Kaimusailing

s/v Kaimu Wharram Catamaran

Vessel Name: Kaimu
Vessel Make/Model: Wharram Custom
Hailing Port: Norwalk, CT
Crew: Andy and the Kaimu Crew
About: Sailors in the Baltimore, Annapolis, DC area.
21 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA
01 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA
23 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
15 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
11 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
06 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
26 January 2024 | St. Marys, GA
14 January 2024 | St. Marys, GA
09 January 2024 | St Marys, GA
23 December 2023 | St Marys, GA
10 December 2023 | St Marys, GA
25 November 2023 | St. Marys, GA
17 November 2023 | St. Marys, GA
17 November 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
03 November 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
26 October 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
17 October 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
11 October 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
04 October 2023 | Alice B. Tawes, McReady Pavilion, Crisfield, Maryland Eastern Shore
03 October 2023 | Alice B. Tawes, McReady Pavilion, Crisfield, Maryland Eastern Shore
Recent Blog Posts
21 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA

Just Add Water

The rainy weekend started off with overcast and fog but no rain. It looked like I might be able to get something done on the D4 dinghy. I wanted to change the bow seat which is really the bow deck. The sailing option uses the deck to hold the freestanding mast. I didn’t like how the deck looked, [...]

01 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA

D4 Dinghy Alternative Seats

The rain event was more wind than rain, strong winds with gusts up to 44 mph. We drove into town to see what the harbor was like. There was a small sailboat that had dragged anchor and was sitting close to shore. The tide was out. We left and played with Bleu at Notter’s Pond.

23 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA

D4 Inside Seams

Day two of the dinghy build started out with me finishing wiring the hull bottoms together on the centerline of the bottom panels. This was much easier than the wiring of the chine edges of the bottom panels and the side panels.

15 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA

D4 Dinghy Day One

A Wharram Pahi 26 had been anchored in the river nearby the boatyard and was hauled out with the travel lift. I went around to look at it and talked to the owner couple. I was surprised that it had been built in Martinique in 1988. The boat is more than 30 years old.

11 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA

D4 Redux

The inflatable (deflatable) dinghy I had bought was deteriorating. It had bottom seams separating. It is a West Marine branded dinghy made out of PVC. HH66 is the adhesive to reattach the seams. A friend had a similar problem and bought the same adhesive. I was waiting to hear from him how it worked [...]

06 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA

The Clincher

We decided to go to Amelia Island for the day, probably to the beach. Our plan to cycle around on the Raleigh 20’s seemed like a bad idea, Bleu can’t keep up with a bicycle for very long and when he quits he quits. So we would walk, where?, Fort Clinch State Park. She has a forever pass for Florida [...]

