. Marys, GA
Recent Blog Posts
24 March 2017 | St. Marys, GA

French Toggles

The goal is to refinish the foredecks and the rest of the cabin sides by the end of the month. Some work on the outrigger canoe is being done at the same time.

23 March 2017 | St. Marys, GA

24 In. Multipurpose Trim Guard

I can tell when I have undesirable work ahead of me, I start doing everything else that I can think of. The hatch installation job was set aside so I could do something else, which turned out to be the proa, outrigger canoe, project. Now I had to get back to the hatches, but I still found other things [...]

20 March 2017 | St. Marys, GA

Birdseye View

It was time to return to working on the big catamaran and the installation of the new large Bomar hatches. I had cut out the hatch coamings to accept the new hatches and added new wood to the perimeter of the coamings to compensate for the wood removed. In order to get a perfect fit, I taped off the [...]

15 March 2017 | St. Marys, GA

BeamBrackets and Cold Snap

The remaining fiberglass work on the outrigger canoe included the underside of the inboard side deck and the bottom of the main hull. The inboard side deck already received a 3 foot wide fiberglass belt amidships and now only needed two 3 1/2 foot sections fore and aft to be completed. These are the [...]

05 March 2017 | St. Marys, GA

BFB Test Fit

The epoxy order was on its way so I used up the last little bit I had, priming the main hull’s decks and the bow compartments. The ama deck was primed and then I was out of epoxy.

28 February 2017 | St. Marys, GA

Side Deck Trouble

I had to order more epoxy, I was using it like a fiend. Laminating the hiking seat took 900 ml, about a quart, and that was only for the core. The two layers of fiberglass that wrap it will take as much or even more.

Birdseye View

20 March 2017 | St. Marys, GA
Capn Andy/mild winter
It was time to return to working on the big catamaran and the installation of the new large Bomar hatches. I had cut out the hatch coamings to accept the new hatches and added new wood to the perimeter of the coamings to compensate for the wood removed. In order to get a perfect fit, I taped off the mating surface of the hatches and bedded them down on the coamings with an epoxy filler. When I now removed the hatches it was apparent that the filler hadn't filled all the space between the hatches and the coaming. I mixed up a new batch of filler, retaped the surface of the hatches, and jammed it all back together. Due to the cold weather it will take a few days to be sure the filler has set up.
.
Meanwhile the canoe received a coat of "sand beige" paint on its decks and gunwales. On the one hand it made the decks all one color, on the other hand it revealed some rough spots in the finish.
.
Sad news from Captain Lou who lost his boat in St. Andrew's Inlet. Lou was the fellow who rowed so forcefully just before hurricane Matthew and we set additional anchors for our two boats. His Sea Sprite was a very pretty, well maintained boat and hearing that he had lost it was startling. How could such a capable boat and skipper come to grief? He believes that an old rudder repair failed. He could not control the boat and ended up getting pounded on a shoal until the boat began to take on water. He was rescued by the Coast Guard and was heartbroken, but not injured.
.
I did some work on the mast and rig. I had one of the Lewmar blocks that had failed, but the sheave was still good. Then I had a Harken block whose sheave had disappeared. I ripped apart (it was half apart anyway) the Lewmar to get the sheave, tried a 1/2" bolt as an axle for the sheave, it worked, then drilled the Harken block to accommodate the bolt. Now I had a good single block to use on the mast. The Garhauer block from Sailor's Exchange was mounted at the masthead for the spinnaker halyard. The remaining blocks were Harken, even if one had a Lewmar sheave, and they were used for the staysail halyard and topsail halyard. The foot of the mast had been damaged and about 2" were cut off to make the foot square again. The main halyard winch was jammed with its handle corroded in place. It looks like I will replace the jib and main halyard winches with some leftover 2 speed winches.
.
Radio Bill sent me an unexpected email with a photo he took while up his mast. It shows Kaimu and Richard's Antigua side by side. Richard's boat looks pristine, Kaimu not so much. You can see the cabin tops and rear decks are painted on Kaimu, new solar panels in place, new forward hatches in place but not yet bedded in.
Comments
Gallery Error: Unknown Album [1:]:6137
Kaimu's Photos -

About & Links

SailBlogs Groups