|Vessel Make/Model:||Wharram Custom|
|Hailing Port:||Norwalk, CT|
|Crew:||Andy and the Kaimu Crew|
|About:||Sailors in the Baltimore, Annapolis, DC area.|
I went to Webb Chiles new blog, at http://self-portraitinthepresentseajournal.blogspot.com/, and found the link to his tracking device, https://my.yb.tl/gannet, and looked at his track from New Zealand on the way to Australia. I was showing it to the woodworker in the woodshop and he said, “Is he [...]
When I put a coat of raw epoxy on my experimental fairing job, the flaws showed up, as bad as ever. My technique was not fool proof, it required more diligence. It is hard to see the unfairness of the first “corduroy” layer after it is sanded. The next “flat” layer needs the corduroy to be [...]
Today’s work consisted of redoing yesterday’s failed painting and fairing attempts. Repainting without using any primer went OK. I found in Goudgeon’s book on epoxy construction the reference that epoxy does not normally need a primer, that paint will adhere to a properly sanded epoxy surface. . The [...]
I tried to use raw epoxy as a primer and put a thin coat on one side of one of the rudders, then came back later and tried to lay on a coat of arctic white. It did not work out very well, the brush dragged and I had to put more paint on than ususal. Then, later, the finish did not have the same fresh [...]
After I squared up the slot in the stem post, I found a piece of wood and cut it in the communal woodshop, first cut it to fit the dimensions of the slot, then rounded it off, pounded it in, and marked it to cut the excess.
The phenolic microballoons were running out and I had missed a chance to order more of them along with my colloidal silica order. Raka epoxy was closed for the weekend, so it would be about a week before a new order could arrive.