Cold Voyages

27 January 2018 | st marys, ga
Capn Andy/chilly winter
It is Monday evening and the entertainment is Capn Webb’s track up the east coast of Florida up to Hilton Head Island, a tracking position posted every 4 hours. Unfortunately he is going so fast, our entertainment will be done probably tomorrow evening. He will probably hit some thunderstorms tonight but the wind prediction is going all right for him. His tracking software says he is going almost 8 knots over the ground.
.
It was warm today so I worked on the area of the topsides above the old waterline up to the new boot strip marking, a strip of arctic white cyanoacrylic urethane that had to be removed to make way for the bottom paint. The bottom paint will be painted in the first two coats of hard bottom paint up about 3 inches higher than the actual waterline, then later a couple coats of ablative bottom paint of a contrasting color will be painted up to the actual waterline, leaving a 3 inch strip around the boat, a boot stripe. It is this narrow band that needs to be ground off.
.
The urethane arctic white has turned out to be very hard paint and very hard to sand off. It was painted on a prepared surface over a coat of epoxy, wet on wet. After sanding a while on the boot stripe I realized that it wasn’t coming off, it would be best to leave it on and prepare it for bottom paint which will be done much later, after the entire hull bottom is repaired and faired, including the keels.
.
Capn Webb made it into port and has posted a log of his voyage on his blog, er, journal, site. Unfortunately the season is in a cold spell, so he will probably not venture out on his boat, but many do go sailing in cold conditions.
.
I am reminded of my own trip down to Marathon when Kaimu was not yet completely fitted out (ever?). I hand steered the whole way down from Connecticut and listened to a night time radio show that the truckers would listen to, Coast to Coast AM. This was a show that would host the most preposterous theories, aliens, conspiracies, urban and redneck legends, and I listened to them to stay awake and pass the time. Sailing a boat at 5 knots is like driving a semi truck on a hundred mile wide road.
.
When I got to Marathon I ended up anchoring. There was a mooring field and anchoring at that time and maybe not much room to anchor these days. I got a phone call from England and it was the sister of the deceased boatbuilder whose estate sold the boat. She had been in contact during the sale of the boat and now she asked me questions, what is the color of the water, who is on the boat with me, and I answered, emerald, and I am sailing alone.
.
She had been to a medium, a seer, and believed she could find out about the spirit of her dead brother. I related a couple of stories I had heard on the radio program about spirits. I knew she was a licensed dive instructor so I told the story of Graham Hancock, who is an archeologist who learned scuba diving to conduct undersea archeology. His theory is that there must have been a civilization more ancient than the Egyptians. The Atlantis story may have been true. On the radio program he recounted compelling evidence that there is significant history entombed below the sea, hidden by silt and the difficulty of exploration under the sea.
.
She exclaimed that’s him on the telly now. She left the call to watch the show. Later I got another call from her and she told me about a dive they had done in the Red Sea, I think it was called the Purple Reef or something like that. It was a deep dive and time at that depth was short and precious. One diver had gone off a bit and saw what he said were steps and columns, like old ruins, and they had to go down there again. The others didn’t want to give up their diving time to follow him, but in the end they did, and they saw what he had seen, columns and ancient ruins more than a hundred feet down. When they returned to shore from that trip they told what they had seen and the authorities made that reef off limits for further dives.
.
When you are disorganized it is hard to keep up with everything, so I found out, when I went to Graham Hancock’s website, it was different. He now had a blog. Some comments mentioned hoping he got better, hoping he would recover. From what I wondered, and kept going back to see his entries of medical emergencies, seizures, first while he is researching a new book on ancient North America, diagnosed with a TIA, sort of a mild stroke, while in the southwest, but then later in England having grand mal seizures and hospitalization, induced coma, and coming to with his wife and children all around his hospital bed, some flying in from Los Angeles. What is going on, he wondered. He was having reactions from a drug he was using to fight migraine headaches. He had a tachycardia heart condition and coupled with the reactions from the migraine drug, he was liable for a stroke. Fortunately he survived all that, but now has to deal with the migraines without that medication.
.
There is an excellent video on you tube by Graham Hancock, but I am sure his conclusions are probably not correct, completely. He has latched onto evidence that seems to corroborate his ice age civilization theory, yet it probably all does not fit together as perfectly as he would like us to think. There are probably many under sea archeologic sites to investigate and I would expect to find out some cities that have been inundated by the melting of the ice age, and probably there was once a civilization that was flooded out. It’s in the Bible.
.
There is an ancient map of Antarctica that doesn’t look like present day Antarctica, it shows the shoreline without ice, which can be now scanned with radar through the ice, so it is baffling how the ancients had such a map. Ice is translucent to certain frequencies of radar, and we have good images, much like Google Earth of Greenland and Antarctica, of the underlying bedrock. So I have tried to get online the image of the ancient map but we have a graphic that is not the old depiction, which I would still like to see. But it is based on the old map, so it shows the shoreline and where mountains are. I think Antarctica will be bare of ice again someday. If we humans are around at that time, we will certainly have a strange world, to us now, to deal with.
Comments

About & Links

SailBlogs Groups