Kaimusailing

s/v Kaimu Wharram Catamaran

Vessel Name: Kaimu
Vessel Make/Model: Wharram Custom
Hailing Port: Norwalk, CT
Crew: Andy and the Kaimu Crew
About: Sailors in the Baltimore, Annapolis, DC area.
21 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA
01 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA
23 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
15 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
11 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
06 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
26 January 2024 | St. Marys, GA
14 January 2024 | St. Marys, GA
09 January 2024 | St Marys, GA
23 December 2023 | St Marys, GA
10 December 2023 | St Marys, GA
25 November 2023 | St. Marys, GA
17 November 2023 | St. Marys, GA
17 November 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
03 November 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
26 October 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
17 October 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
11 October 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
04 October 2023 | Alice B. Tawes, McReady Pavilion, Crisfield, Maryland Eastern Shore
03 October 2023 | Alice B. Tawes, McReady Pavilion, Crisfield, Maryland Eastern Shore
Recent Blog Posts
21 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA

Just Add Water

The rainy weekend started off with overcast and fog but no rain. It looked like I might be able to get something done on the D4 dinghy. I wanted to change the bow seat which is really the bow deck. The sailing option uses the deck to hold the freestanding mast. I didn’t like how the deck looked, [...]

01 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA

D4 Dinghy Alternative Seats

The rain event was more wind than rain, strong winds with gusts up to 44 mph. We drove into town to see what the harbor was like. There was a small sailboat that had dragged anchor and was sitting close to shore. The tide was out. We left and played with Bleu at Notter’s Pond.

23 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA

D4 Inside Seams

Day two of the dinghy build started out with me finishing wiring the hull bottoms together on the centerline of the bottom panels. This was much easier than the wiring of the chine edges of the bottom panels and the side panels.

15 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA

D4 Dinghy Day One

A Wharram Pahi 26 had been anchored in the river nearby the boatyard and was hauled out with the travel lift. I went around to look at it and talked to the owner couple. I was surprised that it had been built in Martinique in 1988. The boat is more than 30 years old.

11 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA

D4 Redux

The inflatable (deflatable) dinghy I had bought was deteriorating. It had bottom seams separating. It is a West Marine branded dinghy made out of PVC. HH66 is the adhesive to reattach the seams. A friend had a similar problem and bought the same adhesive. I was waiting to hear from him how it worked [...]

06 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA

The Clincher

We decided to go to Amelia Island for the day, probably to the beach. Our plan to cycle around on the Raleigh 20’s seemed like a bad idea, Bleu can’t keep up with a bicycle for very long and when he quits he quits. So we would walk, where?, Fort Clinch State Park. She has a forever pass for Florida [...]

Hot Arbor

25 July 2017 | st marys, ga
Capn Andy/100 degrees F.
The arborist, boatyard owner, chief crane operator, and manager was hosing the roots of his most recent victim, so I took a picture. The crane is used to hoist the tree, roots and all, right out of the ground. Typically more than half the weight of the trunk and roots is dirt, and hosing the roots washes out the dirt. After most of the dirt is washed away, the trunk is removed from the roots, cut into firewood, and split on a hydraulic splitter. The roots are loaded onto a big trailer and carted away. Meanwhile, gravel and granite chips have to be trucked in to fill the hole left by the roots. The fill is compacted and the result is a very hard surface that can support heavy equipment, such as the travelift, or the big crane.
.
These fellows were laboring in very hot weather. The heat index was at about 120 every day, peaking around 2 PM and slowly dropping to only 100 or so by quitting time, which should have been around 11 AM. Thunderstorms might come along and cool things off, but then you can’t do anything out in a downpour. So, while the Georgia Boys do very strenuous work in the heat, the Yankee boatbuilder hides from the heat and does little jobs in the shade.
.
I made preparations for a trip to Hawaii, but goofed up the return and will arrive back in the heat of August. Summer is a long process in Georgia. Most of the boaters have left the boatyard for cooler regions and most plan on not returning before September. The boatyard is like a ghost town, anyone who is still here is not out and about. The public library is a favorite hangout. My own reading is on the kindle and I make do with a fan to keep me relatively cool.
.
I was surprised that Webb Chiles is on his way to Marathon, Florida, down South in the Keys. The temperature there this morning was heat index of 100, just to start the day, humidity 85 per cent. Yuck. Marathon is great in winter, somewhat hot even then, but in summer it’s brutal.
.
Capn “Radio” Bill has resumed his transatlantic voyage, leaving the Azores for the Mediterranean. Captain Kristian reported from New York City, so he has made it most of the way back to Boston. While these sailors have departed from St Marys, others have started coming in, in spite of the hot weather. One boat came in through the shoal that sits right in front of the travel lift well. The deep water is close to shore. After they renegotiated the approach, coming from further upstream and along the shore, they asked if they could be hauled out. They had called repeatedly by cell phone, but the boatyard has been too busy to take new customers, does not advertise, and thus, the phone is not always answered, especially if there is a tree at the end of the crane. So, they have to tie up rafted to another boat or sit at anchor and wait in line for their turn to be hauled out.
.
The photo is of a tree on the end of the crane.
Comments

About & Links

SailBlogs Groups