Kaimusailing

s/v Kaimu Wharram Catamaran

Vessel Name: Kaimu
Vessel Make/Model: Wharram Custom
Hailing Port: Norwalk, CT
Crew: Andy and the Kaimu Crew
About: Sailors in the Baltimore, Annapolis, DC area.
17 April 2024 | St Marys, GA
07 April 2024 | St. Marys, GA
02 April 2024 | St. Marys, GA
21 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA
01 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA
23 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
15 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
11 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
06 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
26 January 2024 | St. Marys, GA
14 January 2024 | St. Marys, GA
09 January 2024 | St Marys, GA
23 December 2023 | St Marys, GA
10 December 2023 | St Marys, GA
25 November 2023 | St. Marys, GA
17 November 2023 | St. Marys, GA
17 November 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
03 November 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
26 October 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
17 October 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
Recent Blog Posts
17 April 2024 | St Marys, GA

Dinghy Skeg

I was suffering with what seemed like a cold and also had allergy symptoms. I awoke and felt fine. The green pollen that was coating everything was gone. Maybe it will return.

07 April 2024 | St. Marys, GA

Clammy Hands

Items came in from TEMU, the Chinese cut rate retailer. One was a nice little drone that cost about twelve and a half dollars. It looked like an easy thing to play with while I coughed and sneezed. I was fighting a summer cold, even though it is not summer elsewhere, it seems like it here. A nice [...]

02 April 2024 | St. Marys, GA

Sun Doggie

After laminating the cedar strips onto the gunwales of the dinghy I found the screws I used wouldn’t come out. The epoxy had seized them. The screw heads were stripped so I cut a straight slot in the heads with the cut off wheel. The cedar smoked when the screw heads got red hot. I could remove [...]

21 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA

Just Add Water

The rainy weekend started off with overcast and fog but no rain. It looked like I might be able to get something done on the D4 dinghy. I wanted to change the bow seat which is really the bow deck. The sailing option uses the deck to hold the freestanding mast. I didn’t like how the deck looked, [...]

01 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA

D4 Dinghy Alternative Seats

The rain event was more wind than rain, strong winds with gusts up to 44 mph. We drove into town to see what the harbor was like. There was a small sailboat that had dragged anchor and was sitting close to shore. The tide was out. We left and played with Bleu at Notter’s Pond.

23 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA

D4 Inside Seams

Day two of the dinghy build started out with me finishing wiring the hull bottoms together on the centerline of the bottom panels. This was much easier than the wiring of the chine edges of the bottom panels and the side panels.

Super Mooned

02 December 2017 | st marys, ga, earth
Capn Andy/chilly Fall
On the last delivery the owner was replacing a couple of electronics and was going to toss the old units into the trash. I asked for them and now will try to sell them on eBay. I’ve never sold anything on eBay before. One unit is a Raymarine AIS650 transceiver, which is a great unit if you have a Raymarine system. On the owner’s boat it was transmitting the old name of the boat and of course was colliding with the new boat, constantly. No wonder he wanted to get rid of it. However, it is both a transmitter and receiver, so you get AIS contacts to send to your Raymarine chartplotter, plus you are transmitting your own AIS information and letting other vessels know where you are, who you are, and your course and speed. I could probably interface this unit with OpenCPN on the Getac laptop. Maybe I will if it doesn’t sell.
.
The other unit is a Garmin 421 chartplotter. The 4 in the model number indicates the size of the display, 4 inches. Kind of small. It is a size that is adequate for a depth sounder, and if this unit were the 421s, it would accept a depth transducer. The s is for sonar. This unit will also be up for sale. It would be perfect for the little C&C 24, Trillium, but we’ve found that the Getac is the preferred navigation display and I can just lug it along onto the little boat. I navigated all the way down from Annapolis using my android phone, but maybe that was not wise.
.
I have some other nautical items to dispose of. Let’s see how eBay works, I can lighten the boat and stash some cash.
.
They say this is the last super moon of 2017, so I took a long look at it with the Skymasters. It was hard to keep them steady. Although the moon looks bright, there is enough stuff in the atmosphere to smudge it a bit. I decided to take a picture of it and got out the old Alpex lens. Because it is a manual lens, I had to refresh my memory about how to set up the camera. I wasn’t satisfied with the first results and decided to compare the image to a blown up image using the standard wide angle zoom lens that Canon sold with many of these cameras. They are not the highest quality lenses. I once more had to go back to the camera manual to find out how to manually set the iris on the automatic lens. I used the same settings as on the Alpex and shot at f11. When I blew up the wide angle image, which was zoomed as close as possible, it looked just a bit sharper than the Alpex image. The moon was now higher in the sky and thus not as much atmosphere was in the way. I had to take another shot with the Alpex and it too was sharper than the earlier shots. The image is cropped a bit from that shot.
Comments

About & Links

SailBlogs Groups